CD-RW drive making me crazy..

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by Walter Franci » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00



I've had a Hewlett Packard 7200i+ IDE CD-RW drive for over a month, and
I have *YET* to make a decent burn with it.

I've made *one* non-coaster...

I was trying (again..sigh..) to backup my drives using backburner, and
as usual hoping that the write wouldn't fail (it failed last time, but I
had it write the temporary file to a mostly full partition and it ran
out of room!) but as usual, it failed..  At the start is is the CD
information, then the failure codes, output from cdrecord.  I figure it
got about 70M into writing before this happened..

Disk type: Cyanine, AZO or similar
Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Blocks total: 336075 Blocks current: 336075 Blocks remaining: 265832
RBlocks total: 346741 RBlocks current: 346741 RBlocks remaining: 276498
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer ... input-buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 0
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 BB 10 00 00 10 00fo 100%).
Sense Bytes: F0 00 02 00 00 00 00 19 00 0A 5C 0C 04 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming
ready) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)
cmd finished after 0.003s timeout 40s

write track data: error after 98074624 bytes
Sense Bytes: F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 19 00 FF FF BA 00 00 00 00 00 00
Writing  time:  373.962s
Fixating...
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: F0 00 05 00 00 00 00 19 00 FF FF BC 2C 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x2C Qual 0x00 (command sequence error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)
cmd finished after 0.011s timeout 480s
Fixating time:    0.728s
Warning... fixate command returned error status
Attempting retry number 1...
Preparing to fixate the stream...

FIFO is always at 100%, I'm not running anything intensive on the
machine, there is at least 60M of physical ram free, no big disk
activity, etc..  I have two hard drives on hda and hdb, two CD drives,
CD-RW is on hdc and CD-R is on hdd.  Of course, the two CD drives are
SCSI emulated in the Kernel, ide CD support is not compiled in, SCSI and
IDE-SCSI and SCSI CD support is compiled in, using 2.2.10.  I had the
same trouble with a different motherboard, so I suspect the IDE
controller isn't at fault (currently using a VA-503+).  I've changed the
cables, added extra cooling, no vibrations.  About the only thing I
haven't done is sacrifice anything live to the CD-RW god..  (Well, I've
sacrificed about 8 CD-R's so far...)

I loathe to boot Windows, but I suppose I need to see if I can burn CDs
there.  It won't help my backup situation, but maybe I can narrow the
problem down.

I see these problems ALL the time, but all the answers elude on how to
setup the kernel properly.  AFAIK, it's set up correctly..  Would
forcing a lower PIO mode help?  Currently it defaults to PIO 3 I
believe..  ANY suggestions are highly appreciated.

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by Walter Franci » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00



>         Are you using the CDs from the same box/batch? Sounds like you
> have a bad batch. Generally, if one CD in a box is bad, ALL the CDs in
> that box are bad.

I've heard that before, but this was somewhat of a mix of CDs my father
gave me with the CD-RW drive.  Three Sony CDQ-74BN's, three Sony
CDW-74CN's.  I managed to make a good burn on a CDQ-74BN.  Know what the
difference in the BN and CN is?  I have a new box of 74CN's to try, I
might do that tonight.

I should have mentioned, that I have trouble with a Memorex CD-RW disk
as well!  Of course, all the 'great' things I'm hearing about Memorex
makes me wonder if it's any good anyway.

Quote:>         I would recommend you try to burn something under Windows. That's
> what pretty much summed it up for me. Nothing under Windows or Linux would
> burn great.

I'm kinda hoping this to be the case, as weird as it might sound..  I
don't plan on keeping Windows around much longer, I haven't used it in
four months..  I just haven't gotten around to transfering some
information, MP3's, etc..  I could use the disk space that hog takes up.
:)


> : I've had a Hewlett Packard 7200i+ IDE CD-RW drive for over a month, and
> : I have *YET* to make a decent burn with it.

> : I've made *one* non-coaster...

Hmm, kinda contradicted myself I guess.. :)

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by Russ Johnso » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00


I'm having a really weird time with my JVC XR-W2080 drive. It's listed as
working with CDRecord, and it does... If I use a CDRW. But only partly. If I
then try to verify the CD (using X-CDRoast) it fails after a while... If I
mount the disk, everything appears to be there, and I don't have any
problems with the CD.

