gimp and xscanimage: cannot find module char-major-81

gimp and xscanimage: cannot find module char-major-81

Post by Richard M. Denne » Tue, 01 May 2001 15:06:12

I have a SCSI Microtek 35t slide scanner (connected to an Adaptec 2930
CU card) that I have used with GIMP and xscanimage for two years. I find
it no longer works under Linux. I have recently upgraded to RedHat 7 and
compiled kernel 2.4.1 (from 2.2.17). GIMP, sane and xsane are from the
RedHat 7 package. The other devices on the chain (a Microtek E6 scanner,
a 100 Meg Zip drive and a Yamaha CDROM writer work as before.
Furthermore, the scanner appears to be OK since it will scan properly
under Windows NT. (This is a dual-boot machine using NT boot loader. I
normally run NT in vmware under Linux, but can boot NT independently.)

When I attempt to access the scanner, /var/log/messages acquires the
message:

Apr 30 00:54:45 rdenney modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-81
Apr 30 00:54:45 rdenney last message repeated 4 times

*****Can anyone tell me how to tell what module char-major-81 is? This
error message does not occur when the other scanner on the chain (the E6
flatbed scanner) is accessed. (The latter works properly.)

I have made several changes to my system recently and only use my slide
scanner occasionally, so I frankly am not sure when this problem cropped
up.  But I am ANNOYED!

Rick

Post by BetrOffDe » Wed, 02 May 2001 12:12:05

> I have a SCSI Microtek 35t slide scanner (connected to an Adaptec 2930
> CU card) that I have used with GIMP and xscanimage for two years. I find
> it no longer works under Linux. I have recently upgraded to RedHat 7 and
> compiled kernel 2.4.1 (from 2.2.17). GIMP, sane and xsane are from the
> RedHat 7 package. The other devices on the chain (a Microtek E6 scanner,
> a 100 Meg Zip drive and a Yamaha CDROM writer work as before.
> Furthermore, the scanner appears to be OK since it will scan properly
> under Windows NT. (This is a dual-boot machine using NT boot loader. I
> normally run NT in vmware under Linux, but can boot NT independently.)

> When I attempt to access the scanner, /var/log/messages acquires the
> message:

> Apr 30 00:54:45 rdenney modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-81
> Apr 30 00:54:45 rdenney last message repeated 4 times

> *****Can anyone tell me how to tell what module char-major-81 is? This
> error message does not occur when the other scanner on the chain (the E6
> flatbed scanner) is accessed. (The latter works properly.)

> I have made several changes to my system recently and only use my slide
> scanner occasionally, so I frankly am not sure when this problem cropped
> up.  But I am ANNOYED!

> Rick

According to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt

 81 char        video4linux

I won't be of much help here beyond that though. I know xscanimage can
look for and use /dev/video and /dev/bttv, which is what its trying to
find, but I don't know why it would bomb out on not finding it.

You could try inserting the scsi (whatever one is appropriate) and sg
modules manually first to see if that helps, because apparently its not
finding an input source, and you should also be able to comment out the
entries in sane.d/v4l.conf to get it to stop looking for char-major-81.

Post by Richard M. Denne » Wed, 02 May 2001 10:48:32

> > I have a SCSI Microtek 35t slide scanner (connected to an Adaptec 2930
> > CU card) that I have used with GIMP and xscanimage for two years. I find
> > it no longer works under Linux. I have recently upgraded to RedHat 7 and
> > compiled kernel 2.4.1 (from 2.2.17). GIMP, sane and xsane are from the
> > RedHat 7 package. The other devices on the chain (a Microtek E6 scanner,
> > a 100 Meg Zip drive and a Yamaha CDROM writer work as before.
> > Furthermore, the scanner appears to be OK since it will scan properly
> > under Windows NT. (This is a dual-boot machine using NT boot loader. I
> > normally run NT in vmware under Linux, but can boot NT independently.)

> > When I attempt to access the scanner, /var/log/messages acquires the
> > message:

> > Apr 30 00:54:45 rdenney modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> > char-major-81
> > Apr 30 00:54:45 rdenney last message repeated 4 times

> > *****Can anyone tell me how to tell what module char-major-81 is? This
> > error message does not occur when the other scanner on the chain (the E6
> > flatbed scanner) is accessed. (The latter works properly.)

> > I have made several changes to my system recently and only use my slide
> > scanner occasionally, so I frankly am not sure when this problem cropped
> > up.  But I am ANNOYED!

> > Rick

> According to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt

>  81 char        video4linux

> I won't be of much help here beyond that though. I know xscanimage can
> look for and use /dev/video and /dev/bttv, which is what its trying to
> find, but I don't know why it would bomb out on not finding it.

