Creating and using /dev/apm_bios

Post by cwri.. » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I've got an IBM TP600 that works just great with Linux after following
the instructions on http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/.
Suspend and hibernate work great when invoked through the hot keys.

I'm now trying to go a bit further.  kapm is a KDE apm program that's
supposed to allow suspend and hibernate through program control.

But since RedHat 5.2 did not come "APM ready", I have had to create my
own /dev/apm_bios file. I did:

  mknod /dev/apm_bios c 10 134
  chmod 666 /dev/apm_bios

Naturally, this creates the file just fine and makes it world-
writable.  But now, kapm complains "Operation not permitted" when I
try to suspend, which, when looking at the kapm source, means that the
ioctl() failed.

System config:
RedHat 5.2
kernel 2.0.36 with the following APM settings:
  Ignore user suspend=NO
  Enable PM at boot=NO
  Make CPU idle calls=YES
  Enable console blanking=YES
  Power off on shutdown=YES
  Ignore multiple suspend=NO

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any help.

Charles Wright