SMP mobo + CPU

Post by Kamus of Kadizha » Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:06:44

I'm looking for SMP mobo + CPU recommendations.  In the past, I've used
Tyan Tiger mobos with great success, but they're quite pricey.  a Tyan MPX
and two Athlon XP 2400+ is well over US$600, not including memory.

This is for a workstation; I need to run VMWare + WinXP and I really would
like to have some horsepower left after I start up VMWare.

So, any equally good (or better) mobos out there that support dual CPUs,
run fast, are reliable, and generally offer good value?

-Kamus

--
    o__      |  If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike.
    ,>/'_    |                                       Q.

SMP mobo + CPU

Post by Steve Wolf » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:08:22

Quote:> I'm looking for SMP mobo + CPU recommendations.  In the past, I've used
> Tyan Tiger mobos with great success, but they're quite pricey.  a Tyan
MPX
> and two Athlon XP 2400+ is well over US$600, not including memory.

> This is for a workstation; I need to run VMWare + WinXP and I really
would
> like to have some horsepower left after I start up VMWare.

> So, any equally good (or better) mobos out there that support dual CPUs,
> run fast, are reliable, and generally offer good value?

   In these days, SMP setups are a bit spendy.  The motherboards have
always been a little pricier than single-proc boards, but here's the
catch:  You used to be able to use the same chips (say, P2, P3) in either
type of board.  Now, the SMP-capable chips are marked up as a premium
product.  So, either way, you're going to have to fork out the money.

   Your choices are going to be the dual Athlons, dual Xeons, or dual
Opterons.  For about the same as you quited for the dual Athlons, you
could also get a dual Opteron 240.  You could put together something like
a 2.0 GHz Xeon for about the same amount of money, but no matter how you
slice it, dual-processing with recent CPU's isn't cheap.

  On the other hand, you can occasionally find some deals in the used
market.  I picked up a used SuperMicro dual-P2 board for $20, and a pair
of matched 450's for another $13.  Not the greatest speed demon, but for
$33, it's not at all bad.

steve

SMP mobo + CPU

Post by Chris Co » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 06:00:31

>>I'm looking for SMP mobo + CPU recommendations.  In the past, I've used
>>Tyan Tiger mobos with great success, but they're quite pricey.  a Tyan

> MPX

>>and two Athlon XP 2400+ is well over US$600, not including memory.

>>This is for a workstation; I need to run VMWare + WinXP and I really

> would

>>like to have some horsepower left after I start up VMWare.

>>So, any equally good (or better) mobos out there that support dual CPUs,
>>run fast, are reliable, and generally offer good value?

>    In these days, SMP setups are a bit spendy.  The motherboards have
> always been a little pricier than single-proc boards, but here's the
> catch:  You used to be able to use the same chips (say, P2, P3) in either
> type of board.  Now, the SMP-capable chips are marked up as a premium
> product.  So, either way, you're going to have to fork out the money.

My Tyan 2468UGN and 2469UGN both cost less $300.
These are the high end workstation boards with
dual channel SCSI onboard and has AGP.

Quote:

>    Your choices are going to be the dual Athlons, dual Xeons, or dual
> Opterons.  For about the same as you quited for the dual Athlons, you
> could also get a dual Opteron 240.  You could put together something like
> a 2.0 GHz Xeon for about the same amount of money, but no matter how you
> slice it, dual-processing with recent CPU's isn't cheap.

Stick with the Xeons or the Athlons if the OP wants anything
to work right.  Opterons work well on servers, but not well
on workstations today (that will change in time).

Quote:

>   On the other hand, you can occasionally find some deals in the used
> market.  I picked up a used SuperMicro dual-P2 board for $20, and a pair
> of matched 450's for another $13.  Not the greatest speed demon, but for
> $33, it's not at all bad.

I bought a Dual 2400MP computer using the S2469UGN board with a
36G 10K Segate and 512M of memory for $700 new (well it was used
but never used). So the deals are out there if you watch carefully
and are patient. That machine is over 6 months old now.  It serves
as my wife's primary Linux workstation.

Used market is excellent for new AMD stuff.. less useful for used
Xeons.

SMP mobo + CPU

Post by General Schvantzkop » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:24:41

> I'm looking for SMP mobo + CPU recommendations.  In the past, I've used
> Tyan Tiger mobos with great success, but they're quite pricey.  a Tyan MPX
> and two Athlon XP 2400+ is well over US$600, not including memory.

> This is for a workstation; I need to run VMWare + WinXP and I really would
> like to have some horsepower left after I start up VMWare.

> So, any equally good (or better) mobos out there that support dual CPUs,
> run fast, are reliable, and generally offer good value?