> You could try inserting the scsi (whatever one is appropriate) and sg
> modules manually first to see if that helps, because apparently its not
> finding an input source, and you should also be able to comment out the
> entries in sane.d/v4l.conf to get it to stop looking for char-major-81.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have v4l configured in the kernel (or as a
module), I don't think. I did try REMing out the references to the /dev/video
and /dev/bttv devices in /etc/sane.d/vfl.conf. Now I don't get references to
failures of the char-major-81 failing to load. However, the fundamental
problem remains. The following is typical of the /var/log/messages I get
after the scanner is accessed. (Note that the scanner does begin to cycle
when accessed: it lowers the slide in place and sounds like it begins to
scan, so it seems that the scanner is recognized as being there.)

The obvious thing is an immediate timout (first line). Then the card (host 0)
and entire bus reset (lines 2 and 3). Then a data overrun is detected from
the scanner (scsi0:0:3:0). The last lines indicate that the bus is trying to
access the CDROM writer (scsi0 0 1 0) and failing due to a timeout. (There
was a data cdrom in the drive at the time).

Clearly the SCSI chain goes nuts!

Output to /var/log/messages when I use GIMP to acquire a preview from the
35t+ scanner (from the preview window of GIMP):

Apr 30 20:34:32 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
0, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Read Reverse 00 00 00 06 00
Apr 30 20:34:33 rdenney kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out -
resetting
Apr 30 20:34:33 rdenney kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

Apr 30 20:34:42 rdenney kernel: (scsi0:0:3:0) Data overrun detected in
Data-In phase, tag 2;
Apr 30 20:34:42 rdenney kernel:   Have seen Data Phase. Length=6, NumSGs=1.
Apr 30 20:34:42 rdenney kernel:      sg[0] - Addr 0x9088000 : Length 6
Apr 30 20:34:44 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
0, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Prevent/Allow Medium Removal 00 00 00 01 00
Apr 30 20:34:46 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
0, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Prevent/Allow Medium Removal 00 00 00 00 00
Apr 30 20:34:52 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
0, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Read Reverse 00 00 00 06 00
Apr 30 20:34:54 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
0, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Request Sense 00 00 00 40 00

I have verified again that the scanner works fine under Windows NT on the
same machine, so there is no doubt that this is a software glitch, probably
resulting from various kernel upgrades I have done recently. Sigh...

Rick

1. Can't locate module char-major-81

A few weeks ago I could make my philips USB webcam working (module pwc and pwcx)
with VIC MBONE video conference application. It worked very well.

but for other reasons, I upgrade the kernel version without trying to make
the camera working again :

Now, I want to reinstall the camera but I get new problems :

modprobe pwc size=qcif fps=15 power_save=1
-> OK :
Aug  2 13:31:24 kandela kernel: pwc Philips PCA645/646 + PCVC675/680/690 + PCVC730/740 webcam module version 8.0 loaded.
Aug  2 13:31:24 kandela kernel: pwc Also supports Askey VC010 cam.
Aug  2 13:31:24 kandela kernel: pwc Default framerate set to 15.
Aug  2 13:31:24 kandela kernel: pwc Default image size set to qcif [176x144].
Aug  2 13:31:24 kandela kernel: pwc Enabling power save on open/close.
Aug  2 13:31:24 kandela kernel: usb.c: registered new driver Philips webcam
Aug  2 13:31:24 kandela kernel: pwc Philips PCVC690K (Vesta Scanner) USB webcam detected.
Aug  2 13:31:24 kandela kernel: pwc Registered as /dev/video0.

problems comes when I run video applications as xawtv or vic
->

Aug  2 13:31:02 kandela modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81-1
Aug  2 13:31:02 kandela modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81-2
Aug  2 13:31:02 kandela modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81-3

I have tryed again older kernel version (2.2.28, 2.4.3, 2.4.4, 2.4.5) to find the
configuration I had when the camera worked but I don't remember exactly the version
I used when it worked.

I am almost sure the kernel compilation options are OK - according to installations
instructions (http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/)

I would like some help.

Thanks

2. screen/emacs binding problem answers (long)

3. module char-major-81-1 not found

4. YDL/CS 1.2: Emulate 3-button mouse w/ 1-button ADB?

5. modprobe: cannot locate module char-major-10-xxx

6. test

7. Can't find module char-major-5, sound busy no /dev/sequencer nor synth0

8. "signature" problem with AHA1520B

9. appletalk+ipx modules & "can't locate module char-major-10-135"

10. cannot modprob "char-major-10-135" after compiling new kernel

11. cannot modprob char-major-10-135

12. module char-major-10-135

13. char-major-10-135 module?