Microsoft Natural Keyboard in X

Post by Jeremy Thompso » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have a MS Natural Keyboard, and I was trying to use xkeycaps and
xmodmap to give the extra "Windows" keys functionality in WindowMaker.

Just as a test, I tried to assign something to the left window key, 0x73
(115).
For the hell of it, I just assigned it the letter "J", wrote the output,
and then loaded it with xmodmap.

When I do a dump from xmodmap, it shows the right mapping, but when I
hit that key, it doesn't have any effect.

Do I need to have something else to make this work?  (e.g., a
kernel-level driver for the keyboard?)

Please post or e-mail replies.

--
"We have to move fast to do something about
these monkeys because the people here are

Post by Eberhard Bur » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have a MS Natural Keyboard, and I was trying to use xkeycaps and
> xmodmap to give the extra "Windows" keys functionality in WindowMaker.

> Just as a test, I tried to assign something to the left window key, 0x73
> (115).
> For the hell of it, I just assigned it the letter "J", wrote the output,
> and then loaded it with xmodmap.

> When I do a dump from xmodmap, it shows the right mapping, but when I
> hit that key, it doesn't have any effect.

Do you, by any chance, use the new kbd extensions of XFree 3.3? If so,
you'll need to setup a kernel keyboard map, because the new extensions
reads keyboard mappings from the kernel (I have no idea how that
works, but since I've switched to Debian 2.0, keyboard behaves
differently) Take a look at the xkb extensions.

Regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows

1. Conflict with Microsoft intelligent Mouse and Microsoft Natural Keyboard

I have Microsoft Intelligent Mouse(PS/2) and Microsoft Natural
Keyboard(PS/2). There are two PS/2 port on my ASUS P3B Motherboard. However,
I found that the two hardwares would be conflicted with each other and this
could lock up my linux system.
Does anyone know if I cannot use the two hardwares with same
interface(PS/2). There is no problem when I use mouse with com port.

2. ipx over tcp IP

3. Touch Typing (was Microsoft natural keyboard / Dvorak keyboard users)

4. Curseperl for RiscOS 4.52

5. Microsoft Natural Keyboard problem

6. rpc.ugidd (where is it?)

7. Microsoft Natural Keyboard on a Sparc 5?

8. Removing a HD from a SCSI controller - kwu.unix.scoinfo #21178

9. Microsoft natural Keyboard

10. USB Microsoft Natural Keyboard

11. Microsoft Natural keyboard, 43P-140, AIX 4.3.3

12. MicroSoft Natural Keyboard -- Driver?

13. Microsoft Natural Keyboard and right-CTRL