mouse prob, MG-mboadr HW prob

Post by Juha S{rest|nie » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have a strange problem with my 3button mouse. The mouse pointer jumps around
the screen in X and in gpm. I think it's a HW prob 'cause the same system
( booted from same HD ) in another machine works fine.
I have:
        AMD 486dx4 100MHz
        UMC 886 AF PCI chipset
        Conner pheriperals 1275MB - CFS1275A
        Diamondstealth Trio64 DRAM 2 MB
        Sound blaster vibra 16
        mitsumi quad speed
        8 MB RAM
        16550A UART onboard
        1.2.13 Kernel

Mouse is ok and everything works fine in dos and in windows.

mouse prob, MG-mboadr HW prob

Post by Mark Komarins » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I have a strange problem with my 3button mouse. The mouse pointer jumps around
: the screen in X and in gpm. I think it's a HW prob 'cause the same system
: ( booted from same HD ) in another machine works fine.
: I have:
:       AMD 486dx4 100MHz
:       UMC 886 AF PCI chipset
:       Conner pheriperals 1275MB - CFS1275A
:       Diamondstealth Trio64 DRAM 2 MB
:       Sound blaster vibra 16
:       mitsumi quad speed
:       8 MB RAM
:       16550A UART onboard
:       1.2.13 Kernel

Make sure the mouse is set properly.  If you're trying to use the three button
driver with a 2 button mouse (or vice-versa!) you'll see that happen.

-Mark

--

"...And if I have none of those deficiencies, I hope to get them sometime."
-Car Talk (on NPR)

mouse prob, MG-mboadr HW prob

Post by Juha S{rest|nie » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I solved the problem :)

The UART 16550A had to be changed to 16550.

Probaply something on the Mboard.

1. Possible HW prob with X on Diamond Stealth

My PC is experiencing intermediate problems with the following symptoms:
- problems occur when PC and room are cold.
- xdm is started OK and shows prompt (boot goes to init state 4)
- when logging in, the client that is started in .xsession (can be
anything like fvwm, olvwm or xterm) will crash after 0-5 minutes (No, I
don't start them in the background :-)

After about 30-45 minutes the problem dissapears, and I can log in and
whatever client that is started runs stable for the whole day if need
be.

(PC is Pentium 133 on Endeavour MB, 32MB 60ns EDO RAM, WD 1.6GB disk,
Diamond Stealth64 2MB VRAM OEM, the version with IBM RAMDAC)

I use Linux 1.2.13 and 1.3.56 and Accelerated-X and Xfree 3.1.2B (any
combination will have the error).

All this certainly points to a hardware problem. I don't think its a
memory problem, because I tried starting kernel compilations and a large
ORACLE RDBMS query that causes a lot of swapping. Compilation and ORACLE
wil run fine, X will crash for first 30-45 minutes, afterwords the whole
system runs as stable as a house.

Has someone seen this before? Could this be a hardware problem with the
videocard?
--

2. Pentium Pro vs Pentium

3. Is my fetchmail prob. a sendmail prob.?

4. SCO Unix 5.0.2 - Enable/Disable problem

5. Sound card probs, modem probs. Help im cut off!!!!

6. Pentium 133Mhz (ALR Q-SMP) vs Sun Netra I20

7. XDM/X no '@' sign, sendmail daemon probs, v1.1.45 probs

8. Compaq/Cirrus 7543 - suggestions, help, anyone?

9. Display Prob (is it a font prob or not?)

10. minicom probs, & repititive config probs

11. Solaris 2.6 Fixes year 2K probs; does Linux suffer the same probs

12. Unusual mouse probs with Logitech Mouseman & X

13. Mouse & serial Probs - Compaq