Tape backup system for Linux and Win95?

Post by Hiroshi Shiba » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I am looking for the tape backup system that can
be available for both Linux and Win95.

Which one is the best for this?

Are there anyone who konws its maker and type?

Will you kindly let me know?

Hiroshi Shibata

Nara
Japan

Post by Markus Pilzecke » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am looking for the tape backup system that can
> be available for both Linux and Win95.

> Which one is the best for this?

> Are there anyone who konws its maker and type?

> Will you kindly let me know?

> Hiroshi Shibata

> Nara
> Japan

The "standard" tape archiver for Linux is GNU-tar.  There are available several
ports of GNU-tar to the DOS world.  I don't have a precise reference, but there
have been more precise answers anywhere in the news.  Try a connect to
http://dejanews.com/forms/dnquery.html and fill into the search field
"tar dos" or "tar dos dat" and You will find some answers about successful
installations of DOS ports of GNU tar.

                      Hope it helps,

                         Markus

Sackpost:
  Markus Pilzecker         voice:   +49 6251 39415
  Am Wechsel 9a            V34,V17: +49 6251 39575

Post by William Ba » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I am looking for the tape backup system that can
: be available for both Linux and Win95.

i use a cheap ($89 U.S. Ditto 420 Insider) tape drive which works under
Linux 1.2.13 and Win95...

an Iomega Ditto 800 might be a better choice for users with large
drives... i've seen the unit on sale for $119 U.S.

: Which one is the best for this?

can't say... see the ftape/ztape FAQ(s) for clues on which NOT to buy...

i can say that i have been very pleased with KBackup as a tape backup
software system...

: Are there anyone who konws its maker and type?

Iomega, Quic-80 Wide (Sony 5122 tapes, and others)

the unit attaches to the second floppy port, comes with an extra floppy
cable and adapter ... but NO TAPE! :-(

installation is easy... included WIN95 software runs well (although, to
be honest, i have NOT done a "restore" yet <fingers crossed>)

hope this helps...

: Hiroshi Shibata

: Nara
: Japan