ide drive added on to system

Post by tim johnso » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 07:14:37

  I have a VA Linux box running R.H. 7.1, with scsi drive. We needed
to add an IDE drive to it. However, on bootup it sees the IDE drive
and trys to boot off it, then looks out and trys to do a net boot.
  I disabled the boot from harddrive in the BIOS (AmiBios) and
tried using master and slave setting on both the primary and secondary
IDE chains.
  Is there a way to have them play nice together?
Thanks for any assistance

--

tim johnson
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA

ide drive added on to system

Post by Wayn » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 09:26:55

>  I have a VA Linux box running R.H. 7.1, with scsi drive. We needed
>to add an IDE drive to it. However, on bootup it sees the IDE drive
>and trys to boot off it, then looks out and trys to do a net boot.
>  I disabled the boot from harddrive in the BIOS (AmiBios) and
>tried using master and slave setting on both the primary and secondary
>IDE chains.
>  Is there a way to have them play nice together?

You may find a setting in the BIOS for boot options like

A,C,SCSI
C,A,SCSI
SCSI,C,A

you want it so it has SCSI first.

If you don't have SCSI as a boot option, then install LILO on the MBR of the
IDE drive but point it to the RH system on the SCSi drive, so the computer
will boot, find LILO on the IDE drive then boot Redhat off the SCSI drive.

To do this, you connect the IDE drive as primary master, then boot the
system off a recovery disk to get Linux running,  edit /etc/lilo.conf and
change
boot = /dev/sda
boot = /dev/hda
then run lilo

Wayne

--

Remove the "s" to reply directly - homepage at
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~wrooney

ide drive added on to system

Post by tim johnso » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:49:45

    Got it up now......

thanks again..

> >  I have a VA Linux box running R.H. 7.1, with scsi drive. We needed
> >to add an IDE drive to it. However, on bootup it sees the IDE drive
> >and trys to boot off it, then looks out and trys to do a net boot.
> >  I disabled the boot from harddrive in the BIOS (AmiBios) and
> >tried using master and slave setting on both the primary and secondary
> >IDE chains.
> >  Is there a way to have them play nice together?

> You may find a setting in the BIOS for boot options like

> A,C,SCSI
> C,A,SCSI
> SCSI,C,A

> you want it so it has SCSI first.

> If you don't have SCSI as a boot option, then install LILO on the MBR of the
> IDE drive but point it to the RH system on the SCSi drive, so the computer
> will boot, find LILO on the IDE drive then boot Redhat off the SCSI drive.

> To do this, you connect the IDE drive as primary master, then boot the
> system off a recovery disk to get Linux running,  edit /etc/lilo.conf and
> change
> boot = /dev/sda
> boot = /dev/hda
> then run lilo

> Wayne

> --

> Remove the "s" to reply directly - homepage at
> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~wrooney

--

tim johnson
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA

1. Adding SCSI adapter to system w/ 3 IDE drives?

I have linux up and working beautifully w/ three Western Digital IDE
hard drives. I also have a Sony IDE CDROM. My system boots off of one
of the IDE drives.

When I add a NCR 53c810 to the system, the AutoDetect sequence on
boot-up doesn't even detect two of the IDE drives. It hangs
there. Normally it would list my hard drive specs (WDC31000 for the
Western Digital Caviar 1G, etc...)

Is it possible to add a SCSI adapter with such a loaded system? Is it
advisable? I'd like to use a SCSI 8mm tape unit... Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
--
Alex

3. Adding an IDE drive to a SCSI system...

4. Which server is best

5. Adding an IDE drive to a working SCSI system...

6. regx

7. add scsi drive to ide system steps

8. AMD k6-2 and 3D Now! under Linux.

9. Linux and large IDE drives on a standard ide system

10. Add a Linux Drive to Win system drive letter complications

11. Booting off of SCSI drive with 2 IDE drives in system

12. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

13. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives