RAID (striping) using just MB ports

Post by Tom Emerso » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Recently I wrote and asked if the Promise Fastrack [raid] controller worked
under linux, and the basic answer I got was well, sort of, but Promise
doesn't promise to support it...

SO, now I'm curious -- most motherboards out there nowadays come with dual
[u]DMA IDE ports, so can they be used for a stripe set?  [I presume I would
have to use BOTH ports and set both drives to be the "master"]  This would
[probably] preclude the use of slave devices on each channel [unless I
wanted to extend the striping to a second set of drives], and I certainly
should NOT consider placing a CDROM on either channel [but, perhaps a
sound-card based IDE would work?]

Is there a FAQ/howto/mini-howto on setting up raid striping under linux?
Do I need to compile in kernel support? [are any of the pre-compiled
kernels from the "popular" distributions compiled with this support?]

Can the "root" directory be "striped"? [egad, I JUST thought of how much of
a mess THAT would make, how does the system BOOT if the "boot" section
is/can be striped?]

1. Using a 525 Mb tape drive to write/read 150 Mb tapes ...

I have unsuccessfully tried to use a 525 Mb tape drive with 150 Mb tapes
after obviously having set the correct density with the chdev -l rmt0 -a density_set_1 ...
command. The problem appears when I run the mksysb command.

Does anyone know how to cope with this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Phone : 223.44.24                     94 Avenue Gambetta
Fax   : 223.49.91                     75020 PARIS    FRANCE

2. can't open tun device after new kernel installed?

3. Promise 378 SATA Raid controller stripe configuration MBFastTrack78

4. Dual CPU Compaq Proliant problem with Solaris 7

5. RAID - striping and mirroring

6. Lilo on /dev/hdc MBR, W2k on /hda is it possible?

7. striping and raid

8. Can Linux mount NeXT filesystem

9. **Striped Filesystems, RAID, etc.**

10. Linux RAID/STRIPE SET INFO PLEASE

11. stripe size when setting up RAID 0 for oracle

12. Promise Ultra 66 and Quantum Drives with SW Raid (Striped)

13. raid 5, striping and oracle tablespaces.