Q: bus/cpu overclocking?

Post by Tamminen Ee » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have just changed the the bus frequency of my Asus/HX motherboard
from 66Mhz to 75Mhz.  That increaced my 133Mhz Intel CPU speed to
150Mhz.

The manual coming with the motherboard just showed that I can select
75Mhz, but it didn't present it as an alternative in the given examples.
So, I'm wondering whether this speed has been tested well enough, or
should I expect trouble in the long run?  With bus speed tripling
available through jumpers, I could get 225Mhz speed for CPU. Manual
mentions 200Mhz as top CPU speed. Which one is correct?

CPU runs fairly cool all the time with 150Mhz and everything works as
expected.  Will other components 'tire out' because of the increased bus
speed...?  (I have heard some talk about such things)

        - Eero,         http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~puujalka/

Q: bus/cpu overclocking?

Post by Julian Paul Philli » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi Eero,
  Your questions aren't really specific to Linux, and though someone here
might happen to have the answers, you would probably find out alot more alot
quickers by going to the Mecca of all overclockers: www.tomshardware.com.
There's probably a review of your board there, along with lots of general
stuff about the pros and cons of overclocking. The bottom line is to try to
go as far as you can, and see what happens. I doubt that you can get a 133 to
run at 225 without liquid cooling, but I'd love to find out that I'm wrong.

Cheers, Julian.

: I have just changed the the bus frequency of my Asus/HX motherboard
: from 66Mhz to 75Mhz.  That increaced my 133Mhz Intel CPU speed to
: 150Mhz.

: The manual coming with the motherboard just showed that I can select
: 75Mhz, but it didn't present it as an alternative in the given examples.
: So, I'm wondering whether this speed has been tested well enough, or
: should I expect trouble in the long run?  With bus speed tripling
: available through jumpers, I could get 225Mhz speed for CPU. Manual
: mentions 200Mhz as top CPU speed. Which one is correct?

: CPU runs fairly cool all the time with 150Mhz and everything works as
: expected.  Will other components 'tire out' because of the increased bus
: speed...?  (I have heard some talk about such things)

:       - Eero,         http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~puujalka/

1. the best choice for overclocking cpu and bus speed?????

If someone knows the best configuration then let  me know. I think a
pentium classic is the best choice fo cpu but what about the mainboard and
a pci card( videocard)
let me know.

2. TNT help in RedHat

3. overclocking,ne2000, and the EISE bus

4. Windows client for ssh?

5. Overclock system bus

6. How to fopen("dun*.dat","r")?

7. overclocking vs bus speed

8. Cache problem w/ bitmaps

9. Overclocked CPU under Linux

10. overclocking CPUs - turn up the temp.

11. overclocking CPU

12. Overclocking Cyrix CPUs

13. Linux & overclocked CPU