sound and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Matl » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I've just put Mandrake 7.1 onto my system at home and I'm having a problem
> getting the sound to work.  The sound card (VIA 686 on board) is detected
> during the boot up, and when I do dmesg it says (and I'm going from memory
> here) something about There are other ways to configure this card, but if
it
> really is a SB Pro, then leave it as it is.

> The problem is that I can't get any sound to work.  I've made sure the
> volume is turned up in the mixers and nothing is muted.  Sndconfig detects
> the VIA on board sound, then it says it will play the sound, but I never
> hear anything.

> Anyone know what I can do to solve this ?  AFAIK, the sound that comes
with
> Mandrake 7.1 is OSS/Free.

> Cheers,

> Nick.

look like we have the same problem. I have Via 686 on RH 6.2. Just
experienced what you described. If you find a solution, kindly let me know
thanks

sound and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Chem-R-U » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > I've just put Mandrake 7.1 onto my system at home and I'm having a problem
> > getting the sound to work.  The sound card (VIA 686 on board) is detected
> > during the boot up, and when I do dmesg it says (and I'm going from memory
> > here) something about There are other ways to configure this card, but if
> it
> > really is a SB Pro, then leave it as it is.

> > The problem is that I can't get any sound to work.  I've made sure the
> > volume is turned up in the mixers and nothing is muted.  Sndconfig detects
> > the VIA on board sound, then it says it will play the sound, but I never
> > hear anything.

I went through the same thing a motherboard upgrade (Mandrake 7.1 + VIA
chipset).

1) Make sure the sound is activated by the BIOS settings.

2) Check proc files to make sure everything is as it should be:

   cat /proc/interrupts (check for sound card IRQ)

   cat /proc/modules (look for sound, soundlow & soundcore)

   cat /proc/devices (look for sound in char devices)

   cat /proc/dma (make sure sound is using a dma channel)

3) Run /usr/sbin/sndconfig by hand to configure the sound. Make sure you
have some speakers hooked up to hear the sound made by sndconfig (I
actually didn't do that 1st time through).

Mail me if this doesn't get you going.

--

Chem-R-Us

sound and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Josef Malta » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> I've just put Mandrake 7.1 onto my system at home and I'm having a problem
> getting the sound to work.  The sound card (VIA 686 on board) is detected
> during the boot up, and when I do dmesg it says (and I'm going from memory
> here) something about There are other ways to configure this card, but if it
> really is a SB Pro, then leave it as it is.

> The problem is that I can't get any sound to work.  I've made sure the
> volume is turned up in the mixers and nothing is muted.  Sndconfig detects
> the VIA on board sound, then it says it will play the sound, but I never
> hear anything.

> Anyone know what I can do to solve this ?  AFAIK, the sound that comes with
> Mandrake 7.1 is OSS/Free.

> Cheers,

> Nick.

So did mine,
I've also got that VIA Chipset but on my chaintech it comes with a Yamaha
Soundchip.
The only way for me was to use ALSA http://www.also.org
Give it a chance.
Greetings Mike

sound and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Josef Malta » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > I've just put Mandrake 7.1 onto my system at home and I'm having a problem
> > getting the sound to work.  The sound card (VIA 686 on board) is detected
> > during the boot up, and when I do dmesg it says (and I'm going from memory
> > here) something about There are other ways to configure this card, but if it
> > really is a SB Pro, then leave it as it is.

> > The problem is that I can't get any sound to work.  I've made sure the
> > volume is turned up in the mixers and nothing is muted.  Sndconfig detects
> > the VIA on board sound, then it says it will play the sound, but I never
> > hear anything.

> > Anyone know what I can do to solve this ?  AFAIK, the sound that comes with
> > Mandrake 7.1 is OSS/Free.

> > Cheers,

> > Nick.