> -Kamus

For a Linux workstation I'd go with a single or dual Opteron system,
but you said you want to run XP so you are probably better off with a Dual
Xeon system because M$ isn't likely to have a working version of 64bit XP
for another year (they claim earlier but everything that I've heard from
people who are working with the beta indicates that 64 bit XP is no where
near ready). For dual Xeons I think Supermicro is the best choice but
there are other good dual Xeon boards. I wouldn't by a dual Athlon, the
Athlon was never really targeted at the server marketplace so there wasn't
much in the way of resources expended to produce a decent server class
chip set for the Athlon.

SMP mobo + CPU

Post by Kamus of Kadizha » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:45:06

> For a Linux workstation I'd go with a single or dual Opteron system,
> but you said you want to run XP so you are probably better off with a Dual
> Xeon system because M$ isn't likely to have a working version of 64bit XP
> for another year (they claim earlier but everything that I've heard from
> people who are working with the beta indicates that 64 bit XP is no where
> near ready). For dual Xeons I think Supermicro is the best choice but
> there are other good dual Xeon boards. I wouldn't by a dual Athlon, the
> Athlon was never really targeted at the server marketplace so there wasn't
> much in the way of resources expended to produce a decent server class
> chip set for the Athlon.

Well, I'm currently running a UP Athlon XP 2600+ system.  The OS is linux
(fedora).  I've been running Win4Lin + win98 very happily.  Unfortunately,
I now have to run WinXP, so I have to "upgrade" to VMware + WinXP.  I
really don't care if WinXP sees SMP, UP, or 64 bits.  I want to make sure
that when something in WinXP starts sucking down CPU cycles, I still have
enough left in the linux system to work (or to shutdown gracefully).

HOw does Opteron 240 compare to an Athlon XP 3200+ in performance?  Does
the 64 bits really make a difference in real world (32 bit) workstation
apps?

--Kamus

--

Post by General Schvantzkop » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:19:58

>> For a Linux workstation I'd go with a single or dual Opteron system,
>> but you said you want to run XP so you are probably better off with a Dual
>> Xeon system because M$ isn't likely to have a working version of 64bit XP
>> for another year (they claim earlier but everything that I've heard from
>> people who are working with the beta indicates that 64 bit XP is no where
>> near ready). For dual Xeons I think Supermicro is the best choice but
>> there are other good dual Xeon boards. I wouldn't by a dual Athlon, the
>> Athlon was never really targeted at the server marketplace so there wasn't
>> much in the way of resources expended to produce a decent server class
>> chip set for the Athlon.

> Well, I'm currently running a UP Athlon XP 2600+ system.  The OS is linux
> (fedora).  I've been running Win4Lin + win98 very happily.  Unfortunately,
> I now have to run WinXP, so I have to "upgrade" to VMware + WinXP.  I
> really don't care if WinXP sees SMP, UP, or 64 bits.  I want to make sure
> that when something in WinXP starts sucking down CPU cycles, I still have
> enough left in the linux system to work (or to shutdown gracefully).

> HOw does Opteron 240 compare to an Athlon XP 3200+ in performance?  Does
> the 64 bits really make a difference in real world (32 bit) workstation
> apps?

> --Kamus

64 Bits won't make a difference unless you have more than 4G of real
memory which is expensive but doable on a dual Opteron system. The real
advantage of a dual opteron system, vs a dual anything else, is that each
Opteron has it's own memory so the total memory bandwidth is 2X the band
width of a dual Xeon. The OS has to understand how to schedule a NUMA
system which means that you would want to use the 2.6 kernel for
optimal performance. Chances are WinXP will do a lousy job on Opterons
until the 64bit version comes out.

1. SMP: Tyan Tomcat III dual, only one CPU active in /proc/smp

Am running Linux 2.0.24 with SMP turned on in the top kernel Makefile
Have Tyan Tomcat III with 2 P100's.

After I run two independent compiles in separate window, /proc/smp
indicates lots of activity in P0, but P1 has only been spinning.

Am I only using one CPU?

Thanks Joe
--

SysAdmin Xray Lab
MacroMolecular Structure Group, Duke University, Durham NC, 27710

2. 2.5.69bk15 usb problem solved

3. SMP mobo?

4. RedHat 5.1, ICEWM and GNOME

5. Hpt366. need support in 2.2.16

6. SMP Lockup Problem: Mobo or O/C or kernel?

7. ATX boards and restart after power failure

8. SMP advice - Dual P3 mobo

9. atyfb + onboard RageXL on two SMP mobo's

10. SMP advice - Dual P3 mobo

11. SMP mobo problems in Linux

12. SMP mobo and RAID suggestions needed for VPM cluster.