WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?

Post by blessme.. » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install in
BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling AMERICAN to
ENGLISH.
Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
Spanish is the third European language in the world. I love Brazil but
I'm sorry people there still speak PORTUGUESE

Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?

Post by Jeremy Finch » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
>Spanish is the third European language in the world.

That's strange.  Considering that French or English is used in all diplomatic
circles, I didn't know that Spanish and Portugese were second and third.

Jeremy

----------------------------------
If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big fan of ee
cummings

My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or Cassius80.
Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors!

Post by u5.. » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

= >Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
= >Spanish is the third European language in the world.

= That's strange.  Considering that French or English is used in all diplomatic
= circles, I didn't know that Spanish and Portugese were second and third.

I would've thought Chinese was 2nd and 3rd... Or even 1st and 2nd....
(On a purely population basis)

--
|                       |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack in |

|                       |move, with no hope of rescue.                       |
|Andrew Halliwell       |Consider how lucky you are that life has been good  |
|Principal subjects in:-|to you so far...                                    |
|Comp Sci & Electronics |      -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy. |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ |
|X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! >*SULK*<|

WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?

Post by u5.. » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

= I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install in
= BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling AMERICAN to
= ENGLISH.
= Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
= Spanish is the third European language in the world. I love Brazil but
= I'm sorry people there still speak PORTUGUESE

Are there any differences at all?
Spelling for example?
We have UK English and US English after all... And they can be very
different.

--

Post by Shamsuddin, Ami » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> = >Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
> = >Spanish is the third European language in the world.
> I would've thought Chinese was 2nd and 3rd... Or even 1st and 2nd....
> (On a purely population basis)

Not strictly necessary, but refer to the wording of the original post. I
think that Chinese of some sort is in fact 1st.

Post by Johan Kullsta » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > = >Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
> > = >Spanish is the third European language in the world.

> > I would've thought Chinese was 2nd and 3rd... Or even 1st and 2nd....
> > (On a purely population basis)

> Not strictly necessary, but refer to the wording of the original post. I
> think that Chinese of some sort is in fact 1st.

chinese is not some monolithic language.  afaik chinese comes in
several flavors such as cantonese and mandarin which, while they share
the same written form, are mutually unintelligible in spoken form.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

Don't Fear the Penguin!

=
= > I would've thought Chinese was 2nd and 3rd... Or even 1st and 2nd....
= > (On a purely population basis)
=
= Not strictly necessary, but refer to the wording of the original post. I
= think that Chinese of some sort is in fact 1st.

Ooops. Missed the European bit...
:)

|Andrew Halliwell       | "Don't run away.... We are your friends."          |
|Principal subjects in:-| *ZAP*  "AAAAAARGH" *BOOOM*                         |
|Comp Sci & Electronics |    - The translator device... Mars Attacks         |

Post by hac » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> = >Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
> = >Spanish is the third European language in the world.

> = That's strange.  Considering that French or English is used in all diplomatic
> = circles, I didn't know that Spanish and Portugese were second and third.

> I would've thought Chinese was 2nd and 3rd... Or even 1st and 2nd....
> (On a purely population basis)

Most people don't consider Chinese a European language.

--

Post by Equin » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install in
>BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling AMERICAN to
>ENGLISH.
>Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
>Spanish is the third European language in the world. I love Brazil but
>I'm sorry people there still speak PORTUGUESE

>Tony

Perhaps it was a joke.  Red Hat 5.1 had an option to install in
"Redneck".  A friend and I even attempted to install it using that
option.

Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but we understood it perfectly. :)

--Russell

email (spam-disabled):
lord *underscore* equinox *at* mindspring *dot* com

Post by Charles Sulliva » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>>I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install in
>>BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling AMERICAN to
>>ENGLISH.
>>Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
>>Spanish is the third European language in the world. I love Brazil but
>>I'm sorry people there still speak PORTUGUESE

>>Tony

>Perhaps it was a joke.  Red Hat 5.1 had an option to install in
>"Redneck".  A friend and I even attempted to install it using that
>option.

>Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but we understood it perfectly. :)

One might also ask how Portuguese usage in Brazil differs from the
same usage in Europe.   I understand that  American Spanish is quite
different from any of the European Spanish dialects, at least as spoken.

My own experience after having studied  French in high school (USA) was
that I had no trouble communicating in France, but might just as well have
being speaking Martian when trying to communicate with French Canadians
or individuals from any of the former French colonies.

WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?

Post by Martin Graite » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install in
> BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling AMERICAN to
> ENGLISH.
> Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
> Spanish is the third European language in the world. I love Brazil but
> I'm sorry people there still speak PORTUGUESE

It's OK to call the languages Brazilian and American, if you want to.
There are no sharp borders between dialects, variations and languages.
One can ask one self if not Portuguese is a formalized dialect of Spanish?
Actually, it was from the beginning.

