112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by Badlan » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am looking for anyone who has successfully ran thier socket 7 system at
112 or 124MHz bus speed.  http://www.tomshardware.com/moth-s7-1018.html
mentions that FIC PA-2013 is capable of running it stablly, but I have
some serious questions about what cards/drives will work at it, and what
Linux will think of it... and would like to hear from anyone that has
actually done it.

I was thinking of building a system based on this board and an
AMD-K6-2-3d-350MHz CPU, and running it at 112x3.5, or 124x3.0 or
124x3.5... In theory it would be very fast, but I don't know if it would
be stable, or what cards should be considered to keep it running.

Anyone have any experiance with this?

--

http://counter.current.nu            - Operation Countersign web site
http://www.current.nu                - personal web site

112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by Vladimir Sinitsy » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

What about microwaving cats? Do you like the results so far?

-Vladimir

>Doug ?):-)

>Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!
>--

112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by Douglas Watso » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I don't have that particular MB, but I was running the AMD K6/2-300 at
112X3.5... I never noticed any problems with the OS, but the hardware
had a huge hang up.  My modem hasn't worked since.  I do have two large
fans in the case, but the temp was still sky high.  I have an electronic
temp gauge with the sensor just above the cpu, it was reading 93 degrees
celsius.  Now that I have it back down to the recomended settings the
temp is at 58 degrees.

If you do want to push the chip then I recomend a few things.
        1. Get some good fans, not the slow 12v kind... get the high flow kind
usually 115v or 220v. I have one blowing into the case and the other
blowing out the other side (don't forget that heat rises).
        2. Find out what the MB specifications are, particularly the voltage
regulators.  You need to know just how good they regulate the voltage.
It seems odd but the higher the tempiture the more voltage you need, if
the CPU wants 3.3v at 50 degrees then it needs 3.45 at 70 degrees...
Just be sure not to go above the max the CPU recomends (I haven't looked
at the specs in a while but I think its about 4v).
        3. Get yourself a temp guage with an external sensor (I bought the
el-cheapo from Radio-Shack)
        4. I know it isn't easy, but try to get the specs on your peripheral
cards as well.  Try not to exceed there limitation (too much :)

Again, the only trouble I had was with my modem.  Unfortunatly the only
thing I had spare was a 28.8 winmodem which leaves me using Windoze for
my email until I can get a new one :-(

Doug ?):-)

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!
--

> I am looking for anyone who has successfully ran thier socket 7 system at
> 112 or 124MHz bus speed.  http://www.tomshardware.com/moth-s7-1018.html
> mentions that FIC PA-2013 is capable of running it stablly, but I have
> some serious questions about what cards/drives will work at it, and what
> Linux will think of it... and would like to hear from anyone that has
> actually done it.

> I was thinking of building a system based on this board and an
> AMD-K6-2-3d-350MHz CPU, and running it at 112x3.5, or 124x3.0 or
> 124x3.5... In theory it would be very fast, but I don't know if it would
> be stable, or what cards should be considered to keep it running.

> Anyone have any experiance with this?

> --

> http://counter.current.nu            - Operation Countersign web site
> http://www.current.nu                - personal web site
> "Hey mister, turn it on, turn it up, and turn me loose." - Dwight Yoakam

112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by David A. Frant » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Do they taste* Chicken?????

Dave

>What about microwaving cats? Do you like the results so far?

>-Vladimir

>>Doug ?):-)

>>Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!
>>--

112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by Vladimir Sinitsy » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Doesn't everything taste like chicken? :-)

-Vladimir

>Do they taste* Chicken?????

>Dave

>>What about microwaving cats? Do you like the results so far?

>>-Vladimir

>>>Doug ?):-)

>>>Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!
>>>--

112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by Vladimir Sinitsy » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Doesn't everything taste like chicken? :-)

-Vladimir

>Do they taste* Chicken?????

>Dave

>>What about microwaving cats? Do you like the results so far?

>>-Vladimir

>>>Doug ?):-)

>>>Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!
>>>--

112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by Vladimir Sinitsy » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Doesn't everything taste like chicken? :-)

-Vladimir

>Do they taste* Chicken?????

>Dave

>>What about microwaving cats? Do you like the results so far?

>>-Vladimir

>>>Doug ?):-)

>>>Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!
>>>--

112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by Vladimir Sinitsy » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Doesn't everything taste like chicken? :-)

-Vladimir

>Do they taste* Chicken?????

>Dave

>>What about microwaving cats? Do you like the results so far?

>>-Vladimir

>>>Doug ?):-)

>>>Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!
>>>--

112 and 124MHz Bus Speed Socket7?

Post by Dea » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am using a Soyo 5EHM at 112x2 for 224mhz on a P166mmx chip.

I have the jumpers set so both ISA and PCI are overclocked, and the
DRAM (PC100 -7ns)  is running at 112.

I like this board.

It is just as stable as 2.5x 66.

-Dean