Linux, Cyrix 6x86 and gigabyte MB?

Post by Terrence Mart » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Has anybody run Linux with a Cyrix 6x86 on the Gigabyte MB

I can't remeber the model but it is sporting the 430FX Intel chipset.

I am having a few problems when compiling software and just wanted to see
if anyone has successfully run this type of system.

My linux is
1.2.13
Slackware ELF
Gcc 2.7.0

Thanks for any help or comments
Terrence Martin

Post by Martin Vern » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Has anybody run Linux with a Cyrix 6x86 on the Gigabyte MB

> I can't remeber the model but it is sporting the 430FX Intel chipset.

> I am having a few problems when compiling software and just wanted to see
> if anyone has successfully run this type of system.

> My linux is
> 1.2.13
> Slackware ELF
> Gcc 2.7.0

Can't help you directly but I thought that you needed gcc-2.7.2 to do any
586/Pentium optimizations - it may well be worth upgrading to later stuff
and trying again.

--
 Martin Vernon, Sysop GB7OS/GB7OSP, Chairman GCPG, IP Co-ordinator N. Wales

 Voice: +44 589 900 564   Data: GB7OSP V32.bis, 8N1, ANSI  +44 1492 872 467

1. Cyrix 6x86 + Gigabyte ATS/P MB + Linux?

I was wondering if anyone is running a Cyrix 6x86 120+(100Mhz CPU) on
a gigabyte ATS/P motherboard with Linux Slackware, kernel 1.2.13 and
gcc 2.7.0.

The reason I would like to know is that I am trying to run this combination
 without any luck at all. I am told that this MB will run with the 6x86
and that Cyrix 6x86 is compatible with Linux but I have not had any info
on the full combination.

My problems are manifesting themselves with an inability to compile a kernel
which I am told is a good indicator of a MB-CPU conflict.

I have swtiched SIMMS, switched video, turned wait states up and down and
things are simply not cooperating.

So if anyone can confirm that this MB-CPU combo does work with Linux I can maybe start looking at faulty Hardware ie CPU or MB as the culprit.

Thank You for any help or comments
Terrence Martin

2. Unbelievable Windows 2000 factoid

3. Could someone repost problems with Cyrix 6x86 MB

4. New release of Linux Plus CD-ROM

5. Cyrix 6x86, motherboard, Linux...

6. RH Linux 6.2 Freeswan - Checkpoint 4.1 - Manual IPSEC

7. Linux running slower on Cyrix 6x86 ?

8. Networking Problem

9. Cyrix 6x86 faster than Pentium in Linux ?

10. Cyrix 6x86 and Linux

11. Linux with Cyrix 6x86

12. Linux + IBM/Cyrix 6x86?