IDE tape setup suddenly quits working. Why?

IDE tape setup suddenly quits working. Why?

Post by advl.. » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello:

For several months I had a tape backup that was successfully making
daily backups with BRU on a Seagate STT8000A.

However, I had a minor complaint with the way BRU was working, so I
thought I'd try different software.

Big mistake.

I installed (and subsequently uninstalled) PerfectBackup+, and now I
keep getting I/O errors I NEVER got before, and haven't had a successful
backup in three months.

Here's what I've tried:

- Reinstalled and checked the major and minor numbers for the /dev/ht?
devices.

- Re-linked /dev/tape to /dev/ht0.

- Recompiled my kernel to make sure the ide-tape module was available.

- Check to see whether drive fails under other kernels (It does.)

- Uninstalled and reinstalled the mt-st RPM.

Linux recognizes (and even retensions) my tape drive on bootup, but
whenever I try just a simple 'mt status' (as root) I get an Input/output
error and these lines in /var/log/messages:

ide-tape: hdd <-> ht0, 600KBps, 14*26kB buffer, 2600kB pipeline, 310ms
tDSC, DMA
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 34, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  3
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  1, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  3
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 34, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  3
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  1, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  3

I'm completely at a loss now, and could use some expert help.
What could possibly disable it so thoroughly, when it had been working
so reliably?
Please help.

TIA,
--Alan Vlach

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Help, please: formerly working IDE tape setup has quit

Hello:

For several months I had a tape backup that was making daily backups
with BRU on a Seagate STT8000A.

However, tapes backed up on my SCSI tape drvie at home (Seagate
STT28000N) wouldn't read on the IDE drive at work, so I thought I would
try different backup software.

Big mistake.

Ever since I installed (and subsequently uninstalled) PerfectBackup+, my
IDE tape drive hasn't worked, and now I've gone about 3 weeks without a
backup.

I've reinstalled and checked the major and minor numbers for the
/dev/ht? devices, re-linked /dev/tape to /dev/ht0,
recompiled my kernel to make sure the ide-tape module was available, and
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the mt-st RPM.

Linux recognizes (and even retensions) my tape drive on bootup, but
whenever I try just a simple 'mt status' (as root) I get an Input/output
error and these lines in /var/log/messages:

ide-tape: hdd <-> ht0, 600KBps, 14*26kB buffer, 2600kB pipeline, 310ms
tDSC, DMA
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 34, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  3
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  1, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  3
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 34, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  3
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  1, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  3

I'm completely at a loss now, and could use some expert help.
What could possibly disable it so thoroughly, when it had be working so
reliably?
Please help.

TIA,
--Alan Vlach

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. terminfo: color vs BW : was COLORFUL PKGTOOL

3. "route add -net ..." suddenly quit working...

4. is the adaptec 2940UW supported under linux

5. HELP!! Samba suddenly quit working right =(

6. compiling Apache-1.3.3 and mod_perl

7. ppp Connection to Internet Suddenly quits working!

8. help hp pavilion integrated AGP

9. IDE tape suddenly stopped operating, what would be the reason?

10. Why has my 'last' command suddenly stopped working?

11. puzzled why SpamAssassin quit working on me!

12. Has anyone figured out why doom quit working in 1.2.13

13. Why Has My PC Card Modem Quit Working?