(IBM Blue Lightn. + #9 GXE 64 VLB) = problems?

(IBM Blue Lightn. + #9 GXE 64 VLB) = problems?

Post by Robert Blai » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I bought a cheap #9 GXE 64 (VL bus version) from a mail order company.
I wanted to upgrade on the cheap from an old video card and the price
seemed right.  Unfortunately, once I got the card and plugged it in to
my IBM Blue Lightening motherboard, the system would not boot (yes, I
removed the old video card first).  The system goes through the POST
(displaying the memory test results just fine), but it simply clunks to
a halt before doing any disk activity (can't boot from floppy or HD).

After calling Number Nine and waiting on the phone for about 1.5 hours
(I think my cheap card just passed the $100 mark), the "expert" on the
phone claimed that the problem was due to an incompatible motherboard.
I called IBM and they claim that some S3 based cards may cause GPF's
under windows but that likely newer windows video drivers solve this
problem.  I never got to windows so this seems an unlikely explanation!

Anyone out there 1) have such a system (that does boot) or 2) have any
real insights to what may be going on?  I figure the video card is
broken and it has nothing to do with my MB, but I would be interested in
experience or information that would further inform this snap judgement.
--

 *C~o~()*
Cc{*(o~*Q&                                          Bob Blair
|~      ~ |                                Argonne National Lab.
|O      - |                                Room E277, Bldg. 362
\   "     /                                High Energy Physics Div.
 \ ****  /                                 9700 S. Cass Ave.
  **^u^**                                  Argonne,   IL 60439
   *****                                   Phone (708)-252-7545
    ***                                    Fax (708)-252-5782

                                           fnald::rebcdf

Post by Robert Blai » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I bought a cheap #9 GXE 64 (VL bus version) from a mail order company.
> I wanted to upgrade on the cheap from an old video card and the price
> seemed right.  Unfortunately, once I got the card and plugged it in to
> my IBM Blue Lightening motherboard, the system would not boot (yes, I
> removed the old video card first).  The system goes through the POST
> (displaying the memory test results just fine), but it simply clunks to
> a halt before doing any disk activity (can't boot from floppy or HD).

> After calling Number Nine and waiting on the phone for about 1.5 hours
> (I think my cheap card just passed the $100 mark), the "expert" on the
> phone claimed that the problem was due to an incompatible motherboard.
> I called IBM and they claim that some S3 based cards may cause GPF's
> under windows but that likely newer windows video drivers solve this
> problem.  I never got to windows so this seems an unlikely explanation!

> Anyone out there 1) have such a system (that does boot) or 2) have any
> real insights to what may be going on?  I figure the video card is
> broken and it has nothing to do with my MB, but I would be interested in
> experience or information that would further inform this snap judgement.

I'm following up on my own post because I got a second card and it
failed exactly the same way.  I tried a few more things this time (since
I no longer had the excuse that the board was hosed).  I discovered that
the AT bus speed is responsible!  The motherboard was running the AT bus
at 12.6Mhz.  When I set it back to the very conservative default of
8.4Mhz the system booted fine.  Is this normal?  I was using my old
Paradise Windows accelerator at the 12.6Mhz for years.  The new board is
a VL-bus type so this should not affect video performance and my two
main HD's run on the motherboard IDE.  Am I improving the system
performance by putting this board in or detracting from it?

1. Can't get #9 GXE-64 VLB to work with XFREE 3.0

I recently got the #9 GXE-64 card but am not able to use XFREE 3.0
with it.  I saw some XFree xbench surveys and they had the gxe card
listed.  So I assume there is a way to make it work.

During the setup, I've tried using s3_generic and s3_mmio_928 but
am unable to make X come up.

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

--
phi

2. WindowMaker- Exit & Closer Boxes

3. #9 GXE PRO 64 problems

4. netscape problem

5. X problems on #9 GXE 64

6. geometry of SCSI-drives

7. #9 GXE 64 PCI problem

8. ***** XDM PROBLEM : PLEASE HELP ***********

9. IBM announces 64-bit mainframes and 64-bit Linux for S/390

10. 16 bpp with my #9 GXE 64 Pro

11. #9 GXE 64 Pro & X - How I Did It

12. Help with #9 GXE Trio 64 please!

13. XF86Config for #9 GXE 64 PRO, 2 MB, Dell 1024x768 monitor?