Internal Sportster US Robotics

Post by Jaime Smit » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm taking the jump for Linux ((enough with Micosoft))..and so far all
my hardware will be compatible with Linux, Except the US Robotics
Sportster X2 Fax/Voice which is listed as not being compatible. Before
going into buying another one... would like some suggestions from anyone
who knows or have these modems... Thanks.
Future LINUX user...

Internal Sportster US Robotics

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I'm taking the jump for Linux ((enough with Micosoft))..and so far all
> my hardware will be compatible with Linux, Except the US Robotics
> Sportster X2 Fax/Voice which is listed as not being compatible. Before
> going into buying another one... would like some suggestions from anyone
> who knows or have these modems... Thanks.

AFAIK, the only USR modems that are NOT compatible with Linux are its
so-called "WinModems," and AFAIK none of these are voice-enabled.  I've
got an external Sportster Voice X2, and it works fine with Linux.  So if
your internal model is the same as the external ones, but on a board with
a serial port rather than in a box, you're fine.  If you're getting the
"incompatible" line from Red Hat's hardware listing, be aware that they're
**VERY** conservative about hardware compatibility.  I don't know this for
a fact, but I suspect the Sportster Voice models are listed as
"incompatible" because there's no voice software that ships with Red Hat.
Using the modem for data communications certainly works fine with the
tools that come with Red Hat.  There are also fax and even voice tools
that work with the modem in Linux, though I've not really tried to get the
voice stuff working with mine.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Post by mike » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> [Posted and mailed]

> > I'm taking the jump for Linux ((enough with Micosoft))..and so far all
> > my hardware will be compatible with Linux, Except the US Robotics
> > Sportster X2 Fax/Voice which is listed as not being compatible. Before
> > going into buying another one... would like some suggestions from anyone
> > who knows or have these modems... Thanks.

> AFAIK, the only USR modems that are NOT compatible with Linux are its
> so-called "WinModems," and AFAIK none of these are voice-enabled.  I've
> got an external Sportster Voice X2, and it works fine with Linux.  So if
> your internal model is the same as the external ones, but on a board with
> a serial port rather than in a box, you're fine.

<snip>

I'm using a USR X2 internal w/Redhat 5.0. Works fine.

mike