second display won't work

Post by freemon » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:49:01

Hello all. My setup works fine in WinXP.
In Xandros3, I am unable to get both monitors working. When I change
display properties by checking "expand desktop to this monitor", upon
restart of the desktop the primary monitor goes black and the 2nd display
is a mess of colored horizontal lines. Ctl-Alt-Del and Esc do nothing at
this point. I must kill the pc via power button, and Restore from cd
before the primary monitor will come back up.
Primary monitor is coming off nvidia 32mb PCI card.
Secondary monitor is coming off the mobo, Intel 810 chipset. (I know, I
know, but I'm poor. :-) )
BIOS is set to use PCI video, where my choices are PCI or onboard. As
stated, this works fine under XP.
Driver installed for the onboard display is i810.
I have tried a handful of different resolution settings and refresh rates
when "extending" to the 2nd monitor, but it always turns out the same. I
thought it best to ask here because I'm really tired of having to go
through the Repair routine every time I make a change.  Hopefully there's
something easy that I'm
unaware of.

I have posted this to the Xandros forums also, but as yet have not
received a reply.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Bear in mind please, I'm new to Linux.

--
freemont

second display won't work

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:28:22

> I am unable to get both monitors working. When I change display
> properties by checking "expand desktop to this monitor", upon restart of
> the desktop the primary monitor goes black and the 2nd display is a mess
> of colored horizontal lines. Ctl-Alt-Del and Esc do nothing at this
> point.

No, X is supposed to block ctrl-alt-del and esc has no purpose on X.
Blocking ctrl-alt-del is a really good thing to do as some users which
also use another OS might have the bad habit of pressing ctrl-alt-del when
they are going to log in or lock the screen.

Quote:> I must kill the pc via power button, and Restore from cd

No you don't. You could kill X only with ctrl-alt-backspace or switch to
another virtual terminal with ctrl-alt-f2. Once back at a terminal you
should be able to check out logs to see what went wrong. I'm not familiar
with your distro, but in Slackware those logs are in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log depending on which version
of Slackare and which X server is used.

Quote:> I have tried a handful of different resolution settings and refresh
> rates when "extending" to the 2nd monitor, but it always turns out the
> same.

Wrong refresh settings could cause your problem. You are not supposed to
find your refresh rates with trial and error, you should use the
horisontal and vertical refresh rates that your monitor support. These
values are found in the manual of your monitor in a chapter called
something like "technical specifikations". If you don't have any manual,
try to do a search on google for technical data for your monitor.

Maybe your distribution has some tool for configuring X, but you could
always edit the configuration file yourself. In Slackware that file might
be called /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Search for some lines
looking like this:

# Any number of monitor sections may be present
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Fujitsu"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    HorizSync   30-95

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    VertRefresh 50-160

EndSection

As you have  two monitors you probably have two monitor sections. Later
in the same file you will see which monitor is connected to which card
with something like this:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "Powercolor Radeon 9200"
    Monitor     "Fujitsu"

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

1. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

Take the video card out and see if that helps - I had a system recently that
would not do anything because of a bad video card.

Don Woodward
www.sunsunsun.net

2. Anyone Using SWiM Motif 1.2.4?

3. FreeBSD 4.2 and Matrox Millennium G450 Dual Head LE

4. CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help

5. hard drive: part II

6. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

7. Missing /etc/init.d/serial (?)

8. ne2000 won't work with second ide controller

9. 'Server already active for display 0' - won't start

10. After linux's network works, win XP's network cannot work ?

11. XF86_SVGA 'Removing mode (800x400) that won't display properly...'

12. 'make' won't work w/o '-f Makefile', which sucks.