Adaptec AVA1505

Post by Martin Radfor » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I've seen the Adaptec AVA1505 available relatively cheap; it's
mentioned in passing at the end of the SCSI-HOWTO, but I can't find
anything about it in the source tree.

Does anyone have any good/bad stories about this controller?  Which
driver do I need to compile into my kernel?

Martin
--
Martin Radford

Adaptec AVA1505

Post by Louis-Marius Pine » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I've seen the Adaptec AVA1505 available relatively cheap; it's
> mentioned in passing at the end of the SCSI-HOWTO, but I can't find
> anything about it in the source tree.

> Does anyone have any good/bad stories about this controller?  Which
> driver do I need to compile into my kernel?

> Martin

Hi.

The Ava 1505 is a good scsi controller that works great with Linux. You
can use it with the aha152x driver. The only thing with this controller
is that it cannot be used for boot disk since it does not have any bios.

Louis-M. Pineau

Adaptec AVA1505

Post by Guenther Dietri » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I've seen the Adaptec AVA1505 available relatively cheap; it's
> mentioned in passing at the end of the SCSI-HOWTO, but I can't find
> anything about it in the source tree.

> Does anyone have any good/bad stories about this controller?  Which
> driver do I need to compile into my kernel?

> Martin
> --
> Martin Radford

Hi Martin,

I'm not shure, but I think, the 1505 is similar to the 1510 and, like
this, without a BIOS extension. So you can't boot from devices connected
to this controller.
As far as I know, the 1505 will be handled by the 1520 driver, the reason
why it isn't mentioned explicitly in the kernel source code.
I got a 1510 very cheap and have no problems with it. It shold be faster
than a Future Domain 850 (8 bit) due to it's 16 bit bus interface.

--

Guenther Dietrich

http://homepages.munich.netsurf.de/Guenther.Dietrich

Adaptec AVA1505

Post by Mike » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I a cdrom and cd-r on on of these.  It is supported in the aha152x
driver, but you need to put an append line in your lilo.conf or type it
in at boot up.  I think this is because there is no bios on the card.  I
don't remember the line, but if anyone needs it, email me and i'll get
it to you.

-Mike

> I can't speak from a Linux perspective as I've only used 1505s/1515s under
> Dross, Windoze 95 and Windoze NT. The 1505 is the same as the 1515, only sans
> bios (on the 05). I have one of each. I've seen 1515s advertised for the same
> price as 05s, so grab a 1515 if you can as it has a bios and can therefore
> boot SCSI drives.

> Even though the 1505/1515 are ISA cards, they seem reasonably fast are are
> well-proven (not like the 2910/2920 - I've been hearing horror stories about
> those).

> You won't be disappointed - don't be put off by the low price.

> Clem

Adaptec AVA1505

Post by Jimmy D. Ballar » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I've seen the Adaptec AVA1505 available relatively cheap; it's
> mentioned in passing at the end of the SCSI-HOWTO, but I can't find
> anything about it in the source tree.

> Does anyone have any good/bad stories about this controller?  Which
> driver do I need to compile into my kernel?

> Martin
> --
> Martin Radford

I run RedHat4.2 and have the AVA1505 installed with UMAX scanner. SCSI
driver is aha152x, scanner software is SANE. Both work great on my 486.

1. Adaptec AVA1505 Will Linux ever see it :((

OK, so I am using Slackware3.1 and have tried scsi.s, bare.i and a few
others as bootdsks and only get my ava1505 scsi card to be found with
a kernel of 1.xx.xx from slackware 3.0 abare.i disk as opposed to
using a later kernel of 2.0.18 with the slackware 3.1 disk set? Can
anyone out there please help!!

TIA

Mark

2. Cogent EM964 Quartet Compatibility?!

3. Adaptec AVA1505 support?

4. Unix File Systems

5. Adaptec AVA1505 hangs

6. problem with finger and who

7. Adaptec AVA1505 irq problem !

8. arp/multicast problems

9. how do you install adaptec ava1505 scsi controller

10. Adaptec AVA1505

11. Adaptec AVA1505 SCSI controller

12. Adaptec AVA1505 SCSI controller and HP6000i DAT tape drive

13. Support for Adaptec AVA1505