Matrox Millenium G200 = Mystique G200?

Post by Darren En » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am shopping for anew PC that can run Linux, and
now that I read that Linux/X supports the Matrox
Millenium G200, I have to ask if this also implies
that the Mystique G200 also does?  I have neither
card, but I think the chip set is the same -- it
might be nice for an extra $50 or so to pipe X
screens to a TV set (which I what I think the
Mystique has for extra functionality).

Thanks

Dare
--
Darren Enns

HTTP:  www.pangea.ca/~dmenns

Post by Ignac » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

 >I am shopping for anew PC that can run Linux, and
 >now that I read that Linux/X supports the Matrox
 >Millenium G200, I have to ask if this also implies
 >that the Mystique G200 also does?  I have neither
 >card, but I think the chip set is the same -- it
 >might be nice for an extra $50 or so to pipe X
 >screens to a TV set (which I what I think the
 >Mystique has for extra functionality).
 >
 >Thanks
 >
 >Dare

I've heard of problems using the Mystique G200 with the xmatrox
server. You might be better off with the G200 in that respect, for the
time being. Of course, I guess you could try X_i...

Post by Ramiro Estrug » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am shopping for anew PC that can run Linux, and
> now that I read that Linux/X supports the Matrox
> Millenium G200, I have to ask if this also implies
> that the Mystique G200 also does?  I have neither
> card, but I think the chip set is the same -- it
> might be nice for an extra $50 or so to pipe X
> screens to a TV set (which I what I think the
> Mystique has for extra functionality).

> Thanks

> Dare
> --
> Darren Enns

Same chip, slower ramdac and a video out option.  Also better win95 game
bundle.  All irrelevant issues if you want to run X.  Even if you got
the video out to work on x, the limited resolution of your tv will make
the fine window decorations/text/etc tiny and probably illegible.

-re

Post by Thomas Roel » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am shopping for anew PC that can run Linux, and
> now that I read that Linux/X supports the Matrox
> Millenium G200, I have to ask if this also implies
> that the Mystique G200 also does?  I have neither
> card, but I think the chip set is the same -- it
> might be nice for an extra $50 or so to pipe X
> screens to a TV set (which I what I think the
> Mystique has for extra functionality).

The major difference between the Mystique G200 and the Millennium G200
is that the first one uses SDRAM, while the second one uses SGRAM. Our
experiance shows that SDRAM is usually a little bit slower than SGRAM
(and in the G200 case that is definitively true). Also if your are
using overlays (24+8) SDRAM is ABYSMALLY slow ... But then again you'd
need a real X-Server to use overlays ;-)

- Thomas
--
             Thomas Roell   /\         An imperfect plan executed *ly
             Xi Graphics   /  \/\ _     is far superior to a perfect plan.

                         / Oelch! \ \             George Patton