Ethernet IRQ conflict - I'm stuck

Post by John Smit » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Things used to work fine until I moved my 2 hard drives onto the udma66
slots
of my ABIT BE6 card and re-installed Mandrake.   I also have 2 cdrom drives
installed on ide0 and ide1.

Now, my ethernet card doesn't seem to function properly.  It still works
under windows.  I have a Realtek card, and the driver being picked is
ne2k-pci.

I'm sure all my settings are correct.  I'm an engineer and know my way
around computers.  My best guess is that the problem is that the ethernet
card, and the HPT366 udma66 controller are sharing irq 11
(ide2=0xb000,0xb400,11 ide3=0xbc00,0xc000,11 are the boot params used to get
linux to recognize the HPT366 udma controller).

I've tried fiddling with the BIOS settings to move the network card to
another interrupt, but for some reason, the nic doesn't want to use any
other interrupt.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to go next.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Thomas Boru » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Things used to work fine until I moved my 2 hard drives onto the udma66
> slots
> of my ABIT BE6 card and re-installed Mandrake.   I also have 2 cdrom drives
> installed on ide0 and ide1.

> Now, my ethernet card doesn't seem to function properly.  It still works
> under windows.  I have a Realtek card, and the driver being picked is
> ne2k-pci.

> I'm sure all my settings are correct.  I'm an engineer and know my way
> around computers.  My best guess is that the problem is that the ethernet
> card, and the HPT366 udma66 controller are sharing irq 11
> (ide2=0xb000,0xb400,11 ide3=0xbc00,0xc000,11 are the boot params used to get
> linux to recognize the HPT366 udma controller).

> I've tried fiddling with the BIOS settings to move the network card to
> another interrupt, but for some reason, the nic doesn't want to use any
> other interrupt.

> I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to go next.

> Thanks in advance.

Try to change the irq settings on your netcard to something else. This can be
done
with the setup program to the netcard (in dos mode). As i remember the netcard
need
a irq to do this change, so you have to free the irq it is using now.

Thomas Borup

Ethernet IRQ conflict - I'm stuck

Post by John Smit » Sun, 21 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks, Tom,

I finally figured it out.   My card was in PCI slot #3, and on the BE6
motherboard, slot #3 and the HP366 always share the same interrupt.  This
was why I couldn't change the interrupt in my BIOS.  I put the card in
another slot and everything works now.

> > Hi,

> > Things used to work fine until I moved my 2 hard drives onto the udma66
> > slots
> > of my ABIT BE6 card and re-installed Mandrake.   I also have 2 cdrom
drives
> > installed on ide0 and ide1.

> > Now, my ethernet card doesn't seem to function properly.  It still works
> > under windows.  I have a Realtek card, and the driver being picked is
> > ne2k-pci.

> > I'm sure all my settings are correct.  I'm an engineer and know my way
> > around computers.  My best guess is that the problem is that the
ethernet
> > card, and the HPT366 udma66 controller are sharing irq 11
> > (ide2=0xb000,0xb400,11 ide3=0xbc00,0xc000,11 are the boot params used to
get
> > linux to recognize the HPT366 udma controller).

> > I've tried fiddling with the BIOS settings to move the network card to
> > another interrupt, but for some reason, the nic doesn't want to use any
> > other interrupt.

> > I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to go next.

> > Thanks in advance.

> Try to change the irq settings on your netcard to something else. This can
be
> done
> with the setup program to the netcard (in dos mode). As i remember the
netcard
> need
> a irq to do this change, so you have to free the irq it is using now.

> Thomas Borup

Ethernet IRQ conflict - I'm stuck

Post by Adrian Sutto » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks, Tom,

> I finally figured it out.   My card was in PCI slot #3, and on the BE6
> motherboard, slot #3 and the HP366 always share the same interrupt.  This
> was why I couldn't change the interrupt in my BIOS.  I put the card in
> another slot and everything works now.

I'm normally a Mac user so I don't know intel hardware much at all.  Would
this kind of set up be common where the slot has a specific IRQ assigned to
it?

I ask because I am trying to get two 3c509 ethernet cards working in a
second hand IPEX P100 I've recently purchased and I can get one working at a
time, but as soon as I put both in, both Windows and Linux lose all network
access.

I'd love to solve this problem if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Adrian Sutton

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
        -- Mark Twain.

Ethernet IRQ conflict - I'm stuck

Post by C. C. McPherso » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> in article

Smith at

> > Thanks, Tom,

> > I finally figured it out.   My card was in PCI slot #3, and on the BE6
> > motherboard, slot #3 and the HP366 always share the same interrupt.  This
> > was why I couldn't change the interrupt in my BIOS.  I put the card in
> > another slot and everything works now.

> I'm normally a Mac user so I don't know intel hardware much at all.  Would
> this kind of set up be common where the slot has a specific IRQ assigned to
> it?

> I ask because I am trying to get two 3c509 ethernet cards working in a
> second hand IPEX P100 I've recently purchased and I can get one working at a
> time, but as soon as I put both in, both Windows and Linux lose all network
> access.

> I'd love to solve this problem if anyone can help.

> Thanks,

> Adrian Sutton

> Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
>         -- Mark Twain.

Adrian:

Just a concern on your 3C509's. Make sure that they are not
using the same IRQ's. You may have to reconfigure one via
the etherdisk dos utility (you can get it a 3com's web site)
go to

support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509/3c5096.1.htm

download both disk1 and disk2

-Clyde