Overclocking Pentium 90mhz to 100mhz - any flakiness ?

Overclocking Pentium 90mhz to 100mhz - any flakiness ?

Post by Wilson T » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I just purchased a pentium 90mhz with a ASUS PCI/i-p54sp4 p.c.b. 1.4
motherboard.  I just overclocked the board to 100mhz by changing 3
jumpers.  Presumably, this should cause problems as the chip is
designated a 90 mhz chip.

The question is how much flakeyness will this cause and how can I
tell if problems are being caused by the overclocking ?

Can I damage the chip or other components by overclocking ?

There are many people with 60mhz and 90mhz pentiums - please
reply with your experience even if you don't know answers to
above questions - a survey of the results of overclocking would be
most informative.

Post by Henry Wert » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:(Wilson Tam) writes:
>I just purchased a pentium 90mhz with a ASUS PCI/i-p54sp4 p.c.b. 1.4
>motherboard.  I just overclocked the board to 100mhz by changing 3
>jumpers.  Presumably, this should cause problems as the chip is
>designated a 90 mhz chip.

>The question is how much flakeyness will this cause and how can I
>tell if problems are being caused by the overclocking ?

     It could range from (maybe) nothing through completely not working.
Quote:>Can I damage the chip or other components by overclocking ?

     Yes, watch the heat!  Make sure you get *good* ventilation on it!  Even
with good ventilation, this can apparently reduce the life of the processor,
although you know, the way things are going you'll probably want to upgrade by
then anyway, probably to something with the new architecture of 4 or 5 years
down the road.
Quote:>There are many people with 60mhz and 90mhz pentiums - please
>reply with your experience even if you don't know answers to
>above questions - a survey of the results of overclocking would be
>most informative.

     I think Intel makes all the Pentiums 90/100's in an equal manner, and
just tests whichever ones will clock to 100 mhz and pass the reliability tests
are 100 mhz Pentiums;  the ones that fail that are 90's;  the ones that fail
that are 75's.  They might even sell some really crude ones as 66's or 60's.
Mostly of the 60's and 66's are a somewhat different path width though (isn't
it 3 microns versus 5?) and run at 5 volts instead of 3.3 though.
     If it's rated 90 mhz, it probably runs 90 mhz, and maybe will do 92, 95,
even 99, but probably not 100;  if it was a 100, it would have been sold as a
100.

---

for this .sig 8-)
It's reported that Canter & Siegel search for and archive all articles
that contain their names or "Green Card".  This .sig is to help them.

1. Overclock 100Mhz Pentium

Last week, on putting together a new pentium system consisting of a P5-100
gigabyte triton MB w/ 256k PB cache
32M 70ns RAM (-parity)

I tried overclocking it to 120MHz. It seemed to run fine, but when I tried to
compile the kernel, cc1 kept dying on the same file (sched.c I think) with
an error 6 or 11 (different each time). Since it was fine both before and after
at 100MHz, I assume it must have been due to the overclocking. It just seemed
strange that it would work well, then die at the same point each time. I assume
there is nothing that I can change in other parts of the system to give me a
better chance since going to 120 involves slowing down the clockspeed.

Any comments?

Ian

2. Notification on completion of background jobs

3. Need suggestions on running Linux and X on a 90Mhz Pentium

4. Oops early on in 2.4.20 boot

5. Ethernet setup on Pentium 90MHz

6. 2 dif HDs refuse to boot with LILO

7. Does Linux work on any 90MhZ Pentium?

8. ascii -> postscript

9. Need suggestions of running Linux and X on 90Mhz Pentium

10. SUCCESS: Pentium 90MHz, Slackware

11. Low BogoMips on Pentium 90MHz

12. 1.2.8 and Intel ZP triton 90mhz pentium

13. Micronics 90MHz PCI Pentium