Keyboards without MS key cap

Post by Marquez LaMaistre » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:03:26

My keyboard stopped working. When I boot up the computer beeps
repeatetly. Changing keyboards fixed the problem. Where can I buy a new
keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps. I'm having trouble
finding one.
Thanks.

--
Marquez La Ma?stres
lamaistres(at)charter(dot)net

Post by Bit Twiste » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:12:57

> My keyboard stopped working. When I boot up the computer beeps
> repeatetly. Changing keyboards fixed the problem. Where can I buy a new
> keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps. I'm having trouble
> finding one.

Geeze, scrape off the logo or paint a red circle with a slash over it,
get a picture of a penguin, reduce it, create a foil, use it to paint
a  penguin on the key.

Post by Marquez LaMaistre » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:21:44

>> My keyboard stopped working. When I boot up the computer beeps
>> repeatetly. Changing keyboards fixed the problem. Where can I buy a
>> new keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps. I'm having
>> trouble finding one.

> Geeze, scrape off the logo or paint a red circle with a slash over it,
> get a picture of a penguin, reduce it, create a foil, use it to paint
> a  penguin on the key.

Already tried some of your suggestion with other keyboards, including a
black felt marker. looks really ugly.
My IBM keyboard didn't have the MS key and I'm looking for a
replacement. Your telling me there is no such thing?

--

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:38:01

> Already tried some of your suggestion with other keyboards, including a
> black felt marker. looks really ugly.
> My IBM keyboard didn't have the MS key and I'm looking for a
> replacement. Your telling me there is no such thing?

Maybe you could use a Sun USB keyboard.  I don't know how to get one,
though.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:36:06

> Where can I buy a new keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps.
> I'm having trouble finding one.

Happy Hacking keyboards doesn't have them. However, those keyboards also
doesn't have the numpad.

http://www.pfuca.com/products/hhkb/hhkbindex.html

regards Henrik
hc1(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

Post by Morde » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:39:51

>>Where can I buy a new keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps.
>>I'm having trouble finding one.

> Happy Hacking keyboards doesn't have them. However, those keyboards also
> doesn't have the numpad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You made it sound as if it was a bad thing.
It's pricy though. I think it's cheaper to find a used 101 key board.
They're going for something like $40, or so I've heard.

Quote:> http://www.pfuca.com/products/hhkb/hhkbindex.html

They make it sound as if a UNIX key layout is a good thing
while majority of Linux users come from DOS/MS Win realm
and have a major disdain for anything, but a PC keyboard layout.

Two plus points for removing MS keys and keypad. Ten minus points
for UNIX key layout :-(
I want my left Ctrl aligned with the left shift.

My bucks will go to a vendor who'd produce a keypadless kbd
with a look and feel of an old 101 minus the keypad. That would
be a 84 key kbd. Isn't that what XT keyboards had?

Keyboards without MS key cap

Post by Peter B. Steige » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:09:49

on 27 Oct 2002, Bit Twister sez:

>> My keyboard stopped working. When I boot up the computer beeps
>> repeatetly. Changing keyboards fixed the problem. Where can I buy a new
>> keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps. I'm having trouble
>> finding one.

> Geeze, scrape off the logo or paint a red circle with a slash over it,
> get a picture of a penguin, reduce it, create a foil, use it to paint
> a  penguin on the key.

Those keys aren't just an eyesore, BT, they*up the positions of the
surrounding keys.  In order to create room for MS-Borg assimilation, you
have to reduce the size of the spacebar and/or move some combination of
control, alt, and shift keys.

I made the mistake of buying the cheapest possible keyboard through
pricewatch - something like six bucks with shipping - and I regret it every
time I sit at the Linux server: The spacebar has been reduced to about 2
inches to make room for M$-keys on either side plus a context-sensitive
menu key; in addition the backslash is BELOW the enter key, next to the
right shift.  A pox on the evil empire and all it stands for.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
canada (or vice-versa).  All adverti*ts will be
returned to your postmaster, eh!

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:12:23

> on 27 Oct 2002, Bit Twister sez:

> >> My keyboard stopped working. When I boot up the computer beeps
> >> repeatetly. Changing keyboards fixed the problem. Where can I buy a new
> >> keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps. I'm having trouble
> >> finding one.

> > Geeze, scrape off the logo or paint a red circle with a slash over it,
> > get a picture of a penguin, reduce it, create a foil, use it to paint
> > a  penguin on the key.

