USB external storage mount problem

Post by Haines Brow » Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:21:56

After using an external usb storage device on woody and sarge for a
couple years, I now can no longer mount it (I recently upgraded to
kernel 2.4.27-2-386 and set up usb-key mounting. The device is a
Maxtor USB 2040ROM001, and I'm running debian Sarge.

I've been using sdd1 interface for the device, for I have three scsi
hard disks.

        $ mount /media/mirror
        mount: /dev/sdd1 is not a valid block device

The fstab entry remains the same as always (same result when mounting
from command line):

        /dev/sdd1   /media/mirror      ext2     noauto,user     0 0

The sdd device file is not being used by anything else:

        $ mount
        dev/sdc1 on / type reiserfs (rw)
        proc on /proc type proc (rw)
        tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
        /dev/sdc5 ...
        usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

To support the disk, I need the usb-storage driver:

  $ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
  T:  Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#=  8 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
  D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
  P:  Vendor=0d49 ProdID=3000 Rev=11.01
  S:  Manufacturer=Maxtor
  S:  Product=Maxtor USB Drive
  S:  SerialNumber=1200E000022127397
  C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 2 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 98mA
  I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
  E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
  E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
  E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=32ms

The necessary drivers are indeed loaded:

  $ lsmod | grep usb
  usb-storage            54496   0
  usb-uhci               19504   0 (unused)
  usbcore                52268   1 [usb-storage printer usb-uhci]
  ide-core               91832   0 [usb-storage piix]
  scsi_mod               86052   8 (autoclean) [st sg sr_mod usb-storage
        sd_mod aic79xx aic7xxx]

When I plug it in, syslog says:

  kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.4-2.2, assigned address 9
  kernel: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
  kernel: USB Mass Storage device found at 9
  usb.agent[31714]:      usb-storage: already loaded

I searched whether the 2.4.27-2 kernal had a problem with usb storage.
In one case, sd_mod module needed to be loaded, but that's not my
problem.

This seems to leave the possiblity that the external disk has a
partition table problem, so I do:

  # fdisk -l /dev/sdd1

I get returns showing the partitions of my hard disks sda, sdb, and
sdc, but no return for sdd. So apparently the disk is not accessible.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM

USB external storage mount problem

Post by Allen McIntos » Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:21:56

Quote:>   # fdisk -l /dev/sdd1

The partition table is in /dev/sdd, not /dev/sdd1.

Post by Haines Brow » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:41:13

> >   # fdisk -l /dev/sdd1

> The partition table is in /dev/sdd, not /dev/sdd1.

Sorry, I was not thinking. But the same result with

     # fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Nothing is shown. I know that the problem is also not with my mount
command because the raw disk can't be accessed:

        $ sudo dd if=/opt/tmp/temp of=/dev/sdd
        dd: writing `/dev/sdd': Input/output error
        0+1 records in
        0+0 records out
        0 bytes transferred in 0.004572 seconds (0 bytes/sec)

I suppose it could simply be a hardware problem, but I have first to
exclude any other possibility.

Let me add this information. When trying to install a usb-memory
stick, I could not mount it. I discovered that my BIOS was set to
boot USB, and that caused the problem, for it changed my boot device
sequence numbers (if the stick was inserted?) and I could no longer
boot disks that had acquired a new number. When I disabled USB boot in
BIOS to recover the original device sequence, I was then able to boot
my system and insert and mount the stick after I had gotten up.

Although sda, sdb, and sdc hard disks now are bootable and accessible,
for some reason apparently sdd no longer associates with my external
usb disk. I may have last booted with the stick inserted. I removed it
only after my current boot. So I wonder if somehow the system linked
sdd with the usb-memory-stick during the last boot, although the stick
itself is not currently plugged in.

Does my sdd device interface file get associated with a particular
device in /proc during a boot so that the link persists until the next
boot? I don't want to have to reboot until I know this is possible.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM

Post by Bob Jame » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:09:48

> The device is a
> Maxtor USB 2040ROM001, and I'm running debian Sarge.
[...]
>         $ mount /media/mirror
>         mount: /dev/sdd1 is not a valid block device

I've run into a similar situation with some external Maxtor 300G
drives hooked via USB to some Dell 1U servers.  The servers are
running Debian Woody with kernel 2.4.31.

If I have to reboot the servers for any reason, when they come back
up, I'll see a similar message that the partition tables of the
external Maxtor drives can no longer be read.  At this point I have to
power off the Maxtor drives and then unload the usb-storage kernel
module.  When I power the drives back up, the usb-storage module gets
reloaded and the kernel can once again access the parttion table of
the drive, and the partitions can be remounted.

