MB accepts parity or non-parity SIMMs, which to choose?

MB accepts parity or non-parity SIMMs, which to choose?

Post by cheng p » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 02:04:33

The main board I would like to buy (ASUS PCI/I-P54SP4 or -P54NP4)
is said to support either SIMMs with parity chips or those without
parity chips.  Is there any advantage in using SIMMs with parity
chips on such a main board?  If I buy SIMMs with parity chips,
I will be able to use them on main boards which only accept
parity SIMMs in case there will be such a need in the future.
However, will these parity chips be useful at all when installed
to the ASUS main board I am going to buy?

I am trying to put together a linux system with possibly 32MB of
RAM for doing numerical calculations.  If these parity chips help
to detect certain hadrware failures which may eventually occur,
then it may be worthwhile to pay more to get SIMMs with these
chips.  I would like to learn more about this.

I appreciate it if someone will provide some comments.

Cheng Pan

MB accepts parity or non-parity SIMMs, which to choose?

Post by Robert K. Nicho » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 04:32:48

Quote:>I am trying to put together a linux system with possibly 32MB of
>RAM for doing numerical calculations.  If these parity chips help
>to detect certain hadrware failures which may eventually occur,
>then it may be worthwhile to pay more to get SIMMs with these
>chips.  I would like to learn more about this.

If the motherboard has parity check circuitry (which presumably can be
disabled to support non-parity DRAM) then buying SIMMs which include
DRAM chips for the parity bit can protect you against some types of
memory failure.  Without parity checking, these failures can cause you
many months of fighting with a flakey system.

But, the likelihood of these types of failures occurring is fairly
small.  If you system is like most, you will never see a parity error,
and will wonder why on Earth you spent the extra money.

Only you can answer the questions about how critical your application
is (presumably the results of these calculations can be verified) and
your ability to track down system failures.  Unfortunately, the people
with the fewest resources for identifying and repairing a failing
system are very often the same people who try to save a few bucks by
buying non-parity DRAM.

(My personal opinions, obviously.)

--

1. simms: parity/non-parity?

i am trying to add an 8meg simm to my 486dx2 motherboard.
(x is pretty slow with only 8meg).
when i called up a couple places in computer shopper, they
wanted to know if the simms on the board are parity or
non-parity.  my motherboard documentation never mentions
anything about parity.

how can i tell if i need simms with parity or without?

thanks in advance,

-russ
--

2. kernel 2.0.33 on RH 5.0

3. Parity chips on non parity MB

4. filter for hp directjet

5. parity vs. non-parity memory ???

6. rlogin problems after configuring named

7. Parity vs Non-Parity RAM

8. VPN client for Solaris x86?

9. RAM-parity vs non-parity

10. Parity vs. non-parity for linux ??

11. help: mix parity /w non parity RAM?

12. Choose SIMMs with parity chips or not?

13. Non Parity Simms (work?)