boot/root disks not finding hard drive on Thinkpad 720

boot/root disks not finding hard drive on Thinkpad 720

Post by u.. » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:30:56

Hi,
I am trying to install Linux on a Thinkpad 720,
which is an old 486SL2 based laptop. When I boot
up with bare.i and color.gz, the system fails
to find a hard drive and none show up in /etc.
I tried mknod but I don't know the major/minor
numbers. Can anyone assist?
Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

boot/root disks not finding hard drive on Thinkpad 720

Post by Benedikt Berge » Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

According to http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/tp-linux.html,
the 720 is a MCA machine. AFAIK Linux supports MCA,
but the setup is not a simple one. See
http://www.almeida.onlinehome.de/edocs/mcalinuxe.htm on MCA
on Linux (especially on an TP700, which is also a MCA machine).

HTH,
Benedikt Berger

> Hi,
> I am trying to install Linux on a Thinkpad 720,
> which is an old 486SL2 based laptop. When I boot
> up with bare.i and color.gz, the system fails
> to find a hard drive and none show up in /etc.
> I tried mknod but I don't know the major/minor
> numbers. Can anyone assist?
> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

boot/root disks not finding hard drive on Thinkpad 720

Post by Benedikt Berge » Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi again,

This is the Linux MCA homepage  :
http://www.dgmicro.com/mca/devices-machines.html

HTH,
Benedikt Berger

> Hi,
> I am trying to install Linux on a Thinkpad 720,
> which is an old 486SL2 based laptop. When I boot
> up with bare.i and color.gz, the system fails
> to find a hard drive and none show up in /etc.
> I tried mknod but I don't know the major/minor
> numbers. Can anyone assist?
> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Linux on a Thinkpad 720 - 160MB disk, How?

Has anybody put Linux on Thinkpad 720? W/ 160MB disk?

I tried a slackware-compatible bootdisk from peipa.cs.uk (something
like that) that would automagically detect the disk paramters.
It came back with 64 heads, and then proceeded to croak that
the head count was > 16.

Running PCTOOLS on this disk gives the following geometry
    head=64, cylinders=161, sectors/cyl = 32

With 512 bytes/sector that gives me 168,820,7xx bytes.

THis is an ESDI disk. If it was IDE with proper sector translation,
I could divide the heads by four and multiply the cylinders by
4 to get the same storage, but that doesn't work.

Any good ideas out there? Anybody done this?

Thanks,
Phil

2. Open Office Install

3. IBM ThinkPad 720 Disk Geometry Problem

4. Linux on the Amiga 386SX bridgecard?

5. ThinkPad 720 IBM Harddisk information?

6. cannot create /dev/ecpp0

7. IBM ThinkPad 720?

8. USA-NY-JOBS-CONTRACT-Unix Systems Programmer-Spectrum Concepts Consulting Corporation

9. linux on Thinkpad 720

10. Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

11. Boot Disk Cannot Find Hard Disk.

12. R: Boot Disk Cannot Find Hard Disk.