Computer Case recommendation?

Post by Eric Turne » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Any suggestions on a nice AT or ATX case to house an ASUS SP97-V
motherboard? I'm looking for a well-built, easily accessible case
(removable side?) in the $125 and under (U.S.) price range. Would also
be nice if it had the slide trays for adding and removing hard drives,
etc. Any particular manufacturer recommendations or ones I should avoid?

Eric Turner

--

InWin Q500 Fulltower..

It's a great fulltower ATX Case. Nice to
work in etc.. Search on the name on the net and
you will find pics/info's about it.

No slide trays though for harddrives etc.

/Roger

Post by Cornbrea » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > Any suggestions on a nice AT or ATX case to house an ASUS SP97-V
> > motherboard? I'm looking for a well-built, easily accessible case
> > (removable side?) in the $125 and under (U.S.) price range. Would also
> > be nice if it had the slide trays for adding and removing hard drives,
> > etc. Any particular manufacturer recommendations or ones I should avoid?

> > Eric Turner

> --

> InWin Q500 Fulltower..

> It's a great fulltower ATX Case. Nice to
> work in etc.. Search on the name on the net and
> you will find pics/info's about it.

> No slide trays though for harddrives etc.

> /Roger

You can get sliding trays for removable HDs for $15 at a computer show.
They hold the harddrive and have a lock and key thingy.

--
this is an original signature

Post by Daniel W. Forsyt » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > > Any suggestions on a nice AT or ATX case to house an ASUS SP97-V
> > > motherboard? I'm looking for a well-built, easily accessible case
> > > (removable side?) in the $125 and under (U.S.) price range. Would also
> > > be nice if it had the slide trays for adding and removing hard drives,
> > > etc. Any particular manufacturer recommendations or ones I should avoid?

> > > Eric Turner

> > --

> > InWin Q500 Fulltower..

> > It's a great fulltower ATX Case. Nice to
> > work in etc.. Search on the name on the net and
> > you will find pics/info's about it.

> > No slide trays though for harddrives etc.

> > /Roger

Roger we sell Antec cases for $200.00 CANADIAN, they are quite nice, very
rugged cases.  Check them out,
www.antec-inc.com.

--
Dan Forsyth
Dataforge.

Post by Michael Meissne » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Any suggestions on a nice AT or ATX case to house an ASUS SP97-V
> motherboard? I'm looking for a well-built, easily accessible case
> (removable side?) in the $125 and under (U.S.) price range. Would also
> be nice if it had the slide trays for adding and removing hard drives,
> etc. Any particular manufacturer recommendations or ones I should avoid?

Lots of people sing the praises of the InWin Q500, but I feel they could have
done better.  I don't like the way the panels go together (and have never been
able to*the top panel back in).  I would also prefer to have no tool
access to the machine, rather than having to remove 5 screws.  I have some heat
problems with the case that I'm still trying to sort out (and I'm not even
using the 3 1/2" disk cage anymore, which certainly appears to be a heat
collector).  You need an extra long floppy cable to reach the floppy drive (and
some of the 5 1/4" drives as well need longer cables).  The parallel port
wasn't attached all that firmly, and one of the*connectors came off.  If
you put a DataPort removable disk container in the top 5 1/4" slot, it makes
the cable run for the floppy very cramped.

One of the manufacturers of removable disk cartridges is Connector Resources
Unlimited (http://www.veryComputer.com/).  They make the DataPort series of
frames and cartridges.  The DataPort IV series is fairly low end (both IDE and
narrow SCSI, plastic frame/cartridge, cheap fan), DataPort V is better quality
(both IDE and narrow SCSI, metal frame, better fan), DataPort VI is even better
quality (narrow/wide/SCA SCSI, fan has alarm if it fails, metal cartridge), and
DataPort VII has even more features (filter on incoming air, better ultra
support, etc.).  I just put in a DataPort VI frame in both my home computer and
work computer, and put a cartridge holding a Quantuam Viking disk for
transporting data.  They are fairly expensive ($80 for the frame alone, $140
for a frame + SCA cartridge).  I got it at Dirt Cheap Drives
(http://www.veryComputer.com/), but I'm not that happy with them, since they've
messed up each of my orders.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Post by Drew Berna » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: Any suggestions on a nice AT or ATX case to house an ASUS SP97-V
: motherboard? I'm looking for a well-built, easily accessible case
: (removable side?) in the $125 and under (U.S.) price range. Would also
: be nice if it had the slide trays for adding and removing hard drives,
: etc. Any particular manufacturer recommendations or ones I should avoid?

I really like Addtronics cases. A brief list of features:
  Front filters to keep dust out
  Swing-out side doors that can be removed without tools
  Drive runners (screw onto drive,*into case)
  Lots of fan slots (two in front, several on drive bays)
  Takes full-size AT or full-size ATX
  Optional casters

Their web site is http://www.veryComputer.com/~addtron. I'm currently using a
3890 and a 6890 case for a Win95 and Linux box, and I've put together
a server with the 7890. They're really nice cases.

Drew

--

                                 |   |  |  Linux User: Daemon Tamer
     Chai -=UDIC=- Dragon            |  |  EDSP               MELEE
]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8} ]B=8}

Computer Case recommendation?

Post by Ole-Morten Duesu » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm currently looking for a noiceless, or at least very silent computer
case. Ideally an ATX miditower, with no screws and easy opening etc...
Any suggestions ? Or even better, any suggested retailers in Norway ?

--
Ole-Morten Duesund
Commit random acts of kindness, and senseless acts of beauty.

Post by Derek B. Noonbu » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I'm currently looking for a noiceless, or at least very silent computer
> case. Ideally an ATX miditower, with no screws and easy opening etc...
> Any suggestions ? Or even better, any suggested retailers in Norway ?

You might be interested in this:

    http://www.silentsystems.com/

I haven't bought anything from them, so I have no idea if their
products are any good.  Can anyone recommend or disrecommend them?

- Derek

1. Looking for computer case/chassis recommendations for a 32-node PC cluster

Looking for computer case/chassis recommendations for a 32-node PC cluster.
I am building a 32-node PC cluster for my school's MPI programming lab?  I
am planning to put a single Intel P4 3.2Ghz processor MB, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 40GB
HD (for booting), dual Gigabit LAN and Video in each cluster.  Thanks for
your help!

Dave

2. Text Storage formats .............................

3. Recommendations wanted for workstations and CASE tools

4. LaTeX problem with Slackware 2.0.1

5. Case recommendation -- off topic query

6. Unix better than NT -- The answer

7. case recommendation

8. linux nfs install bootdisk (slack 3.4)

9. CASE tool recommendations

10. looking for rackmount case/server recommendations?

11. Microsoft Antitrust Case & Computer Industry Competition - C-SPAN2

12. Cool Computer Cases???

13. Computer case info request..