As best as I can tell, it's just something quirky in the firmware of
the USB/IDE interface used in those external enclosures.

Post by Haines Brow » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:47:34

> > The device is a
> > Maxtor USB 2040ROM001, and I'm running debian Sarge.
> [...]
> >         $ mount /media/mirror
> >         mount: /dev/sdd1 is not a valid block device

> I've run into a similar situation with some external Maxtor 300G
> drives hooked via USB to some Dell 1U servers.  The servers are
> running Debian Woody with kernel 2.4.31.

> If I have to reboot the servers for any reason, when they come back
> up, I'll see a similar message that the partition tables of the
> external Maxtor drives can no longer be read.  At this point I have to
> power off the Maxtor drives and then unload the usb-storage kernel
> module.  When I power the drives back up, the usb-storage module gets
> reloaded and the kernel can once again access the parttion table of
> the drive, and the partitions can be remounted.

> As best as I can tell, it's just something quirky in the firmware of
> the USB/IDE interface used in those external enclosures.

Eureka! I ran # rmmod usb-storage, # modprobe usb-storage, and now can
mount it (didn't reboot).

I have to assume that my kernel upgrade to 2.4.27-2-386 was the
culprit, or maybe it was just a fluke.

I thank you for your very helpful suggestion.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM

Post by Bob Jame » Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:37:24

> Eureka! I ran # rmmod usb-storage, # modprobe usb-storage, and now can
> mount it (didn't reboot).

That's interesting.  In my scenario, just rmmod'ing usb-storage and
reloading it, is not enough by itself.  The external drives have to be
reset (power cycled) in addition to reloading usb-storage.

A side note on this situation.  I recently got two more of these same
Maxtor 300G (One Touch II) drives and have them hooked to some other
systems (non-Dell) and so far, I've not run into this quirk.  I'm
wondering now if it's not so much something quirky in the USB
controller of the Dells, vs. the firmware of the Maxtor drives.

USB external storage mount problem

Post by Haines Brow » Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:32:33

I'm running out of space on my external maxtor USB, and so thinking of
a bigger size.  The "One Touch" with its internal software worries
me. Sounds like something tailored to Windows, and I wonder if I can
just ignore the Touch button and software and run it simply as a USB
drive. Apparently that's what you do.

I've used my Maxtor for years, and never a problem. I run a script
that simply copies everything. I suppose the sensible thing to do
would be just to backup my personal stuff and some configuration, but
it was hard enough for me to arrive at a script that did what I
wanted the first time, and so I don't know.

But other than that one time having to reload the module, I've never
had any problems with the Maxtor. There are some other manufacturers
now (when I got it, Maxtor was the only choice), but I've not heard
about any being better than the other.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM

Post by Bob Jame » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:40:41

> The "One Touch" with its internal software worries me. Sounds like
> something tailored to Windows, and I wonder if I can just ignore the
> Touch button and software and run it simply as a USB drive. Apparently
> that's what you do.

Yes, that's exactly how I use all four of the ones I have.  I neither
needed or looked at any of the included software that came with the
drives.  All of them are being used with either kernel 2.4.30 or
2.4.31.  No problems with them, other than the reboot quirk on the
two that are hooked to Dell PE750 servers.  The other other two, I
just got and although I haven't seen the reboot quirk with them and
the servers they're attached to, I haven't really had them long
enough to be certain.  I've even had a couple of the drives attached
to OS X systems via Firewire, and didn't need any of the included
Maxtor software for those systems either.

Overall though, even with the reboot quirk, I liked the Maxtor One
Touch drives enough to buy two more. :)

Quote:> I've used my Maxtor for years, and never a problem. I run a script
> that simply copies everything. I suppose the sensible thing to do
> would be just to backup my personal stuff and some configuration, but
> it was hard enough for me to arrive at a script that did what I
> wanted the first time, and so I don't know.

I've been using rsync with these drives.  I have some scripts that do
my archives as well, but essentially it's rsync doing the work.

Quote:> There are some other manufacturers now (when I got it, Maxtor was
> the only choice), but I've not heard about any being better than the
> other.

If you needed something really big (i.e., >300G), you could easily
just put together your own combination of external USB/Firewire
enclosure and drive combination.  NewEgg[1] has a lot of choices
for both the enclosures[2] and large drives[3].  At the time I bought my
first two 300G external Maxtor drives, I had read a variety of
things about certain chipsets not being able to support large drives
properly.  As I didn't have a lot of time, I figured I'd go with
Maxtor because the chipset/controller in the enclosure must be able
to support the large drive.  Now, I would guess any new external
USB/Firewire enclosure would be able to support large drives.

[1]: http://www.newegg.com/
[2]: http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=92
[3]: http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=14