ethernet card problem

Post by jim » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:48:08

Hi there,

A networking/ethernet card config problem:

 I have installed Mandrake on a machine which has what Windows called a
"3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI for Complete Pc Management NIC (3C905C-TX)."
However, on startup Linux identifies it as "3Com 3c905C Tornado" and gives
the error "***INVALID CHECKSUM 002f***".
It identifies the card as being at 0xd800 with IRQ 10, which is what Windows
thought too.
The driver installed is 3c59x.c and the card is installed (term?) as eth0.

When I try to use dhcpc to configure networking, it times out. I take it
this is due to the ethernet card not working - is this correct?
If so, what do I need to do to get it working? Bear in mind that I don't
know anything about Linux - for example, which files control the
configuration of the card.

Is there a HOWTO/troubleshooting guide for this type of thing?

 Thanks.

ethernet card problem

Post by Michael Salomo » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:54:49

visit the 3com site. ( www.3com.com)

(can't remeber exact url of driver, but search for 3c90x +linux +driver )

they have a driver ( source and compiled module ) specifically for that card.

will be testing it myself a bit later.

m.

> Hi there,

> A networking/ethernet card config problem:

>  I have installed Mandrake on a machine which has what Windows called a
> "3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI for Complete Pc Management NIC (3C905C-TX)."
> However, on startup Linux identifies it as "3Com 3c905C Tornado" and gives
> the error "***INVALID CHECKSUM 002f***".
> It identifies the card as being at 0xd800 with IRQ 10, which is what Windows
> thought too.
> The driver installed is 3c59x.c and the card is installed (term?) as eth0.

ethernet card problem

Post by jtnew » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:25:34

kudzu, the hardware detection tool, may have
misidentified the driver.

You should probably try the 3c90x driver.
You can go into /etc/modules.conf
and make sure you have something like

  alias eth0 3c90x

in there.  Alternatively, you can
use linuxconf to change the kernel module
for eth0.

 fgrep 3C905 /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c*.c
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c90x.c:    3C905C Family and 3C920 ASICs
EtherLink 10/100 PCI including
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c90x.c:    3C905B Family and 3C918 ASICs
EtherLink 10/100 PCI including
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c90x.c:    3C905B-COMBO  EtherLink 10/100
PCI COMBO
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c90x.c:    3C905B-T4     EtherLink 10/100
PCI T4
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c90x.c:    3C905B-FX     EtherLink 100 PCI
Fiber

> Hi there,

> A networking/ethernet card config problem:

>  I have installed Mandrake on a machine which has what Windows called a
> "3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI for Complete Pc Management NIC (3C905C-TX)."
> However, on startup Linux identifies it as "3Com 3c905C Tornado" and gives
> the error "***INVALID CHECKSUM 002f***".
> It identifies the card as being at 0xd800 with IRQ 10, which is what Windows
> thought too.
> The driver installed is 3c59x.c and the card is installed (term?) as eth0.

> When I try to use dhcpc to configure networking, it times out. I take it
> this is due to the ethernet card not working - is this correct?
> If so, what do I need to do to get it working? Bear in mind that I don't
> know anything about Linux - for example, which files control the
> configuration of the card.

> Is there a HOWTO/troubleshooting guide for this type of thing?

>  Thanks.

1. Fast Ethernet Card Problem with Solaris 2.6

Hi,

  I have a Sparc 20 with an internal 10 base-T Ethernet card on it.  I also
added a Fast Ethernet Card.  I installed Solaris 2.6, and selected hme as my
primary nic device.  Everything works fine, I can connect using the fast
ethernet card to the internet and to my network.  The problem is that, it is
very very slow.  It's slower than the 10 base-T.  I don't know what wrong
with this configuration.  I didn't configure my computer as a router, I'm
just using the hme device.  Can someone help me on this one.  Please email

Thanks,

Mark Madlangbayan

2. Lex/Yacc problems

3. NetVin ISA ethernet card problem under RH5

4. eth1: Couldn't allocate a 65536 byte receive ring.

5. Ethernet Card problems? or what?

6. unix tutorial

7. HELP!! Ethernet card problem!

8. cross planform C++ graphic