multiple cdrom devices using scsi emulation

multiple cdrom devices using scsi emulation

Post by Niko Bend » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:55:34

Hello,

I have a Laptop with Toshiba-CDROM/DVD/RW SD-R2102. I have installed
RedHat Linux 7.2 with scsi-emulation (boot-param: hdc=ide-scsi).
the hardware browser shows 7 devices instead of only one. They are
named /dev/scd0 ... /dev/scd6. If I input a CD-ROM Gnome automounts 7
devices. If I remove the devices /dev/cdrom1 ... /dev/cdrom6 from
/etc/fstab, it works - but only this session. next bootup all devices
are in /dev/fstab again. What's going on here? How can I solve the
problem?

Thanks

Niko

multiple cdrom devices using scsi emulation

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:29:34

On 13 Mar 2002 03:55:34 -0800, Niko Bender staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> I have a Laptop with Toshiba-CDROM/DVD/RW SD-R2102. I have installed
> RedHat Linux 7.2 with scsi-emulation (boot-param: hdc=ide-scsi).  the
> hardware browser shows 7 devices instead of only one. They are named
> /dev/scd0 ... /dev/scd6.

The kernel was compiled with "probe all LUNs on each SCSI device" turned
on.  Compile a kernel with that option turned off.  It is only necessary
for CD changers and some esoteric hardware, so I have no idea why they
set it to "on" in the default Redhat kernel.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Jim McDonal » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:07:23

> Hello,

> I have a Laptop with Toshiba-CDROM/DVD/RW SD-R2102. I have installed
> RedHat Linux 7.2 with scsi-emulation (boot-param: hdc=ide-scsi).
> the hardware browser shows 7 devices instead of only one. They are
> named /dev/scd0 ... /dev/scd6. If I input a CD-ROM Gnome automounts 7
> devices. If I remove the devices /dev/cdrom1 ... /dev/cdrom6 from
> /etc/fstab, it works - but only this session. next bootup all devices
> are in /dev/fstab again. What's going on here? How can I solve the
> problem?

> Thanks

> NikoKuzu

I have a CD changer on my system, so I need "probe all LUNs"; IIRC,
removing all mention of kudzu from fstab and rc*.d kept my desktop neat.
--

Jim McDonald
http://www.stanford.edu/~mcduck

1. ide-scsi emulation and cdrom devices

 I'm running RedHat 5.2.  My disk configuration is as follows:

ide0:    Master    Western Digital 5gb hard disk
            Slave        Western Digital 2 gb hard drive
ide1:    Master    Memorex 40x cdrom
            Slave        HP cd burner
AdvanSys SCSI:    0        Tandberg 2gb tape drive
                                1        IBM 2gb disk drive (my root
disk).

    I installed cdrecord and xcdroast.  In order to access the cd
burner, I had to enable ide-scsi emulation, and turn off the eide
support for ide cdroms (involved a kernel rebuild).  Everything works
fine now, except I can't figure out what device the cdroms are at to
mount/read cd's.  The Memorex
used to be hdc, the HP hdd.   I aliased the AdvanSys to be the first
scsi adapter and the ide as adapter1.   I can't figure out which device
to mount the cdrom on.  If I try hdc, I get error messages about illegal

scsi instructions ( I expected this to fail).  The device for my root
disk is sda2 (the first partition is for swap).  I expected the cdrom to

be sdb1, but no luck.  My hard drives are still hdax and hdbx.  What
device should my cdrom's be?

jim c

2. XFree V.4.0.1 and Xconfigurator

3. timeout on TUR to IDE CDROM using SCSI emulation

4. Transparent Proxy for Win9x...

5. PROBLEM: bad device file for cdrom while using devfs and ide-scsi

6. xosview-1.4.0 Compile problems

7. ide cdrom and cdrom writer with scsi harddisk using cdrecord can't find cd reader

8. pdisk for Mac???

9. xcdroast and multiple IDE drives on SCSI emulation

10. ide-scsi emulation and cdrom mount

11. scsi emulation for ATAPI CDROMS

12. cdrom + scsi-emulation = Linux TOT!

13. 2.5.10(bk r1.558): oops on mount cdrom (scsi emulation)