Help creating video card driver please.

Post by bubb » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

        I have a copy of the Media Vision technical reference guide for
the Pro Graphics 1280 video card describing register contents, port
location, register adresses and other important data describing the
programming of the card (a little hold over from my "non-disclosure"
days). I also have one of these cards. Media Vision no longer supports
this card, so I'm stuck with a $750.00 dinasuar. I've tried to sell it
without much luck. So, now I'm looking for someone to either help me
write a driver or point me towards the information to "roll my own." As
I am not very adept in low level code writing, I'll need a little
hand-holding. Anyone out there up to the challange?

Mark Harper

Help creating video card driver please.

Post by bubb » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The board uses three Texas Instrument's TLC34058-135FN
controller/RAMDACs (1 per channel). The main controller (and I assume
the PLL) is a Texas Intrument CF64810APGC. The board alo has a Cirrus
Logic VGA chip to handle VGA calls, but this is disabled when the board
is in HIRES mode. It has 4 megs of NVRAM and addresses the video
information as 32 bit DWords (24 bits for color and 8 for ? possibly
hue). The hires controller supports BLT and block fill modes, but has no
hardware cursor. Otherwise, the video information is treated as a linear
frame buffer in a contiguous 8 megabyte address range. I guess it could
be treated as a "dumb" frame buffer, but it would be nice to use the
block-fill and BLT modes to to handle repetative graphic tasks. I have
to admit, I don't have any idea how Linux or X addresses video
information or how to even START writing a driver for this OS (or
anyother for that matter). I know hardware; I didn't pay attention in
those assembler classes :-(. The board has NVRAM to control the hardware
level control of the sync timings and I have a DOS utility to set those
(eg. horizontal and vertical sync rates, sync polarities and whether
sync an green is enabled). Any additional help you can add would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Mark Harper