HP DAT switched off during boot

Post by Joerg Hab » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi all !

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I'm tired of searching all those how-to's over
and over...
I have a HP DAT streamer connected to my Linux box (Linux 1.2.0, NCR 53C810 SCSI
chip) which works fine - at least when it was recognized during boot, which
implies that the streamer is switched on while booting. I cannot access the tape
if it was switched on while the system is running ("/dev/st0: No such device").
But the latter is exactly what I wanna do!
Can anybody tell me if there is a chance to get this running? (btw: this
works under SunOS, so it should be possible under Linux as well ;-)
Any help or comment is appreciated, email is preferred.

Thanks a lot,
Joerg

--

  Mathematisches Institut        Tel.:  49-89-2105-8128
  TU Muenchen                    Fax :  49-89-2105-8156

1. Can DAT drives switch compression on and off?

There are DAT drives without compression which can store 2 GB.
There are DAT drives with hardware compression which can store 4 or more GB.
(Sorry, I don't know any brand names off the top of my head.)

I am comtemplating a SCSI DAT drive for backup purposes for my Linux system.
I want to know whether it is possible for the compression to be
switched on and off, so that foreign DAT tapes can be read or written.

If there is a DAT drive that can do this, I would like to know:

1) the manufacturer and model of that drive
2) how the switch can be done (proprietary software? SCSI vendor-specific command?
   DAT board jumper?)
3) whether the drive can detect, then read, an uncompressed tape.

Anybody with experience can e-mail me at the address below, or post
to one of the two newsgroups this was posted to.

Thanks in advance.

My views; I don't think my company will want 'em!
(At least not in this newsgroup...)

2. FTP - Default rights

3. S: HP-DAT 35480 - compression off (Software)

4. edit the content

5. Compression Switching DAT (HP C1533A)

6. Print Spooling to JetDirectEX Boxes

7. Docs for HP 35480A SCSI DAT drive's DIP switch settings?

8. Symbolic link trouble in Apache 1.30

9. HP DAT drive (C1533A) configuration switches?

10. Switching Off An Ethernet Client With A Hardware Switch

11. Red flash during boot and KVM switch (Solaris x86)

12. when booting kernel: screen switches off

13. DAT TAPE DRIVES: Wangtek can't read HP DAT tapes