I can't get a CDR to burn properly for anything, but the same image will
then burn to a CDRW without problems.

When I do a CDRECORD -SCANBUS, I get this from 1.6:

Cdrecord release 1.6 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 J?rg Schilling
scsibus0:
                  0) 'BCD 40XH' ' CD-ROM         ' 'U3.1' Removable CD-ROM
                  1) 'JVC     ' 'XR-W2080        ' '2.06' Removable CD-ROM
                  2) *
                  3) *
                  4) *
                  5) *
                  6) *
                  7) *

This is the "compiled on my system" binary.

If I run the same command with the "pre-compiled" 1.6, or a "compiled on my
system" 1.8, I get this output:

Cdrecord release 1.8a24 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 J?rg Schilling
scsibus0:
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
capabilities page.
                  0) 'BCD 40XH' ' CD-ROM         ' 'U3.1' Removable CD-ROM
                  1) 'JVC     ' 'XR-W2080        ' '2.06' Removable CD-ROM
                  2) *
                  3) *
                  4) *
                  5) *
                  6) *
                  7) *

Any ideas?

Russ

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by Larry Ozaro » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00



> I'm having a really weird time with my JVC XR-W2080 drive. It's listed as
> working with CDRecord, and it does... If I use a CDRW. But only partly. If I
> then try to verify the CD (using X-CDRoast) it fails after a while... If I
> mount the disk, everything appears to be there, and I don't have any
> problems with the CD.

> I can't get a CDR to burn properly for anything, but the same image will
> then burn to a CDRW without problems.

> When I do a CDRECORD -SCANBUS, I get this from 1.6:

> Cdrecord release 1.6 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 J?rg Schilling
> scsibus0:
>                   0) 'BCD 40XH' ' CD-ROM         ' 'U3.1' Removable CD-ROM
>                   1) 'JVC     ' 'XR-W2080        ' '2.06' Removable CD-ROM
>                   2) *
>                   3) *
>                   4) *
>                   5) *
>                   6) *
>                   7) *

> This is the "compiled on my system" binary.

> If I run the same command with the "pre-compiled" 1.6, or a "compiled on my
> system" 1.8, I get this output:

> Cdrecord release 1.8a24 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 J?rg Schilling
> scsibus0:
> /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
> capabilities page.
>                   0) 'BCD 40XH' ' CD-ROM         ' 'U3.1' Removable CD-ROM
>                   1) 'JVC     ' 'XR-W2080        ' '2.06' Removable CD-ROM
>                   2) *
>                   3) *
>                   4) *
>                   5) *
>                   6) *
>                   7) *

> Any ideas?

> Russ

Omigod, omigod, a fellow sufferer. I have a Hival 2242, which appears to be a
re-badged version of the same machine, and I've had exactly the same symptoms,
same message from cdrecord, same inability to burn cdr's properly, but ok with
r/w. I've been thinking it was my disks, which are el-cheapo hivals, and was
going to experiment with some maxells or imations I have lying around, but your
post makes me think not.

My machine is fairly new and I haven't tried it out with Windows yet. Does it
work with Windows software? And if so which software?

One odd thing I had happen was that I burned a disk, and then cdrecord returned
error messages during the "fixating" phase. I can mount and read the disk
perfectly on my regular drive (an ASUS 36x), but the Hival itself won't
recognize it, nor will an old Goldstar I have on another machine.

Larry

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by David » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00



> I'm having a really weird time with my JVC XR-W2080 drive. It's listed
> as working with CDRecord, and it does... If I use a CDRW. But only
> partly. If I then try to verify the CD (using X-CDRoast) it fails
> after a while... If I mount the disk, everything appears to be there,
> and I don't have any problems with the CD.

> I can't get a CDR to burn properly for anything, but the same image
> will then burn to a CDRW without problems.

Just for kicks, have you tried doing the burn at a slower speed?  You
may have success at 1X, but failure at 2X, or success at 2X and failure
at 4X.  (Of course, if you're failing at 1X, then that's a different
problem.)

I'm guessing at this, because most drives have a lower top-speed for
CDRW media than for CDR media.

-- David

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by David » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00



>    Sony are more expensive, but I have had NO problems with them in
> my Acer CD-RW under Windows95 and Linux. Verbatim are good too.

