question on ethernet card + how to stop from booting into xwindows on startup

question on ethernet card + how to stop from booting into xwindows on startup

Post by norma » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I was wondering how to prevent Caldera OpenLinux 2.something,  from going
directly to the graphical interface (xwindows?) on startup. Also I am having
trouble getting an HP EN 1207D ethernet card to work. It is supposedly made
by Accton and not HP and supported by two different drivers (tulip.c and
dex345?), however
linux recognizes it a a Realtek RTL8139 card and succesfully loads the
appropriate driver, however the card still will not work. Finally how can I
access what is called linuxconfig or netconfig in OpenLinux? Thanks a lot in
advance and i appreciate any help whatsoever.

norman chihwaro

question on ethernet card + how to stop from booting into xwindows on startup

Post by Werner Hei » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Norman,

not to startup directly into GUI:
1)login as root
2)edit in file /etc/inittab the default runlevel
at the moment it should be set to 5
 -> set it to value 3
 -> at next boottime the GUI should not start automatically any more
    (only via command: startx)
3)to avoid rebooting directly after editing inittab use the command: telinit 3
4)logout as root

best regards

Werner

Infineon technologies
Werner Hein                   Firmware Cellular Radio

Phone: +49-89-234-82104         Fax: +49-89-234-81066
P.O.Box 80 09 49
81609 Munich/Germany

> I was wondering how to prevent Caldera OpenLinux 2.something,  from going
> directly to the graphical interface (xwindows?) on startup. Also I am having
> trouble getting an HP EN 1207D ethernet card to work. It is supposedly made
> by Accton and not HP and supported by two different drivers (tulip.c and
> dex345?), however
> linux recognizes it a a Realtek RTL8139 card and succesfully loads the
> appropriate driver, however the card still will not work. Finally how can I
> access what is called linuxconfig or netconfig in OpenLinux? Thanks a lot in
> advance and i appreciate any help whatsoever.

> norman chihwaro

1. Q: Newbie: Booting into Xwindows after startup on a B&W G3.

Hello,

I have been experiencing a problem booting into xwindows using LinuxPPC
1999. I have tried several different install configurations from default to
everything without success.

The problem looks like this:
After setting up the system (using Robert Shaw's install notes), everything
appears to work properly until attempting to load the xwindows environment.

    /etc/X11/prefdm: error in loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot
open shared object file: no such file or directory
    /etc/X11/prefdm: error in loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot
open shared object file: no such file or directory
... eight more times ...
INT: id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

I get a slightly different message if I type in startx after logging on at a
text prompt:

    xauth: error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory
    xauth: error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory
    xint: error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: no such file or directory

I have found the prefdm file but cannot read it's contents using pico. If
there is another editor that I should use for this please let me know.

I have also been unable to locate the shared libraries that X is looking
for. The installation is via an "exchange" directory, and the files have
been burned to a CD from a web download. I don't think that these files are
subject to the naming issues when downloading files via anarchie but if they
are could someone please let me know so that I can download them again and
place them in the proper directory for reinstallation.

Thank you for your assistance,

Paul Krause

2. Quicktime-maker for Linux

3. stopping xwindows at boot.

4. Samba help needed urgently!!!!

5. XWindows on boot: make it stop!

6. Intel or AMD?

7. Stopping Linux booting into Xwindows, how?

8. application with pam / ldap

9. Stopping auto-boot to xWindows

10. Question on xwindows and startup files

11. Newbie booting 2 ethernet cards question

12. boot procedure: ethernet startup not working (pcmcia)

13. PCMCIA Ethernet card not detected at startup