Promise 378 SATA Raid controller stripe configuration MBFastTrack78

Promise 378 SATA Raid controller stripe configuration MBFastTrack78

Post by Thomas Frayn » Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:20:42

I need to switch from the ICHR controller to the Promise controller on my
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.  However, I am part way through installing the ICHR
controller, and don't know how to start again from scratch.  The array was
built for the ICHR, but I was unable to install a Linux driver for ICHR.
I found the Promise driver, but MBFastTrack78 does not seem to run, and I
have found no way to start it.  Ctrl-F does not seem to work.

I think I need to delete the array and build it again.  How can I do this?

Post by Rick Moe » Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:41:36

> I need to switch from the ICHR controller to the Promise controller on my
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.  However, I am part way through installing the ICHR
> controller, and don't know how to start again from scratch.  The array was
> built for the ICHR, but I was unable to install a Linux driver for ICHR.
> I found the Promise driver, but MBFastTrack78 does not seem to run, and I
> have found no way to start it.  Ctrl-F does not seem to work.

> I think I need to delete the array and build it again.  How can I do this?

If you're counting on Linux being able to use Promise's proprietary
software RAID, my advice would be to _not_ try doing so, and instead use
Linux's native software RAID, which is better in any event.

More on:  "Serial ATA" linked from http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware .

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                     Age, baro, fac ut gaudeam.

1. Promise 378, SATA, and AMD-64

Ok, I'm an early adopter, I know, but I was wondering if anyone has gotten
an AMD-64 system with the Promise SATA 378 chip to boot with only SATA
drives? I've gotten Linux to boot and then finally see the SATA drives, but
I have to start with an existing IDE drive. That's not why I got the system
though. Getting normal 32bit Winblows to install wasn't that bad, but
getting the new RH taroon beta (AMD-64 version) to install is giving me
fits. I suspect if I tried an existing 32bit Linux, that would work, but
once again, that's not why I got the system. I did manage to build the
Promise module to work natively with the installed RH kernel, but that same
module causes the system lock solid when I try to use it with the
installer. This is simple ATA config, no RAID involved.

So, has anyone managed to get the new promise drivers to build for the
AMD-64, and then gotten either RH or Suse to install (the 64 bit versions
that is)? And would anyone be willing to share what they did to get that
way? Thanks in advance
--
Pete Buelow
replace nospam with putzin to reply to me

2. LDAP server for Linux?

3. FastTrack 378 SATA RAID (A8V)

4. etc/update

5. Promise FastTrak 378 RAID controler and kernel v2.6.x

6. Laptop keyboard setup

7. Promise Controller or megaraid ata100 controller raid 0

8. help with 3Com IQ ISDN term. adaptor

9. Installing Linux on a RAID array using the Promise PDC20276 ATA 133 RAID controller

10. Fix for promise RAID controllers not working as IDE controllers in 2.4.19

11. Promise Controller for megaraid ata100 controller raid 0

12. Mounting a RAID-0 partition on an IDE-SCSI/RAID Promise Lite controller

13. promise sata controller question