2xAGP 4MB ATI Rage Pro 3D and XFree86 problem

2xAGP 4MB ATI Rage Pro 3D and XFree86 problem

Post by Sorin Ghinesc » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I cannot make XFree work properly with my card.
I choosed the Mach64 server, Xwindows comes up but everything is doubled
like the display would be split half and mirrored.
I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 notebook.
I've tried different resolutions, same result.
Thanks
Sorin

Post by Michael Wils » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I cannot make XFree work properly with my card.
>I choosed the Mach64 server, Xwindows comes up but everything is doubled
>like the display would be split half and mirrored.
>I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 notebook.
>I've tried different resolutions, same result.

Should you not be using the SVGA server instead ???

            Michael

ICQ     :   16749225

WWW     :   http://vzone.*.net/michael.wilson5/quake

2xAGP 4MB ATI Rage Pro 3D and XFree86 problem

Post by Richard Littl » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

What version of Xfree86 are you using?? I had a terrible time getting X to
work on my All-in-Wonder Pro PCI 4MB with older versions of Slackware and
RedHat.  I had to take a break from Linux for a couple of months, and just
reinstalled the latest version of Slackware.  The version of Xfree86 that
came with it had no troubles my my Video this time.  The all-in-wonder Pro
uses the Rage Pro 3D chipset, so this might be your problem.

Also, are you sure your Inspiron notebook uses an ATI chipset??

R. Little

Post by Aaron Oa » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I cannot make XFree work properly with my card.
> I choosed the Mach64 server, Xwindows comes up but everything is doubled
> like the display would be split half and mirrored.
> I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 notebook.
> I've tried different resolutions, same result.
> Thanks
> Sorin

Go to http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/ for info about the Dell
Inspiron line with Linux.

- Aaron Oas

Post by Dennis Flyn » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > I cannot make XFree work properly with my card.
> > I choosed the Mach64 server, Xwindows comes up but everything is doubled
> > like the display would be split half and mirrored.
> > I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 notebook.
> > I've tried different resolutions, same result.
> > Thanks
> > Sorin

> Go to http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/ for info about the Dell
> Inspiron line with Linux.

> - Aaron Oas

I finally gave up and got the Accelerated X server from XIG.  I tried
the line 'ChipId        0x4755' in the Device section of the XF86Config, and it
was worse than without it.  I tried all sorts of modelines, read the
manual on building your own modelines, and couldn't get it to work any
better than you described.  I really didn't want to buy the commercial
product, but decided that was the price to pay for bleeding edge
hardware.

Dennis Flynn

Post by Marco 'Big Brother' » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I finally gave up and got the Accelerated X server from XIG.  I tried

I'm running 1280x1024x24bpp currently on a ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X 8MB
with a CTX VL710T 17", using the XSuSe_Mach64 server (XF86_Mach64 also
should work).
--

NLR IC/OS-NOP Voorsterweg 31    +31 527 24 8437/8905 (me/fax)
8316 PR Marknesse, Netherlands  http://super.nlr.nl:8080/