Using my linux box as a digital VHS... need software suggestions.

Using my linux box as a digital VHS... need software suggestions.

Post by mmelen.. » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:11:29

Hi,

I recently took on the project of using a linux machine I have*
around the office (Debian) as a digital video recorder. Basically I
got tired of people logging off the windows machine I was using, or
the tasks not running correctly, or whatever.

I've got my v4l interface running, I can watch TV, and now what I need
is capture software. Everything I've tried seems to have a fatal error
or two.

So far:

1. xawtv doesn't run (it kills my system)
2. avicap doesn't run (same thing)
3. dvr won't compile (seems to have a problem with libavifile 0.7.29)
4. vcr won't compile (also seems to be a problem with libavifile)
5. freevo works real nice, but it gets no signal
6. fame captures ok, but the audio is desynched from the video.

I dunno... I'm pretty much stuck in the software department I guess.

Any additional programs I can try? What I need is a console-based
program, that'll simply take my video and audio, compress it into an
AVI or MPG file (DivX would be nice, but I can always recompress
later), without the audio lagging 15 seconds behind the video. I don't
need to monitor the captured video, just need it to end up on my hard
disk. Oh, and the program needs to be cron-compatible (at the least it
needs to respond well to a kill signal).

Any ideas?

Post by C. P. Weidli » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:35:30

> Hi,

> I recently took on the project of using a linux machine I have*
> around the office (Debian) as a digital video recorder. Basically I
> got tired of people logging off the windows machine I was using, or
> the tasks not running correctly, or whatever.

> I've got my v4l interface running, I can watch TV, and now what I need
> is capture software. Everything I've tried seems to have a fatal error
> or two.

> So far:

> 1. xawtv doesn't run (it kills my system)
> 2. avicap doesn't run (same thing)
> 3. dvr won't compile (seems to have a problem with libavifile 0.7.29)
> 4. vcr won't compile (also seems to be a problem with libavifile)
> 5. freevo works real nice, but it gets no signal
> 6. fame captures ok, but the audio is desynched from the video.

   ...<snip>...

> Any ideas?

The one that seems to work best for me is mplayer (actually mencoder
for encoding, which is part of mplayer).  For sound I found that lame
worked best, so that has to be installed separately.  Also, it took a
long time for me to find the correct incantation for mencoder to work
with ntsc.  Here's something that works:

mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:norm=ntsc:chanlist=us-bcast:\
channel=$5:device=/dev/video0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts\
 vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900\ -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64 -vop pp=lb\
 -endpos $4:$3:$2 -o $1

(note that there's supposed to be no space after 'us-bcast:')

Where $5 is replaced with the channel nr, $4 with the nr of hours to record,
$3 the number of minutes, $2 the number of seconds and $1 the file name.

There is room for tinkering with it of course.

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 04:24:19

> What I need is a console-based program, that'll simply take my video and
> audio, compress it into an AVI or MPG file

Did you try streamer which is included with xawtv?

Another very powerful program is transcode.

regards Henrik

hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

Post by Matt N » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 04:37:02

> Any additional programs I can try? What I need is a console-based

You've tried Freevo, how about MythTV? I think that does a similar
function.

1. Printing using lpd from linux box to OS/2 box

I currently have two machines connected through a 10baseT network using TCP/IP
and want to print from my RH Linux 5.1 ( kernel v.2.2.4 ) box to my OS/2 Warp
4 FP 9 box using lpd.

My main machine is the OS/2 box, with the Linux box as an experimental
machine, and there is no forwarding between the two net0 and net1 on the OS/2
machine

Note: the Linux box has been upgraded significantly since RH 5.1 was
installed.

First off, is it possible to set up OS/2 Warp 4.0 client to act as a print
server using lpd?  Secondly, if this is possible, how can it be done?

How do I find out what queue to send to from the Linux box?

Thank you for any and all assistance in this matter.

===================================
Network:

LaserJet 6      Lexmark 5700
18MB RAM        Colour Inkjet
   |               |
   |---Toggle------|
       switch

       lpt1
     OS/2 Warp 4 (client)
     64MB RAM

net0    ---    net1
 |              |
Cable          net0
Modem          RH Linux 5.1
( internet )   48MB RAM

===================================

2. Onboard AIC-7870

3. Overhauling a 486 box. Suggestions needed.

4. Why ppp breaks the connection

5. Need suggestions for Large Unix Box

6. How do you make shared libs from a .a file ?

7. Linux Box to NT Box using crossover cable

8. linksys 2-station cpu switch and X11 (keyscan bug?)

9. Problems with using PLIP between a Dos box and a Linux box, PLEASE help!

10. Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

11. Need suggestions on change management software

12. Suggestions on fax modem/software needed

13. Need Suggestions for GUI-based Solaris Tape Backup Software (4mm DAT)