HD > 8.4GB

Post by anti » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

yesterday i noticed someone had posted this same question, but i can no
longer retreive the message off the server, it's deleted.

the problem:  I have a 9.1GB Segate Cheeta HD (10,000rpm and all that good
stuff).  I finially go the SCSI drives to work under linux, but now... I
need it to read the drive as a 9.1GB drive and not 8.4GB.  I have 2.0.35
kernel.

Also, while I'm posting.. my sound card does not even get detected under
linux as working / nonworking, i compiled the kernel with sound card
support, but it still screws up.. It is a Sound Blaster PCI card.

HD > 8.4GB

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> my sound card does not even get detected under linux as working /
> nonworking, i compiled the kernel with sound card support, but it
> still screws up.. It is a Sound Blaster PCI card.

Check out the two following sites:

The commersial driver:

http://www.4front-tech.com/

The free but not completely finished driver:

http://www.ife.ee.ethz.ch/~sailer/linux/pciaudio.html

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

HD > 8.4GB

Post by Vladimir Sinitsy » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Could this be a math error - computer megabytes versus manufacturer's
megabytes?
Let's see:

9.1GB *1000 * 1000 * 1000 = 9,100,000,000 bytes (manufacturer's megabytes)

Now let's convert this to computer megabytes:

9,100,000,000 / 1024 = 8,886,718.75 KB
/ 1024 = 8,678.43 MB
/ 1024 = 8.48 GB

Does this sound about right, or have you accounted for this problem already?

-Vladimir

>yesterday i noticed someone had posted this same question, but i can no
>longer retreive the message off the server, it's deleted.

>the problem:  I have a 9.1GB Segate Cheeta HD (10,000rpm and all that good
>stuff).  I finially go the SCSI drives to work under linux, but now... I
>need it to read the drive as a 9.1GB drive and not 8.4GB.  I have 2.0.35
>kernel.

>Also, while I'm posting.. my sound card does not even get detected under
>linux as working / nonworking, i compiled the kernel with sound card
>support, but it still screws up.. It is a Sound Blaster PCI card.

1. HD > 8.4GB vs linux fdisk

i've an ibm-djna-371800, 18GB. I have a Windows'98 partition of 8.7 GB
and the rest of my hard drive is unformatted and unpartitioned. I tried
to install RedHat Linux, but linux fdisk isn't able to go over the 8.4
GB capacity. I set up the LBA in my BIOS but nothing seems to change.
He finds the first and at now unique partition uncorrect and it can't
detect the free space avaible, so I just can't install Linux.
How can I solve my problem? I'll wait for your help, bye
                                                       Luca.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Linux

3. power surge -> crash -> hd problems -> help needed

4. Is the Linux X.25 project still alive?

5. How to add a 4GB SCSI HD?

6. Problem setting up PPP with Caldera RedHat distribution

7. RH5 install on 6.4GB HD fails!

8. DAT devices

9. Adaptec 1542CP with 4GB HD Setup Questions

10. Add,format, mount new 4Gb HD

11. need help w/ LILO and 8.4Gb IBM Deskstar HD

12. Seagate 4GB HD w/ Linux

13. RH7.2, Peanut - Linux only sees 2GB of my 6.4GB HD