Epson 1660 compatible with LINUX?

Post by optidou » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:20:23

Hi all,

I'm new to LINUX and scanning.  I would like to get a scanner to archive
some family photos, but don't know which scanners are compatible with
LINUX.  I am running Suse 8.0.  The Suse hardware database listed several
Epson scanners, but the 1660 was not listed.  I e-mailed Epson, but they
did not send an answer.

Has anyone had success with this scanner?

Thanks!

Douglas

Post by Legiret Fabie » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 19:04:16

> Hi all,

> I'm new to LINUX and scanning.  I would like to get a scanner to archive
> some family photos, but don't know which scanners are compatible with
> LINUX.  I am running Suse 8.0.  The Suse hardware database listed several
> Epson scanners, but the 1660 was not listed.  I e-mailed Epson, but they
> did not send an answer.

> Has anyone had success with this scanner?

> Thanks!

> Douglas

Hello,

I have bought recently an Epson Perfection 1260 scanner who is not listed in
the compatible scanner list of Mandrake 9.0 I use. But, Epson provide some
drivers for Linux. I have downloaded and installed the files and that's
work very well (all the procedure is explaned). The only thing they have
forgotten to say is to add the line :
        scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x011d
in the file :
        /etc/modules
To have the ability to run the scanner after each start of the PC.

This is the address where you can start for Epson scanner drivers :
        http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/lsd_e.html
I hope that's will help you.

Fabien

Post by James Tappi » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:51:13

> Hi all,

> I'm new to LINUX and scanning.  I would like to get a scanner to archive
> some family photos, but don't know which scanners are compatible with
> LINUX.  I am running Suse 8.0.  The Suse hardware database listed several
> Epson scanners, but the 1660 was not listed.  I e-mailed Epson, but they
> did not send an answer.

> Has anyone had success with this scanner?

Works fine with the latest SANE -- you may need to manually add the
vendor/device ID's to the hotplug module lists.

For the "Photo" version, slide & negative scanning works much better with
Epson's iscan tool than with xsane or xscanimage.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using

http://www.tappin.me.uk/            with data loss in it I fancy"

Epson 1660 compatible with LINUX?

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 01:24:01

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm new to LINUX and scanning.  I would like to get a scanner to archive
> some family photos, but don't know which scanners are compatible with
> LINUX.  I am running Suse 8.0.  The Suse hardware database listed several
> Epson scanners, but the 1660 was not listed.  I e-mailed Epson, but they
> did not send an answer.

The best site to check for scanner compatibility information is:

http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

According to that site, the Epson 1660 works fine, although I can't say I
have any personal experience with it.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux, networking, & multi-OS configuration

1. Epson 1660 scanner only accepts USB address 7

Hi,

I have been having trouble getting Linux RH9 to recognize my
Epson 1660.  'messages' indicates that the scanner will
accept only USB address 7:

May 12 12:14:36 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device
00:02.2-2, assigned address 4
May 12 12:14:36 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not
accepting new address=4 (error=-71)
May 12 12:14:36 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device
00:02.2-2, assigned address 5
May 12 12:14:36 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not
accepting new address=5 (error=-71)
May 12 12:18:01 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device
00:02.2-2, assigned address 6
May 12 12:18:01 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not
accepting new address=6 (error=-71)
May 12 12:18:01 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device
00:02.2-2, assigned address 7
May 12 12:18:01 localhost kernel: scanner.c: probe_scanner:
User specified USB scanner -- Vendor:Product - 4b8:11e
May 12 12:18:04 localhost /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup
scanner for USB product 4b8/11e/100
May 12 12:18:04 localhost devlabel: devlabel service
started/restarted

It rejected addresses 2 and 3 before the clip above.  Only
accepted address 7.

Is this normal?  Is there a simple fix for this?  I don't
recall having this occur before, but it may have and I
didn't notice.

I did a search for this problem and came up empty.

Also - don't know if this is related or not - but this is a
USB 2 scanner that will only run at the USB 1 speed under
Linux.  Runs at USB 2 speed under Windows.

Suggestions?

thanks,
dave

direct:  h.o.t.t.e.l.l.a.t.g.u.l.f.t.e.l.c.o.m.

2. IP Address audit

3. Epson 1660 scanner

4. Need help installing CVS

5. powerspec 1660 as linux machine

6. Getting ports from behind a proxy..

7. SMC 1660 ethernet card

8. org.apache.jserv.test.ServletMonitor problem

9. SMC EZnet 1660

10. Driver for ACCTON Pnp MPX2 ISA (EN 1660)

11. SMC EtherEZ card ISA 1660 series

12. SMC EZnet 1660

13. Big Problems with Future Domain 1660 SCSI controler