SCSI Reset with Adaptec AIC-7880 and SMP

SCSI Reset with Adaptec AIC-7880 and SMP

Post by tauru.. » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have a dual processor Micron box with an on-board Adaptec AIC-7880,
which works fine with RH 6.0.  I have had no joy however in booting an
SMP kernel.

In all cases with SMP, the system gets as far as probing the SCSI bus
and then goes into an SCSI Reset loop:

  scsi : 1 host.
  scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id
0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
  SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
  SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
  SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed out - trying harder
  SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

I have tried the RH 6.0 SMP kernel (2.2.5) plus 2.2.10 and 2.2.13
kernels which I have built myself - no joy.  I have tried compiling
aic7xxx both as part of the kernel and as a module loaded from initrd.

The system is SCSI based, so booting without SCSI is not an option.
This also means that I can't capture dmesg output.

Any suggestions (no matter how wild) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

     T.

Full system spec is:

  Micron Millenia W6LI S/H-01
    2 x 200MHz Intel Pentium Pro (0: step 7; 1: ??)
    128Mb RAM + 256Kb Cache
  3Com 3c590 Vortex 10Mbps (3c59x)
  Adaptec AIC-7880 on-board Ultra SCSI (aic7xxx)
    0: IBM DORS-32160 S82C 2Gb SCSI Disk
    1: PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-12CS 1.00 12x SCSI CD-ROM
  S3 Graphics card

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCSI Reset with Adaptec AIC-7880 and SMP

Post by Hans Ut » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi

We had similar problems. But this minute, writing this mail cured
them...

Quote:> I have a dual processor Micron box with an on-board Adaptec AIC-7880,
> which works fine with RH 6.0.  I have had no joy however in booting an
> SMP kernel.

We use a Tyan Dual S1662D board and an Adaptec 2940 AU.  AIC-78xx. Also,
the board boots without SMP support but not with SMP support enabled.
The curious thing is, that the same Kernel (exchanged the hole hard
disk) works fine with a dual Pentium II board, and the same Adaptec
controller.

Quote:> In all cases with SMP, the system gets as far as probing the SCSI bus
> and then goes into an SCSI Reset loop:

>   scsi : 1 host.

Same with us.

Quote:> I have tried the RH 6.0 SMP kernel (2.2.5) plus 2.2.10 and 2.2.13

Also 2.2.14 doesn't do better.

But what DID do better, was pluging the SCSI-card into another PCI-slot.
(???) Since you use an on board adapter this doesn't seem to be a
option. But it might encourage you to search for a bios update or try
fidling with the placement of the other PCI cards. If you have access to
another SCSI-Adapter you might give it a try, too.

Hope that helps.
Hans

SCSI Reset with Adaptec AIC-7880 and SMP

Post by Tauru » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> We use a Tyan Dual S1662D board and an Adaptec 2940 AU.  AIC-78xx.
Also,
> the board boots without SMP support but not with SMP support enabled.
> The curious thing is, that the same Kernel (exchanged the hole hard
> disk) works fine with a dual Pentium II board, and the same Adaptec
> controller.

I managed to get hold of Doug Ledford, he pointed me at the "noapic"
option, which fixed the problem outright.

Quote:> But what DID do better, was pluging the SCSI-card into another
PCI-slot.
> (???) Since you use an on board adapter this doesn't seem to be a
> option. But it might encourage you to search for a bios update or try
> fidling with the placement of the other PCI cards. If you have access
> another SCSI-Adapter you might give it a try, too.

Bit hard that one - it's an on-board SCSI adapter...  anyway problem's
solved now - hopefully yours is too ;-)

Cheers,

    T.

--

Robert Thornburrow, Taurus Software and Consulting

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCSI Reset with Adaptec AIC-7880 and SMP

Post by Morris Meye » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

hi,

i have a supermicro p3dm3 with two cpus, running 2.3.99-pre8, with an
ultra160 disk.  i'm getting resets intermittently as well.

is the "noapic" a config option, or an option that i need to pass a the
boot prompt (or lilo.conf).

many thanks in advance,

        --morris