HDD upgrade for Inspiron

Post by Fran_Klei » Thu, 09 May 2002 09:38:04

Is there any hope of getting a 7200 rpm 60GB HDD on an Inspiron 8200.
Dell's 60GB is only 5400 rpm.  I'm thinking of getting the base option
and instantly upgrading to 60/7200, but I've never changed the hard
drive on a laptop, and don't know how feasible it is to do this sort
of upgrade.

Thanks!

Fran

HDD upgrade for Inspiron

Post by CRH » Thu, 09 May 2002 10:45:29

> Is there any hope of getting a 7200 rpm 60GB HDD on an Inspiron 8200.
> Dell's 60GB is only 5400 rpm.  I'm thinking of getting the base option
> and instantly upgrading to 60/7200, but I've never changed the hard
> drive on a laptop, and don't know how feasible it is to do this sort
> of upgrade.

Laptop hard drives haven't made it to 7200 RPM yet. Be thankful you have a 5400. Most are still 4200 (and mine) and believe me, it makes for a real dog!

Technology and the good fortune to afford it has made us spoiled rotten.........

--
Live Long and Prosper,
CRH

HDD upgrade for Inspiron

Post by Florian Leeb » Fri, 10 May 2002 02:50:43

> > Is there any hope of getting a 7200 rpm 60GB HDD on an Inspiron 8200.
> > Dell's 60GB is only 5400 rpm.  I'm thinking of getting the base option
> > and instantly upgrading to 60/7200, but I've never changed the hard
> > drive on a laptop, and don't know how feasible it is to do this sort
> > of upgrade.

> Laptop hard drives haven't made it to 7200 RPM yet. Be thankful you have
> a 5400. Most are still 4200 (and mine) and believe me, it makes for a
> real dog!

> Technology and the good fortune to afford it has made us spoiled
> rotten.........

And remember the heat buildup and the power consumption...... People,
be glad to have a mobile PC which isnt as bulky as it was 10 years
ago....

FLoh

1. Need help upgrading disk on Dell Inspiron 5000

I'm think of upgrading the disk on my Dell Inspiron 5000 to a IBM Travelstar
30G. Has anyone done this and are they any tricks to it? I've looked at
the disk carrier assembly and the drive seems to be held in place by two
screws. However when I removed the screws the drive was still firmly in
the carrier. I wasn't about to force it without knowing what I was doing,
so my questions are these,

How is the drive held in places, is there any glue involved?

Is there a trick to removing the drive from the carrier assembly?

Does anyone besides Dell sell drives in Inspiron carriers? (The
pricewatch price for a 30Gb Travelstar is $200, the Dell price for a 30Gb
drive is $459 so I'm trying to avoid buying a drive directly from Dell).

Thanks,

Josh

2. PPP: Help need!

3. Slackware upgrade and putting on new HDD simultaneously

4. System Commander or Select-It with RedHat 5.0

5. HELP... hdd upgrade

6. USB minors

7. HDD upgrade problem

8. drivers for linksys etherfast 10/100

9. Upgrading 2.2.14->2.2.17 loses my /dev/hdd

10. How to upgrade hdd?

11. iBook hdd upgrade: possible?

12. Kernel Upgrade -- hdd: lost interrupt

13. HDD upgrade... help