Need Small hard drive repair recommendations

Need Small hard drive repair recommendations

Post by Anthony Ewel » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:49:28

Hi All,

    I have a customer with an old Red Hat 7.2 server and
a bad hard drive.  For reasons I will not go into, he needs
to keep his Red Hat 7.2 and repair the hard drive.

    Problem:  I can not find any 6 GB or smaller hard drive
anymore (standard 3-1/2" IDE) to work with his old BIOS.

    I thought of something like Siig's UltraATA 133 PCI
controller card (http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=437)
to get around the BIOS problem with current hard drives.
But, I have no clue if it will work with 7.2.

    Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish.  Therefore, I am.

Post by Franklin M. Sile » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:16:23

> Hi All,

>    I have a customer with an old Red Hat 7.2 server and
> a bad hard drive.  For reasons I will not go into, he needs
> to keep his Red Hat 7.2 and repair the hard drive.

>    Problem:  I can not find any 6 GB or smaller hard drive
> anymore (standard 3-1/2" IDE) to work with his old BIOS.

>    I thought of something like Siig's UltraATA 133 PCI
> controller card (http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=437)
> to get around the BIOS problem with current hard drives.
> But, I have no clue if it will work with 7.2.

>    Anyone have any suggestions?

hmm..have you tried simply connecting a larger drive?

--
Franklin M. Siler    UIUC: Undergraduate in Electrical Engineering
Marching Illini Trumpets,  Basketball Band Staff,  ACM SigMation

Post by Anthony Ewel » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:28:09

>> Hi All,

>>    I have a customer with an old Red Hat 7.2 server and
>> a bad hard drive.  For reasons I will not go into, he needs
>> to keep his Red Hat 7.2 and repair the hard drive.

>>    Problem:  I can not find any 6 GB or smaller hard drive
>> anymore (standard 3-1/2" IDE) to work with his old BIOS.

>>    I thought of something like Siig's UltraATA 133 PCI
>> controller card (http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=437)
>> to get around the BIOS problem with current hard drives.
>> But, I have no clue if it will work with 7.2.

>>    Anyone have any suggestions?

> hmm..have you tried simply connecting a larger drive?

I am framiliar with this old board.  I sold several of them
about five years ago.  They will only take a sub 8 GB drive.
(7.9 works, 8.1 does not, 6 works great).

--
-------------------------
I Fish.  Therefore, I am.

Post by Marcelo Rodrigue » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:49:28

Need Small hard drive repair recommendations

Post by Anthony Ewel » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:00:15

Quote:> Will work = the board reconizes the size correctly

> or

> Will work = only works if...

Recognizes correctly.

Quote:> Because I have seen many boards that can handle a maximum of 8 GB HD. What
> usualy happens is: Your bigger HD looks like a 8 GB one. Not the eight
> wonderful, but is better than no HD at all...

I wounder if Partitoin Magic will accept a 40 that looks like an 8 in
BIOS?

Quote:> P.S. - Usually Linux get the right size of the HD. Since the BIOS boot the
> system, the grub (or LILO) must be on the start of disk, and the files
> needed to boot too.

Sounds like Partition Magic would have a cow trying to copy the old
to the new.  Better to get the BIOS right first.

--Tony

Post by Anthony Ewel » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:17:12

Quote:> www.ebay.com seems to offer a bunch for a few bucks.

> Hard Drives-IDE
>    5.0 GB & Less (617)
>    5.1 GB-10.0 GB (433)

Thank you.  Unfortunately, I do not trust anything from ebay for
mission critical equipment.  :-(

Post by General Schvantzkop » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:38:33

> Hi All,

>     I have a customer with an old Red Hat 7.2 server and
> a bad hard drive.  For reasons I will not go into, he needs
> to keep his Red Hat 7.2 and repair the hard drive.

>     Problem:  I can not find any 6 GB or smaller hard drive
> anymore (standard 3-1/2" IDE) to work with his old BIOS.

>     I thought of something like Siig's UltraATA 133 PCI
> controller card (http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=437)
> to get around the BIOS problem with current hard drives.
> But, I have no clue if it will work with 7.2.

>     Anyone have any suggestions?

> Many thanks,
> --Tony

A Promise card will do the trick. If you need to run Redhat 7.2 try and
find a Promise Ultra 66. I don't remember if the Ultra 100s were supported
under 7.2 but the 66s definitely were and the 133s definitely weren't.

Post by Anthony Ewel » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:47:26

>>I wounder if Partitoin Magic will accept a 40 that looks like an 8 in
>>BIOS?

> Why Partition Magic? Use a live CD Distro! :))

To copy data from the old hard drive to the new

Post by Anthony Ewel » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:48:37

>>Hi All,

>>    I have a customer with an old Red Hat 7.2 server and
>>a bad hard drive.  For reasons I will not go into, he needs
>>to keep his Red Hat 7.2 and repair the hard drive.

