Hayes Accura 56k Internal Modem

Post by Chris Simpso » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Has anybody got a PNP Hayes Accura 56k Internal Modem working under Linux?
I'm running Redhat 5.0 with a 2.0x kernel.

Repies both to the list and via e-mail would be much appreciated.

Chris
--
Chris Simpson

Post by Dale Marti » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Has anybody got a PNP Hayes Accura 56k Internal Modem working under Linux?
> I'm running Redhat 5.0 with a 2.0x kernel.

> Repies both to the list and via e-mail would be much appreciated.

I have one running no problems.  I just jumpered it to be COM2, and then
set the second onboard serial port on my motherboard to be COM3.  (Under
linux of course, these map onto ttyS1, and ttyS2, respectively.)  On my
modem to make it non-PNP, btw, I had to take off JP2 (I think) and put it
on the jumper block that shows the various IRQ and I/O base settings.

Recently, I upgraded my modem with the beta firmware available on the hayes
website, and now I'm finally connecting at 50K all of the time, rather than
33.6 with the old firmware.

Later,
        Dale
--
+--------------------  finger for pgp public key  ---------------------+
| Dale E. Martin | University of Cincinnati Savant Research Laboratory |

Post by Sid Boyc » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Has anybody got a PNP Hayes Accura 56k Internal Modem working under Linux?
> I'm running Redhat 5.0 with a 2.0x kernel.

> Repies both to the list and via e-mail would be much appreciated.

> Chris
> --
> Chris Simpson

        Attached, details of how I got mine to work.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(Europe)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

[ pnpmodem 1K ]
    Get isapnptools from somewhere like sunsite.unc.edu in the debian
distribution.
Do pnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf
Edit /etc/isapnp.conf and uncomment the desired lines...... e.g.
(IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
#       IRQ 4.
#             Low true, edge sensitive interrupt
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE -E)))
.
.
.
.
#     End dependent functions
(ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x12 (BAD)
        Next run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" and setserial, would suggest an irq
be chosen that doesn't conflict with an existing serial port. You can place
the commands in your /etc/rc.d/rc.serial file so it takes care of it all
during boot up. Below is what I've set mine to .........
        My modem reported COM3 IRQ4 port 0x3e8 under dos install.
# Latest 2.1 kernels (2.0.3x ???) needs spd_normal
/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x3e8 irq 5 uart 16550A skip_test  spd_vhi
/sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
        There are a number of GUI setups that make it easy, I use xisp, but
here is a script I used previously.
debug /dev/ttyS2 57600 debug modem defaultroute noipdefault
tail -f -n 10 /var/log/messages
        The "tail" above lets you monitor progress of the connection and can
be terminated by ^C.