> Those keys aren't just an eyesore, BT, they*up the positions of the
> surrounding keys.  In order to create room for MS-Borg assimilation, you
> have to reduce the size of the spacebar and/or move some combination of
> control, alt, and shift keys.

Don't you know you can actually use the extra keys in linux too?  They
are rather useful sometimes.  Getting rid of the logo would be good,
of course.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Post by Joe » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:34:58

> on 27 Oct 2002, Bit Twister sez:

> >> My keyboard stopped working. When I boot up the computer beeps
> >> repeatetly. Changing keyboards fixed the problem. Where can I buy a new
> >> keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps. I'm having trouble
> >> finding one.

> > Geeze, scrape off the logo or paint a red circle with a slash over it,
> > get a picture of a penguin, reduce it, create a foil, use it to paint
> > a  penguin on the key.

> Those keys aren't just an eyesore, BT, they*up the positions of the
> surrounding keys.  In order to create room for MS-Borg assimilation, you
> have to reduce the size of the spacebar and/or move some combination of
> control, alt, and shift keys.

> I made the mistake of buying the cheapest possible keyboard through
> pricewatch - something like six bucks with shipping - and I regret it every
> time I sit at the Linux server: The spacebar has been reduced to about 2
> inches to make room for M$-keys on either side plus a context-sensitive
> menu key; in addition the backslash is BELOW the enter key, next to the
> right shift.  A pox on the evil empire and all it stands for.

You over generalize from your specific keyboard. Many keyboards with the
extra keys don't shrink the spacebar or anything else. My logitech 104
for example and some cheapo memorex keyboard I have at home. Random key
arrangements have been par for the course long before microsoft got
into it. You can hardly count on the location of anything but the
stanard
querty layout. Backslash and tilde are particularly notorious for moving
all about the keyboard.

And I've put the extra keys to good use as window manager buttons so I
don't
need the mouse or difficult ctrl-alt-whatever sequences as much.

Post by Douglas Bollinge » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 09:09:09

> My keyboard stopped working. When I boot up the computer beeps
> repeatetly. Changing keyboards fixed the problem. Where can I buy a new
> keyboard that does NOT have microsoft key caps. I'm having trouble
> finding one.
> Thanks.

Old-style keyboards are easy to find, you just gotta know were to look.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

These guys are great because they still carry the old-style "buckling
spring" keyboards like the original IBM PC used.  Noisy, heavy and big: the
tactical feedback can't be beat.  I love the keyboard I bought from them a
few months ago.

You can even get this keyboard in two different "Linux" layouts.  I think
the name is somewhat bad, however.  The keyboard layouts should be called
the "vi specials" because they move that pesky caps lock key down and put
the  handy CTRL key beside the "A".  I use vi, and I just love this new key
arrangement, except when I'm away from my keyboard. :)  Of course, you can
get the regular keyboard layout, with and without the windows keys and with
buckling spring or * dome keys.

They cost a bit more, but well worth it if you like the traditional
keyboards.

--
Lady Luck brings added income today.  Lady friend takes it away tonight.

Post by Haines Brow » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:31:30

> http://www.pckeyboard.com/

> These guys are great because they still carry the old-style "buckling
> spring" keyboards like the original IBM PC used.  Noisy, heavy and big:
> the tactical feedback can't be beat.  I love the keyboard I bought from
> them a few months ago.

These model M keyboards are usually availble for $10 at the local computer
shows. So I've got a stack of them. The supplier above no longer has these
keyboards with the IBM logo, and he charges $49 for them.

But, I agree, these are the greatest. I got a bunch so that when I spill
my beer into them, I can just throw them away. Found from experience you
can't just pour some alchohol into them to get keys unstuck ;-)

Haines

1. Caps Lock <--> Ctrl Key (AT keyboard)

To switch these two functions on my AT keyboard I modified .Xmodmap.
This indeed switched the functions of Caps Lock and Control but it
made the Control key a toggle, not exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a solution other than a hardware modification of the keyboard
(similar to PC Mag's "ibmfix.com" for DOS)?

B Baker

2. Help needed with ypcat script

3. : Caps Lock key locks keyboard

4. vnode pointer to inode number

5. Caps Lock <--> Ctrl Key (AT keyboard)

6. bsdmail.org

7. Caps Lock key locks keyboard

8. Terminal Emulator

9. MS Natural Keyboard Pro (w/extra keys) under USB?

10. MS Natural Keyboard and Blue Keys

11. MS Internet keyboard Linux support for additional keys??

12. MS Keyboard -- 3 Additional Keys

13. Keyboard without Windows keys