Dell Optiplex GX, GX1, GN: anyone running linux/FreeBSD on them?

Dell Optiplex GX, GX1, GN: anyone running linux/FreeBSD on them?

Post by k.. » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Dell Optiplex GX, GX1, GN: anyone running Linux/FreeBSD on them?  They
variously come with CPU integrated "3Com 10/100 Mbps WuOL capable
ethernet controller", which isn't listed in the hardware compatibility
listing at Redhat, and an "entry level 2D/3D AGP video controller".
Any experience out there?  Send email, thanks, will summarize if I get
info.

--

Post by Walter Harm » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Dell Optiplex GX, GX1, GN: anyone running Linux/FreeBSD on them?  They
>variously come with CPU integrated "3Com 10/100 Mbps WuOL capable
>ethernet controller", which isn't listed in the hardware compatibility
>listing at Redhat, and an "entry level 2D/3D AGP video controller".
>Any experience out there?  Send email, thanks, will summarize if I get
>info.
>--

I have install dell G1 and GN , successfully. Using SuSE 5.2/3 no real
problem but some pitfalls. Mail me for specific questions if you like.

        walter

--
-----
"Even in this corner of the galaxy, captain, two plus two equals four!"

Post by Charles Webe » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >Dell Optiplex GX, GX1, GN: anyone running Linux/FreeBSD on them?  They
> >variously come with CPU integrated "3Com 10/100 Mbps WuOL capable
> >ethernet controller", which isn't listed in the hardware compatibility
> >listing at Redhat, and an "entry level 2D/3D AGP video controller".
> >Any experience out there?  Send email, thanks, will summarize if I get
> >info.

> >--

> I have install dell G1 and GN , successfully. Using SuSE 5.2/3 no real
> problem but some pitfalls. Mail me for specific questions if you like.

>         walter

> --
> -----
> "Even in this corner of the galaxy, captain, two plus two equals four!"
> -----

I have had no problems with rh5.1 and ati xfree on a gx1 we use for dhcp
server etc..
Chuck

1. Summary: Dell Optiplex GX, GX1, GN: anyone running linux/FreeBSD on them?

I wrote on Tuesday, September 22, 1998 10:34:

Article: 44522 of comp.os.linux.hardware

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 23 Sep 1998 16:05:26 GMT

I have install dell G1 and GN , successfully. Using SuSE 5.2/3 no real
problem but some pitfalls. Mail me for specific questions if you like.

        walter

I am using RedHat 5.0 on a Dell OptiPlex GXa which has an integrated
ATI Rage Pro AGP chip which seems to work fine using the SuSE_Mach64
server.  It also has an integrated LAN chip but I have not had a chance
to check it out yet.  I do have a small problem with occassional QUOTE
` UNQUOTE characters appearing in addition to the entered key.  Suse
thinks this could be a hardware problem.

Regards

Dick Halley

Subject: Dell optiplex GX1......Linux

Ken,

 I have loaded RH 5.0 on my GX1 at work in a fips adjusted 4.3 gig hd.
The company doesn't know about the 700 meg ext2fs partition. :-)
It came with win95(ick) fat32 drive, fips 2.x adjusted it very easily.
I had to get the 2.0.35 source and I compiled in the 3c9xx driver into
the kernel.(not module) I had to use SuSE Mach64 X server 3.3.2(?) to
get the Xwin to sync. It had a ATI Rage II.... controller.

 The trick is I built a vmlinuz kernel on my laptop with the drivers
I needed for the GX1 and mcopy'ied it to the GX1 via floppy. I had
installed RH5 with some default stuff but didn't config the network
at install time. After copying the kernel to the /boot dir and setting
/etc/lilo.conf up to let me pick the default or the copyied kernel
my system booted clean and saw the 3c905b. I then manually configed
the network the way I wanted to.

Scott

-ken rich

2. Optimizing For X2 Modem

3. Dell OptiPlex Gn+ -problem

4. 2.4.2 Advantech WDT driver

5. DELL Optiplex GX Pro Linux 2.0.35 reports BM DMA not enabled

6. Yet another newbie question...

7. Ethernet media rate negotiation on Dell OptiPlex GX1

8. NFS Portmapper failure

9. Crystal 4236B/DELL OptiPlex Gx1 sound card

10. Compiling error for 3com Ethernet driver 3c90x on Dell Optiplex GX1

11. Jittering problem ATI Rage Pro/Dell Optiplex GX1

12. Dell Optiplex GX1 Sound under RH6 ?

13. Dell Optiplex GX1 Crystal CS4236b Sound Card Problems