Just to add another data point, I've had good luck with Imation (3M)
CD-Rs.

As for price, all brands cost $2 per disc at office supply stores around
here.  (That is, $20 for a 10-pack, with jewel cases.  I can't get bulk
CDs without mail-ordering them.)

-- David

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by Russ Johnso » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00


Hmm, from what you are saying, it sounds like we have exactly the same
problem... bummer... I thought I might have something set wrong....

My machine is a brand new celeron 333, and the buffer never runs out.

The cdr disks I've been using are Maxells, which I believed to be fairly
good quality.

Many times, I'll get the error message in the fixating stage, but the last
disk I tried (Offbrand "GQ?" CDRW) completed just fine, but wouldn't verify.
There is a note in the readme that states that not all drives support
verify, so we may just be unlucky in that regard.

In Windows, I think I remember successfully burning one CDR, but most (about
8 so far, I'm a glutton for punishment) end up as frisbees. And of course,
CDRW's work just fine.

Russ


>Omigod, omigod, a fellow sufferer. I have a Hival 2242, which appears to be
a
>re-badged version of the same machine, and I've had exactly the same
symptoms,
>same message from cdrecord, same inability to burn cdr's properly, but ok
with
>r/w. I've been thinking it was my disks, which are el-cheapo hivals, and
was
>going to experiment with some maxells or imations I have lying around, but
your
>post makes me think not.

>My machine is fairly new and I haven't tried it out with Windows yet. Does
it
>work with Windows software? And if so which software?

>One odd thing I had happen was that I burned a disk, and then cdrecord
returned
>error messages during the "fixating" phase. I can mount and read the disk
>perfectly on my regular drive (an ASUS 36x), but the Hival itself won't
>recognize it, nor will an old Goldstar I have on another machine.

>Larry

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by Russ Johnso » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00


Actually, I did try that under Windows, but I haven't with Linux. I'll burn
another frisbee tonight to test it... <G>

Russ


>Just for kicks, have you tried doing the burn at a slower speed?  You
>may have success at 1X, but failure at 2X, or success at 2X and failure
>at 4X.  (Of course, if you're failing at 1X, then that's a different
>problem.)

>I'm guessing at this, because most drives have a lower top-speed for
>CDRW media than for CDR media.

>-- David

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by Larry Ozaro » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00



> Hmm, from what you are saying, it sounds like we have exactly the same
> problem... bummer... I thought I might have something set wrong....

> My machine is a brand new celeron 333, and the buffer never runs out.

> The cdr disks I've been using are Maxells, which I believed to be fairly
> good quality.

> Many times, I'll get the error message in the fixating stage, but the last
> disk I tried (Offbrand "GQ?" CDRW) completed just fine, but wouldn't verify.
> There is a note in the readme that states that not all drives support
> verify, so we may just be unlucky in that regard.

> In Windows, I think I remember successfully burning one CDR, but most (about
> 8 so far, I'm a glutton for punishment) end up as frisbees. And of course,
> CDRW's work just fine.

> Russ

How could this be? They sell a cdrom-burner that doesn't work? Could there be
any other
common factor? My system is SMP and overclocked, but overclocked to 100MHz FSB,
so that shouldn't affect any bus related issues, but I was going to try cutting
back the bus speed and seeing if that helped.

Is there anybody out there with a JVC  XR-W2080 or any re-badged version of
same who has something to add, either positive or negative?

Larry

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by Larry Ozaro » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00


Russ,

I posted about our plight over on alt.comp.periphs.cdr. Let's see if we
can get more data.

Larry

 
 
 

CD-RW drive making me crazy..

Post by airn.. » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I may have fixed it here. I'm test burning a CD-R as I type...

I updated to kernel 2.2.12, mkhybrid and I'm using cdrecord 1.18b25.

Also, I'm using cdrtoaster instead of xcdroast, but that "shouldn't"
make any difference.

Also, in my bios, I turned off all the high speed options on the ide bus
the cdrw is plugged into. I got this idea from reading some of the pages
about cdrecord.

I looked at the JVC website, but I have the latest firmware (2.06).

If this test burn works, I'll follow it up with a full burn.

Airneil



Quote:

> Russ,

> I posted about our plight over on alt.comp.periphs.cdr. Let's see if
we
> can get more data.

> Larry

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.