Partition Check Error when system boot

Post by Joerg Pin » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

>         I have installed debian 2.0, and when system boot
> the following message was printed: (I use IDE 4.3Gb)

>         Partition Check:

>         hda:hda: set_multmode
>                  ststus=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error}

>         hda: set_multmode:error=0x04 {Drive Status Error}

>         Despite of this message system boots correctly and all
> seems to be correctly.

>         My question is:

>         What means the above message?

>         Can I delete this error?

> Best Regards,
> Ricard

Hi, I have the same problem with a SUSE-Liunx 5.3 Version. I use a
Giga-Mainboard and a Seagate-HD.  But my Kernel stands still after
booting one time with this error-message.
Have you found out a solution of the problem?

Post by Stephen Marl » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>         hda:hda: set_multmode ststus=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>>         Error}

>>         hda: set_multmode:error=0x04 {Drive Status Error}

>Hi, I have the same problem with a SUSE-Liunx 5.3 Version. I use a
>Giga-Mainboard and a Seagate-HD.  But my Kernel stands still after
>booting one time with this error-message.  Have you found out a
>solution of the problem?

I have though :-).  The error occurs when the ide driver tries to set
the multmode to 0 on some Seagate drives. Change the INITIAL_MULTMODE in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/ide.h to 32, recompile the kernel and
voila! No more error messages.

Explanation: multmode is something to do with the number of sectors
transferred per interrupt. Setting it to 0 either tries to disable the
feature or to get the drive to use some default - Seagate's don't like
it. After setting the initial value to a higher value eg 32, the driver
and controller negotiate the drive's proper maximum multmode which for
my Seagate drive is 32 and for my Samsung, 16. Verify with hdparm -m.

If you can't be bothered rebuilding your kernel, it is quite safe
to ignore the message. Any ide experts are welcome to correct my
somewhat dubious explanation.

--

1. Errors on booting during partition check

Hi

I get these errors on booting during the Partition check:

Partition check:
 hda:hda: status error: status=0x01 { Error }
hda: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: drive not ready for command

This is repeated 4 times then continues to boot.

The system works fine, or seems to, I have not noticed any problems although I have only installed today.

I am using Slackware 4 and I have tried using Debian 2.2 with the same result.

The setup is a 210mb HD, 433M Dell Latitude laptop 4mb RAM - I have tried the 2.5inch hard disk in another PC with the same result.

Is the hard disk on the way out?  Or is this fixable?

Thanks
Rich

--
Sent  by richieeee_rich  from  my-deja element  from  com

2. problem running p0f on Solaris 8 - anyone?

3. Partition check order in fs/partition/check.c?

4. Logging servlets under Apache an JRun

5. Partition check at boot time & fdisk partition table don't agree

6. printing problem

7. bad partition table error during Partition Check

8. I dont understand Caldera's WordPerfect Strategy

9. System hangs after partition check (init fails?)

10. RH8 hangs during partition check on system with XP.

11. PROBLEM: System hangs while Partition check: with 2.4.20-rc1 kernel

12. System hangs after partition check