Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 200 MMX

Post by SubbaRao V. Chittur » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am planning to buy a Pentium System soon.
The choice I have to make is Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 133/166/200 MMX.

Is there any mega performance difference between these two processors?

Besides Intel is coming out with Pentium II in few months. Is is it
worth going for a Pentium Pro for the cost?

Does linux work well on it( Pentium Pro )?

Thank you for any pointers, information and advice.

Subba.Rao

Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 200 MMX

Post by David T » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am planning to buy a Pentium System soon.
>The choice I have to make is Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 133/166/200 MMX.

>Is there any mega performance difference between these two processors?

Don't know.  I suspect PPro is faster, though, sound and fury re:MMX
notwithstanding.

Quote:>Besides Intel is coming out with Pentium II in few months. Is is it
>worth going for a Pentium Pro for the cost?

see below

Quote:>Does linux work well on it( Pentium Pro )?

Yes.

Here's some Intel news from the last few months to help you out (gleaned
from InfoWorld and PCweek):

  Intel pledges to increase desktop computing power by factor of 10 over
  current mainstream machines by the year 2000 (errm, won't Alpha, PA,
  do that already?) "We are offering workstation power and mainstream
  affordability on a single architecture."

  A 233MHZ PentiumII with 512KB cache is expected to run about as fast or
  a little slower than a PPro200 with 256KB cache.  A PII will be priced
  higher, anyways.  Will this drive PPro prices down?  No clue here!

  P7 (64-bit effort with HP) development is running late.

Everything clear now?

Dave Tan

1. Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 200 MMX

I am planning to buy a Pentium System soon.
The choice I have to make is Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 133/166/200 MMX.

Is there any mega performance difference between these two processors?

Besides Intel is coming out with Pentium II in few months. Is is it
worth going for a Pentium Pro for the cost?

Does linux work well on it( Pentium Pro )?

Thank you for any pointers, information and advice.

Subba.Rao

2. Save money!!!

3. DELL Optiplex GXPRO 200, with Intel-Chipset Neptuma and Pentium PRO 200 MHz

4. Home Network

5. Pentium Pro 150 vs P5-200

6. quake installation error

7. linux for Pentium MMX-200

8. $DISPLAY setting

9. Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

10. I Need a Dual Pentium 200 MMX Motherboard any Recos?

11. Linux on a Pentium 200 MMX

12. Need help to install linux on pentium 200 mmx

13. sar and %wio on pentium 200 and pentium II 333