Problem with an SMC EtherPower II 10/100

Problem with an SMC EtherPower II 10/100

Post by Raymond Burges » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I have got myself two SMC EtherPower IIs, I have one in a Windows machine
and one in a Linux Machine.

I have Downloaded the Driver for linux and the card has been running well,
But since its intoduction to the machine I have found the machine Locked
Solid 4 times, twice in the first hour after I installed the Card.  The
machine stayed up for two days and has crashed twice again this evening.

There could be a few Reasons for this.

The machines Powers Supply could be over loaded, The SMC is the machines
third Ether Card, and it has 5 Harddisks. (note it was up for for 40+ days
before I installed the the SMC, and experience no trouble)

The Driver could be causing the Kernel the Fall over and LockUp.

The i486dx2 could be on its last legs.

I have Booted without the driver and left the card in the machine to see if
it falls over again.  Im going to test the card and Driver in a Pentium to
see if it is just Time I upgrade the machine.

Any one have any ideas why the machine locks our how I can find out why?

Before the machine locks up and dies the Cards work like a dream...

1. SMC EtherPower II 10/100 vs 3C905B

Hi,
I need a good NIC for a dual PII server. I was looking at SMC EtherPower
II 10/100 (SMC9432BTX) and 3C905B.
Could someone please answer the following :
        - is the SMC9432BTX Bus Master DMA card ?
        - is the 3C509B Bus Master DMA card ( or maybe a Shared-memory ) ?
        - which of them shows better performance ( NFS, for example ) ?
        - how stable are Linux ( 2.0.35 ) drivers with SMP with these cards ?
My motherboard is Asus P2B-DS.
I was primarly looking at the SMC card ( having quite a good experience
with their ISA cards ), but ... I have read someone complaining about
SMC9432 that the 100BT port does not autoconfigure properly, someone else
complained that the ethernet card crashes all the time ... .
Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jacek.

2. can I create root equivalent users?

3. SMC EtherPower II 10/100

4. undeleting files

5. SMC EtherPower II 10/100 not recognized

6. Help: Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B PCI support??

7. SMC EtherPower II 10/100 vs 3C905B

8. UMSDOS - Slow?

9. Redhat 5.2 & SMC EtherPower II/10/100 & AWE64

10. SMC EtherPower II 10/100 PCI network card

11. SMC Etherpower 10/100 - Problems - any advice ?

12. SMC Etherpower 10/100 problem

13. SMC EtherPower 10/100 problems with 2.1.0/5