>>    Problem:  I can not find any 6 GB or smaller hard drive
>>anymore (standard 3-1/2" IDE) to work with his old BIOS.

>>    I thought of something like Siig's UltraATA 133 PCI
>>controller card (http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=437)
>>to get around the BIOS problem with current hard drives.
>>But, I have no clue if it will work with 7.2.

>>    Anyone have any suggestions?

>>Many thanks,
>>--Tony

> A Promise card will do the trick. If you need to run Redhat 7.2 try and
> find a Promise Ultra 66. I don't remember if the Ultra 100s were supported
> under 7.2 but the 66s definitely were and the 133s definitely weren't.

Cool!  Thank you.  :-)

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish.  Therefore, I am.

Post by Anthony Ewel » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:54:13

> Ah well, there are even "new" ones offered. Anyway it remains
> unclear why you are running "mission critical" systems on such
> a crappy old hardware and don't even seem to have any spare parts
> for them in addition.

> Good luck

Thank you.  I will need it.  "Mission critical" when it is down;
"unnecessary" when it is working.  But, they always pay their
bills -- nice people too.  Now if only ...

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish.  Therefore, I am.

Need Small hard drive repair recommendations

Post by Anthony Ewel » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:09:18

Quote:> A Promise card will do the trick. If you need to run Redhat 7.2 try and
> find a Promise Ultra 66. I don't remember if the Ultra 100s were supported
> under 7.2 but the 66s definitely were and the 133s definitely weren't.

Dang!  They are out of stock.  :-(

Post by Linn » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:11:47

> Hi All,

>     I have a customer with an old Red Hat 7.2 server and
> a bad hard drive.  For reasons I will not go into, he needs
> to keep his Red Hat 7.2 and repair the hard drive.

>     Problem:  I can not find any 6 GB or smaller hard drive
> anymore (standard 3-1/2" IDE) to work with his old BIOS.

If his motherboard is as old as the hard drive, most likely
there is a limit of 8.4G.

Quote:

>     I thought of something like Siig's UltraATA 133 PCI
> controller card (http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=437)
> to get around the BIOS problem with current hard drives.
> But, I have no clue if it will work with 7.2.

You would have to custom build the kernel to support it.

Quote:

>     Anyone have any suggestions?

2.5" + 3.5 to 2.5 adaptor
There are still some labtop drives below 8G.

1" (CF) + IDE-CF adaptor
CF Microdrives are available in 2.2G from Hitachi
and 2.5G and 5G from Seagate soon.

> Many thanks,
> --Tony

1. Need Help Diagnosing/Repairing Hard Drive Error Message

I have installed OpenBSD3.2 a little over 3 hours ago on my old PII-266mhz
system.  Every 30 minutes, and sometimes sooner, the following error
message scrolls by the console:

Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd: wd0(pciide0:0:0): timeout
Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd:     type: ata
Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd:     c_bcount: 2048
Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd:     c_skip: 0
Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd: pciide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x21
Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd: wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA
mode 0
Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd: wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA
mode 0
Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd: wd0a: device timeout reading fsbn 8806064 of 8806064-8806067 (wd0 bn 8806127; cn 8736 tn 3 sn 50), retrying
Apr  5 06:00:12 darla /bsd: wd0: soft error (corrected)
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd: wd0(pciide0:0:0): timeout
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd:     type: ata
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd:     c_bcount: 8192
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd:     c_skip: 0
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd: pciide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x21
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd: wd0: transfer error, downgrading to DMA mode 2
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd: wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd: wd0a: device timeout reading fsbn 15704464 of 15704464-15704479 (wd0 bn 15704527; cn 15579 tn 14 sn 13), retrying
Apr  5 06:26:23 darla /bsd: wd0: soft error (corrected)

It appears to me to be some sort of error in handling DMA, but is there a
way I can "tweak" the drive parameters, or in some way permanently fix
things so that this error will go away?  I would appreciate any help that
can be offered.  This box has a bright future ahead, so I'm trying to get
all issues out of the way.  Thanks.

Joe Doe

2. dump?

3. Recommendation needed (Jaz or Hard Drive?)

4. Apache PATH variable as used by CGI

5. Hard Disk Drive Repair (ADVERT)

6. Proxy ARP / IP Forwarding

7. Hard Drive Repair

8. Request for comments on WD Caviar vs. Connor 540A

9. Repair failure for IDE hard drive on Solaris 8 (Intel)

10. Recommendation of Logitech wireless keyboard and wirless mouse - small one to fit my hand - needed

11. Linux on small hard drives, help please

12. Small hard drive and Red hat

13. small hard drive