AHA-1540CF/1542CF

Post by AlexThunder Festbau » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:39:57

I've got the AHA1540CD/1542CD SCSI Hostadapter from Adaptec. My Biosversion
is 2.11. At my linux prompt i like to load it that way: insmod/modprobe
aha1542 0x130. But it doesn't recognizes my adapter. I'm using Suse Linux
6.3 with Kernel 2.2.13. Is there a failure in my actions or is the bios too
old?

AHA-1540CF/1542CF

Post by Guy Maskal » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 06:38:19

This is on the assumption that there are no hardware conflicts with your card
(i.e. it works - or did work - under windows).
You'll probably have a directory /proc/scsi, which will be empty.
As I recall from setting up my aha1542CP, the driver will automatically scan
two particular addresses for the card. I can't remember offhand what they are
but they're listed in the aha1542 driver info. In other words, you shouldn't
need to specify an address.

Is 'insmod aha1542' the first thing you're loading?
Try 'insmod scsi_mod', and then 'insmod aha1542'. scsi_mod *has* to be loaded
before any other scsi module (e.g. sg.o, sd.o etc). However, I'm a little
shady as to whether the card driver is included in that priority.
Try it anyway, it may work.
If it does work, you should have a file /proc/scsi/scsi - cat it and you
should see your scsi devices listed.
After trying it, do 'dmesg' and see what messages were reported about the
adaptec.

Regards, Guy

> I've got the AHA1540CD/1542CD SCSI Hostadapter from Adaptec. My Biosversion
> is 2.11. At my linux prompt i like to load it that way: insmod/modprobe
> aha1542 0x130. But it doesn't recognizes my adapter. I'm using Suse Linux
> 6.3 with Kernel 2.2.13. Is there a failure in my actions or is the bios too
> old?

1. Adaptec AHA 1540cf/1542cf scsi controller not recognized by linux

I amm trying to install linux onto a scsi drive using the Adaptec AHA
1540cf/1542cf controller. I am installing Slackware linux version 2.2.0. The
scsi controller and drive work fine in DOS. Is the controller not supported or
do I have a cabling or termination problem?

David Kolb

2. Wavelan driver for linuxppc..

3. Installing Linux with aha-1540cf and 1 gig SCSI HD

4. FBSD Port to DEC Alpha

5. help AHA-1540CF and irq setting

6. forcing sigle mode from lilo

7. Adaptec 1540CF/1542CF not recognized by bootkernel

8. S3 ViRGE/DX support under XFree86 ??!!

9. AHA (Adaptec 1540CF) not working

10. Adaptec AHA-1542CF and UMAX Vista S6E scanner

11. AHA-1542CF I/O Errors

12. Help with Adaptec AHA-1542CF

13. Help! AHA-1542CF not recognized any more.