testing individual cpu in multi-cpu system

testing individual cpu in multi-cpu system

Post by J. Hol » Sat, 17 Jan 2004 06:06:02

anyone have any advice on tests of individual cpus in multi-cpu systems?  what
we'd like to do is be able to excercise one or the other cpu to see if we
could force a failure.

tks,

jah

-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Post by neerolyt » Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:04:33

> anyone have any advice on tests of individual cpus in multi-cpu systems?  what
> we'd like to do is be able to excercise one or the other cpu to see if we
> could force a failure.

I don't know much about them, but I have seen a "blank CPU" that you can
put in one of the slots of a dual CPU pentium II, that turned it into a
single CPU pentium II, but that came with the system in question.

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:24:34

> > anyone have any advice on tests of individual cpus in multi-cpu systems?  what
> > we'd like to do is be able to excercise one or the other cpu to see if we
> > could force a failure.

> I don't know much about them, but I have seen a "blank CPU" that you can
> put in one of the slots of a dual CPU pentium II, that turned it into a
> single CPU pentium II, but that came with the system in question.

Newer CPUs don't require those CPU terminator cards;  you can just
remove a processor.  However, I don't think that's quite what the OP was
looking for.

I don't quite understand why the OP is looking to "excercise one or the
other" and "force a failure".  IMHO it would be better to stress both
CPUs simultaneously until one or the other fails.

Post by neerolyt » Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:25:30

>>>anyone have any advice on tests of individual cpus in multi-cpu systems?  what
>>>we'd like to do is be able to excercise one or the other cpu to see if we
>>>could force a failure.

>>I don't know much about them, but I have seen a "blank CPU" that you can
>>put in one of the slots of a dual CPU pentium II, that turned it into a
>>single CPU pentium II, but that came with the system in question.

> Newer CPUs don't require those CPU terminator cards;  you can just
> remove a processor.  However, I don't think that's quite what the OP was
> looking for.

> I don't quite understand why the OP is looking to "excercise one or the
> other" and "force a failure".  IMHO it would be better to stress both
> CPUs simultaneously until one or the other fails.

I just realised another possibility anyway, in XP at least you can just
assign proccesses to a cpuid, i sometimes do this with games (game on
cpu 1, everything else on cpu 0), not worth it for games though.

Post by neerolyt » Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:27:53

> I don't quite understand why the OP is looking to "excercise one or the
> other" and "force a failure".  IMHO it would be better to stress both
> CPUs simultaneously until one or the other fails.

maybe when the cpu(s) fail the whole system is going down in a way that
stops the OP finding out which cpu was the cause (just a possibility).

1. Sol 2.4x86 Multi-CPU vs Single CPU: Difference???

Hi Folk's

Sorry if this has been posted before but I don't read the NEWS
that often.

I purchased 2 Copies of Solaris 2.4 x86 from SUN.
I used there part numbers as supplied by my ever helpfull
Sales rep.
One copy was for Multi-CPU's, One was for a Single CPU.

There is *NO* difference in the packages I got.

How do you tell them apart ( The part numbers I was given
are nowhere on the boxes )
Do I have two Multi CPU versions or two Single CPU versions.

I have spent HOURS on the phone with Sun and have YET
to reach someone who knows the difference.

Don't these people know there own products. I have been
jerked around by SUN for *WEEKS*. Have talked to EIGHT
people so far and am getting real tired.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx. Loads

Robert Hart

2. how to prevent "su" and "login"

3. How do you deactivate some CPUs on a multi-CPU SUN box in Solaris?

4. connecting to another pc via parallel/serial cables

5. High system CPU% in dual CPU System

6. Email bounce: Why?

7. cpu load, multi cpu's

8. Limiting WWW server throughput

9. PPro or Pentium II - Which is better for Multi-CPU systems?

10. Sun license manager...1%cpu...1%cpu...50%cpu50%cpu50%cpu....

11. mutexes with multi-threaded program on multi-cpu machine.

12. Multi-Thread on Multi-CPU machine

13. CPU system/user/cpu all zero?