> So did mine,
> I've also got that VIA Chipset but on my chaintech it comes with a Yamaha
> Soundchip.
> The only way for me was to use ALSA http://www.also.org
> Give it a chance.
> Greetings Mike

Upppssss,
http://www.alsa.org ,but not even discriminating the wrong link ;-)

sound and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Josef Malta » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> >-snip-

> Upppssss,
> http://www.alsa.org ,but not even discriminating the wrong link ;-)

Final try :
www.alsa-project.org  ( didn't know they've changed domain )

sound and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Marcus Laue » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> I've just put Mandrake 7.1 onto my system at home and I'm having a problem
>> getting the sound to work.  The sound card (VIA 686 on board) is detected
>> during the boot up, and when I do dmesg it says (and I'm going from memory
>> here) something about There are other ways to configure this card, but if it
>> really is a SB Pro, then leave it as it is.

>> The problem is that I can't get any sound to work.  I've made sure the
>> volume is turned up in the mixers and nothing is muted.  Sndconfig detects
>> the VIA on board sound, then it says it will play the sound, but I never
>> hear anything.

>> Anyone know what I can do to solve this ?  AFAIK, the sound that comes with
>> Mandrake 7.1 is OSS/Free.

>> Cheers,

>> Nick.

>So did mine,
>I've also got that VIA Chipset but on my chaintech it comes with a Yamaha
>Soundchip.
>The only way for me was to use ALSA http://www.also.org
>Give it a chance.
>Greetings Mike

        Doesn't Linux-Mandrake come with alsa modules precompiled?  I use
L-M, and I could have sworn I saw an alsa rpm on the CD...

        Anyway, if so, you just need to read the configuration instructions on
www.alsa-project.org and do what they say.

                                                           Marcus

1. Configuring network/sound/supend mode on Thinkpad A20m (Mandrake 7.1)

HI,

I just got a Thinkpad A20m and I'm trying to configure it correctly. I've got
a few things to fix and I'm hoping someone can help.

- How do I configure the network card? All the docs I've seen say to use the
  eepro100 driver (or som similarly named driver) but when I try to load it,
  it reports that it can't find any device of that type. Any ideas what should
  be used instead? How do I ask the OS to tell me what it thinks it is? I can
  make it work with a PCMCI card but I'd rather use the builtin card.

- My sound card isn't working. When it boots, it sometimes hangs trying to
  load the sound driver (cs41?? something, I think -- I don't have the
  computer in front of me right now). I see some posts that say to use the
  ALSA stuff. I'll try them to see what happens but if there are some issues I
  should know about, please let me know.

- I heard there's a linmodem module somewhere that could be used with the
  (yucky) WindModem that comes with the system. Where can I find that?

- Suspend mode doesn't work. When I close the lid, the machine doesn't fall in
  sleep mode. But if I try to shut down the machine, when it stops the amd
  process, the machine falls into suspend mode. I have to Fn-F3 it to wakeit
  up and complete the shutdown process. Anyone have an idea what the problem
  is?

All this is being done on a Mandrake 7.1 system, if that can help give better
pointers. FWIW, I had most of this working on a Dell Inspiron 3500, using
Mandrake 7.0. I don't remember doing anything special to get things working
correctly (suspend mode in particular).

2. Funky ipfwadm/sendmail interaction

3. Sound card + mandrake 7.1

4. __dead2/__pure2 in stdlib.h causes parse error

5. Mandrake 7.1 Installing Diamond MX300 on Abit BE6-2 Mobo - No sound

6. FD_SET and select under BSD

7. Sound blaster live! with Mandrake 7.1

8. FBDev Error - "no virtual desktop" - PLEASE HELP!!

9. proble with sound in mandrake 7.1

10. Whiich ids better Mandrake 7.1 or Slackware 7.1

11. Upgrade from Mandrake 7.0 (Air) to Mandrake 7.1 (Helium): Painless?

12. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?

13. Upgrade from Mandrake 7.0 (Air) to Mandrake 7.1 (Helium): Painless?