Recommend Sound Card w/ MIDI?

Post by David Be » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi -

Can anyone recommend a MIDI-capable sound card for use with linux?  It is
for a machine without PnP.  It is for a friend who at some point in the
future may buy a MIDI keyboard.

Thanks,
-David

Class of '99                                                    (916) 757-6005
UC-Davis School of Medicine                    http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~dbetz

1. Recommended sound card for midi on slackware

 For years I have had an ES1371 style card and for years sound has been
a struggle, in particular
midi. Currently I run Slackware 10.1 on my work partition and Slackware
10.2 on my testing partition.
I am about to give up on the ES1371. Helpful people have written long
dissertations on using Timidity++ and Fluidsynth. Nothing seems to work
for me. So I am looking to bypass that set of problems altogether
via a soundcard with built-in midi patches, like my older ISA
soundcards used to have. It is personally embarassing to boot up Win
2000 every time I need to listen to a hymn that I have keyed in and
converted to midi.  As a cantor in my church this is a "got to have,"
not a "nice to have" feature.

So here is my question: What is a good pci sound card that works with
Alsa and has built in midi capability including the midi patches? I do
not need ultimate performance, just something that works with a minimum
of twiddling.

All replies appreciated.

John Culleton

2. runaway processes

3. Installing Roland Rap-10 midi card and C-media CM8330 sound card

4. Q:how to change ulimit

5. Which graphics card & sound card would be recommended for a new pc

6. The Modem stops responding.

7. sound + SCSI + MIDI on one card?

8. UCLA short course on "UNIX Kernel Internals"

9. Problems with an es1371 sound card (midi)

10. ESS1868 sound card won't play midi

11. How to use sound card midi

12. Good sound cards & Linux / X-Windows (& MIDI)

13. MIDI on TechnoPlus sound card