Dutch emerged from the German, and French from common Latin.

All the indoeuropean languages come from one proto-indoeuropean language
which in Europe turned into three main branches, Romanic, Slavic and
Germanic. Those in turn branched out to the living languages of today.
Mixing, maturing, influencing each other.

The word for wagon is very similar in all these, the same goes for mother,
father brother, sister, sun, etc.

English is considered to be very mixed linguistically, a blend of Romanic
(Celtic, French, Latin) and Germanic components. Speaking with british
accent is no more correct than with the american. And contrary to popular
belief, british English is NOT "older" than american! Those two dialects are
of equal "age". This means in fact that it would be just as justified to
call the language American as English. Being a non-anglo I prefer the
american which is clearer and easier to hear and comprehend. It also appears
to lack much of the overemphasized social markings which seem to be an
important component of british speech.

American is in some aspects already a language of it's own, in the future
the deciders might decide that it will be called American as well?

This is normal, languages change and newer sprout from older.
Nothing to get upset about.

MG

PS. To all of you who replied about Chinese being first or second language,
note that the poster speaks of EUROPEAN languages in the world!

Post by u5.. » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

= call the language American as English. Being a non-anglo I prefer the
= american which is clearer and easier to hear and comprehend. It also appears
= to lack much of the overemphasized social markings which seem to be an
= important component of british speech.

What do you mean by "Overemphasised social markings"?

= PS. To all of you who replied about Chinese being first or second language,
= note that the poster speaks of EUROPEAN languages in the world!

*sigh*
I know, I know....

I already posted an "ooops".

|Andrew Halliwell       |    "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|Principal subjects in:-|    "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|Comp Sci & Electronics |    - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ |
|X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! >*SULK*<|

WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?

Post by Glitc » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > I would've thought Chinese was 2nd and 3rd... Or even 1st and 2nd....
> > (On a purely population basis)

> Most people don't consider Chinese a European language.

gee, i wonder why?

--

"Bill Gates?, I dont know any Bill Gates.  Oh, you mean 'by putting
every conceivable

                  http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm
     For Beginners in Linux, Emulation, Midis, Playstation Info, and
Virii.

WHAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IS THAT ?

Post by Oleg Krivoshee » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

hi,

> I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install in
> BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling AMERICAN to
> ENGLISH.
> Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
> Spanish is the third European language in the world.

hmm...

any statistics? i'd love to think Russian is third European language...

Quote:>  I love Brazil but
> I'm sorry people there still speak PORTUGUESE

> Tony

OK

Post by John G Dobni » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>> I feel offended...Red Hat instalation offers an option to install in
>> BRAZILIAN...this language doesn't exist. It's like calling AMERICAN to
>> ENGLISH.
>> Note: PORTUGUESE is the language spoken in Brazil and after English and
>> Spanish is the third European language in the world.

  Actually, us folks over here on the west side of the puddle speak
  "American English", while the blokes on the east shore speak
  "English English" (or "Standard English", or "The Queen's English").

  I believe our friends just south of Texas/New Mexico/Arizona have
  a similar situation:  "Mexican Spanish" vs. "Spanish Spanish".

  Same basic language, but "different".

  Question:  Is the Portuguese spoken in Brazil _identical_ to that
             spoken in Lisbon?   Or is this a case of "Portuguese
             Portuguese" vs. "Brazilian Portuguese"?   Same, but
             "different".

  Remember -- this is a _question_.  It is not a troll or flame.
--
John G Dobnick                          "Knowing how things work is the basis
Information & Media Technologies         for appreciation, and is thus a

1. Is this some kind of secret code language?

"rapskat -  10:48:37 up 2 days, 19:49,  3 users,  load average: 0.46,
0.34, 0.38
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.6 kernel 2.5.68 on a Pentium III
(Coppermine)
Countdown until T.G. Reaper's Super Duper Linux Root Exploit:
180 days, 15 hours, 11 minutes, 23 seconds"

WTF is that supposed to be?
What kind of secret decoder ring do I need to translate this into
language a human being, a normal human being that is, can read?

You boys are sicker than I thought and you need immediate help from
Ms. Trollop.
You are in luck though because I have a special rate for geeks this
week.

The boys over in alt.dom* were right, this linux stuff is a real cult!

We need some massive group deprogramming done in this froup.
I can't wait to get started!

Ms. Trollop

2. Is ARP broken in 2.0.30?

3. what kind of machine am I

4. S3 Savage 2000, ATI Rage 128GL or Matrox G400

5. on which (not what kind of) terminal am I running?

6. Linux in the Darkroom

7. how do I find out what kind of hardware I am on

8. talk for vms

9. c-shell as a command language rather than a programming language

10. Express Learning of languages - Language Bridge

11. Programming languages and scripting languages

12. Solaris 8 Multi Language & Web Browsing foreign language sites