Linux boot proc hangs with a SATA disk activated in BIOS

Linux boot proc hangs with a SATA disk activated in BIOS

Post by Axel Burwit » Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:20:00

Hi !

Hope for help in my problem:

Have a SATA disk as first disk (with Win XP) on first channel (second on
OFF)  , and a IDE disk with my Suse Linux 9.0 as first on this second
channel (second on this channel on OFF).

When I keep the SATA disk actvated in BIOS, Linux boot hangs always with
"hdf: probing with STATUS (0x00) instead of ALTSTATUS (0x50)"...

When I deactivate the SATA disk in BIOS, Linux boots nicely.

Now that this is a bit annoying, and postings in newsgroups indicate that
Linux must be able to handle SATA (BTW other than Suse Support told me),
so there must be a solution !

Cheers,

Axel

Post by Rick Moe » Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:24:38

> Hope for help in my problem:

> Have a SATA disk as first disk (with Win XP) on first channel (second on
> OFF)  , and a IDE disk with my Suse Linux 9.0 as first on this second
> channel (second on this channel on OFF).

Well, you'd probably have better luck if you at least identified your
SATA chipset or at _least_ what motherboard is involved.  Absent that,
my Web page might help a bit:

"Serial ATA" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware .

--
Cheers,               Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was
Rick Moen             the cats who insisted we invent houses and discover fire.

1. Linux boot on SATA hangs/freezes

I have an issue with my 2 Seagate 80GB SATA drives. I currently have a md
mirror on 2 IDE disks. I planned my system completely to the SATA drives.
I made one IDE faulty and removed it from the mirror. Fdisk'ed an SATA
drivee accordingly and made it a hotspare and bootable. After the mirror
recovered there should theoretically be no difference between the IDE and
the SATA drive which now make up the mirror. So after this i ran lilo to
install lilo just to be safe and tried booting with the IDE drive
unplugged.

Now what i dont understand is that my computer freezes right after the
motherboard (Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus ver.1 with VIA 8237 SATA controller)
boot screen comes up saying "Verifying DMI pool..." my computer hangs.

I took the other brand new SATA and just booted with that one, it gets
passed the "Verifying DMI pool..." and actually says "BOOT DISK
FAILURE..HIT ENTER TO CONTINUE".

So what i dont understand is, even with making my SATA drive a complete
duplicate of my working IDE drives, why is it that the presence of Linux
or its partitions making the BIOS freeze, when putting a blank disk
actually lets it get as far as "BOOT DISK FAILURE..HIT ENTER TO CONTINUE".

Thank you for your time.

2. Unix spool to a windows printer?

3. Q : Only SCSI disks + Disk formatting + BIOS boot sector

4. Help--Script for renaming multiple files

5. PROBLEM: 2.4.21 ICH5 SATA related hang during boot

6. selecting pages from PostScript

7. boot hangs in POST after connecting SATA HDD

8. Talk w/slack2.0

9. Slackware 3.2 - Cannot boot from bare.i boot disk - Pentium 266/AMI Bios

10. Two unrelated Linux questions (proc filesys and booting from raw disk)

11. 2.3.37 hang on boot: "PCI: BIOS reporting unknown device xx:xx"

12. Linux Boot Disk hangs system

13. Help - Linux Boot disk hangs my machine