RamDisk Problem: System Hang During Linux Installation

RamDisk Problem: System Hang During Linux Installation

Post by Jenny Lu » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi  there,

I am trying to install Linux on 486SX (120MB HDD, 4MB RAM) as a server.
During installation the computer hang after RAMDISK loading. The last
message is:

Ramdisk: compressed image found in block 0

Suspect the ramdisk is too small. Could anybody help on how I can
disable ramdisk?

thanks and regards

Richard

RamDisk Problem: System Hang During Linux Installation

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 09 Jul 2000 18:32:06 -0700, Jenny Luo

Quote:>I am trying to install Linux on 486SX (120MB HDD, 4MB RAM) as a server.
>During installation the computer hang after RAMDISK loading. The last
>message is:

>Ramdisk: compressed image found in block 0

>Suspect the ramdisk is too small. Could anybody help on how I can
>disable ramdisk?

No, the problem is that your machine has too little memory to do a
standard install of any normal distribution.  There's a guide on how to do
an installation if your available RAM is so tiny; it's at
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/4mb-Laptops.html
although if you want this machine to serve *anything*, you'd better go get
more memory and a bigger disk.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

RamDisk Problem: System Hang During Linux Installation

Post by gLiTc » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm taking a stab at this here (seriously) but I really don't think you
want to disable the ramdisk, nor are you able to.  The ramdisk is what the
kernel image is loaded in to (decompressed).

 More than likely the reason for this error is because you only have 4 megs
of RAM. You dont' specify your distro but more than likely you are using a
newer one that needs at least 16 megs of RAM for installation.  You will
either need to upgrade RAM or get another distro (such as an old version of
Slackware) that doesn't need a lot of RAM to install.

Brandon